Monthly Folding Challenge - July 2014

Friendly design and folding competitions.
TheNewOrigamist
Location: Surprise, Arizona, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Re: Monthly Folding Challenge - July 2014

Post by TheNewOrigamist »

I really stink at designing, but creative experience is always good, so here's my entry.

Bear bookmark, from a color changed bird base:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125460656 ... otostream/

Here it is modelling on a book to show it keeps your page (it is sort of blurry, I am sorry.):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125460656 ... 684188212/

Hope you like it!

P.S.-If you're wondering why it's blue, it's because I was originally going to submit a hummingbird I designed, but I forgot how to make it, so I started doodling and ended up with this. I'm pretty sure it's a bear because of the facial proportions. it could be a cat though. I really don't know.

P.P.S.-I've tried uploading photos, but it didn't work...so that's why the urls are there. Yes I read the thread about that.
HAVE SHOME SHPARKULZ!(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧
1alexm

Post by 1alexm »

Dear TheNewOrigamist,

Looks like a bear to me :) The nose is perfect :) Maybe you could tuck in the lower white eyes to narrow them down a bit, I think that'd look cool, but that's just me. I also like whole book mark concept.

Creative experience is always good. It enlivens the imagination and opens up new possibilities.Keep folding :)

Any feedback for my model would be appreciated (from anyone :) )
Creativity is @ \/\/£ 5 () |\/| £
TheNewOrigamist
Location: Surprise, Arizona, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Thanks for the feedback, 1alexm! Now, because you asked for it, I shall critique your model (i wish there was a monocle emoji so I could look all fancy, but that's off topic). The model is symmetric and the paper choice was nice and complimented the model. =D> . The wing design is cool, but does it flap? Not that that's important, but does it? Because it'd be cool if it did. I also like all the curves, as most traditional origami models are geometric and stiff, but you took the crane, changed the wing pattern, color changed the head, and thickened and curved the tail. Or are there multiple tails? You said in your post that there are, but I just see one broadened tail. Please clear this up. If there are multiple tails, another shot, perhaps from above, would be appreciated. As a friendly challenge, if the crane doesn't flap, see if you can make it flap, perhaps redistributing the folds so that some flaps aren't locked or something. Just a suggestion, though. It's a really nice model and I think that the name "Diamond Crane" suits it nicely. 8.5/10. I'm being a little critical, and I am sorry. But seriously though, good job alex!
1alexm

Post by 1alexm »

Thanks for your feedback! :D

I'm afraid due to the doubled up layers it won't flap and cannot be used as an action model.

I did say in 'tails' in my post... that was a typo, it's definitely 1 tail with a curved end. Sorry about that!

Going to decline your challenge as I don't have paper thin enough, and it does flap... but only after pulling the back half hard enough to create a small rip in the center base of the model haha.

I love over criticism in all aspects of my life, and I like to decide for myself if I want to make any changes :) So I really appreciate your feedback!

8.5 out of 10? I can live with that :D
TheNewOrigamist

Well, I'm glad you think I wasn't being too critical. I understand that you can't make it flap, it would be fun if you could though. Best of luck to you, I hope your model's a top pick!

P.S.-This is sort of completely random, but I'd give the bear bookmark a 7 because it's 3D and sorta sloppy. So your crane's really nice, especially with the fact that it looks simple, but probably isn't (is it?).
1alexm

Post by 1alexm »

No, it is rather simple.

All I really did was make a blintz base, pleat the triangles, make into a preliminary base and the rest is pretty much the same instructions as the traditional crane. Simple ideas can create big differences eh? 8)
TheNewOrigamist

Yes. Yes they can. On a side note, am I the only one who calls a preliminary base a square base?
firstfold
Forum Sensei

Post by firstfold »

Home Improvements
Folded from the traditional 2 dimensional origami house, this model has a door that opens and closes either from the left or right or as a two door model (see the white model in the center).
The original concept for this design is based on a design for a 3D house by Hyo Ahn – here is a link to instructions for folding the 3D house by Hyo Ahn
http://www.origami-make.com/howto-origami-house.php
In a few weeks I will make a video of how to fold my version that has the door that opens and shuts.
Charles "Doc" Santee
Flicker: https://www.flickr.com/photos/firstfold/
See action origami on Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/user/firstfold
Swapnil Das
Buddha

Post by Swapnil Das »

Wow, I must say, the house looks really awesome! I'd really love to fold it!
We're all stories in the end.

My flickr Please visit and comment as much as you can!
TheNewOrigamist

Nice house, firstfold!
tomjerrry

Post by tomjerrry »

seal from fish base
TheNewOrigamist

Cool seal, tomjerry! What paper is that?
OrigamiGeek
Forum Sensei

Post by OrigamiGeek »

looks like kami paper.
Check out my gallery and don't forget to leave a comment!
firstfold
Forum Sensei

Post by firstfold »

Instructions of how to fold

Home Improvements - 3D origami house with doors
Charles "Doc" Santee
Flicker: https://www.flickr.com/photos/firstfold/
See action origami on Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/user/firstfold
HankSimon
Buddha