Monthly Folding Challenge: November 2014

Friendly design and folding competitions.
ahudson
Forum Sensei

Re: Monthly Folding Challenge: November 2014

Post by ahudson »

ImageTrombone by origami_madness, on Flickr

Here's a Trombone! Folded from a 25cm square of foil.
Nepafarius

Post by Nepafarius »

Wow, I love how refined the model looks. If I had to pick between yours and Arisawa's, I'd go with yours, it seems sturdier, almost like it's actually made of metal.
ahudson
Forum Sensei

Post by ahudson »

You know what's funny? I hadn't even looked at the examples in the original post before designing this, and had to go look up Arisawa to figure out what you were talking about :oops:

I also started designing a French Horn yesterday; and when I search for Arisawa on flickr... Turns out he has done that too. Oh well.

Not sure if I'll have time to refold the French Horn from foil before the contest gets closed, so here's the draft version from kami:
valerite

Post by valerite »

Those are super awesome Andrew!
Do you play trombone yourself or is that music book for something else?

er, is this working?
URL: https://api.flickr.com/services/rest/?m ... ormat=rest

does anybody know what I'm doing wrong?
Nepafarius

Post by Nepafarius »

The link you posted has a bunch of urls in it. you can choose one of the ones that says static in the link(for example https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7522/155 ... 836eb4.jpg). Clickthe Img button. Place the url in between the sets of brackets and voila
firstfold
Forum Sensei

Post by firstfold »

Until I saw the trombone by Andrew Hudson, I thought that picking a winner would be easy. If I were to judge the entries on complexity of folding or quality of how the model was presented, Andrew would be the clear winner. If I picked based on originality of the concept and cohesiveness of elements and design theme, I would choose Nepafarius. I just wish I could call this challenge a tie.
I tend to make my choices for these challenges based on “originality”. Another person might come up with a different conclusion.
The winner (based on my very personal bias)for the month of November 2014 is Nepafarius and the "The Paper Jug Band". Very creative idea – I wonder if any of these can actually be played. If yes – share a video. If no, see if one or more of the instruments can be folded out of stiffer material and actually played. I think you would have to look quite a while to find an origami “washboard” and the idea of presenting a jug band I thought was unique. I did like the way crumpled paper seems to go with the rustic nature of the instruments folded.

Nepafarius will be the judge for next month and choose the January theme! I´ll post the December folding challenge this evening...
Charles "Doc" Santee
Flicker: https://www.flickr.com/photos/firstfold/
See action origami on Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/user/firstfold
ahudson
Forum Sensei

Post by ahudson »

Congratulations Nepafarius!

valerite, the book I used is "The Study of Orchestration" by Samuel Adler. I've never played trombone, but I got my BA in Music Composition :)
Nepafarius

Post by Nepafarius »

Thank you Andrew! Honestly since the decision was so close, I'd like to include you in something.

I have several ideas for what the theme of January should be, and was wondering if you'd like to help me choose one and iron out the details. The only issue with this is that you probably wouldn't be able to participate in the January challenge (though if you win December's challenge that would be the case regardless).
ahudson
Forum Sensei

Post by ahudson »

Sure, sounds like fun. I just pm'ed you.