Monthly Folding Challenge: January 2015

Friendly design and folding competitions.
Nepafarius

Monthly Folding Challenge: January 2015

Post by Nepafarius »

Happy New Year everyone! I wish you all great joy and prosperity this coming year!

"Out with the old and in with the new" is the saying, right? Not this month!

The theme for this month is: retro

There are several interpretations for this:

Objects that have nostalgic appeal. Obvious things like typewriters and phonographs, to Tommy guns and parachute pants. Anything that has been previously forgotten but is resurfacing.

Aesthetics that are retro. Zig-zags and tie-dye, noir black and gray. Paper, background, and the model itself can be used to create a visual spectacle reminiscent of another time.

Retro ideas. Religious, social, and philosophical ideas that are taking hold once again in the world. This one is a bit difficult, and my examples are limited to my experience in the United States. Things like the legalization of marijuana, which finds its roots in the hippie movements, to things like modern civil rights and gender concerns. This topic is up to interpretation, but may require explanation as to its connection to the past.

• Now for a lighter interpretation: Retro origami. This can be split into two parts.

o Bringing a model up to date. Traditional models from centuries ago could use a facelift! You can see this as an invitation to use a traditional model as inspiration for a new design that is evocative of the original, or an opportunity to update the model to remove any shortcomings you think it might have.

o Using outdated techniques. Two different techniques are usually frowned upon in modern origami. But now you can use both! You may use up to five different sized, shaped, and colored sheets to create a single model, with the exception of modular designs which have no limit. Head. torso, and appendages can be separate pieces, as well as any accessories. You may only submit one multi-sheet design; any other designs in further submissions or in conjunction with the multi-sheet design must be made with a single sheet apiece.

Cuts will also be allowed. However, only one step may contain cuts. This means as many cuts as desired are allowed, but all cuts must take place within the same step. If you fold the paper again or turn the model over, you are not permitted to use cuts again; repeating on symmetrical sides (i.e. identical flaps) is considered part on the same step. Any cuts that are drastically different from the original one made should be considered a separate step.

This last part of the challenge is a double edged blade. If used in moderation, cuts and multiple sheets can show how an artist can subtly infuse a taboo or foreign technique to enhance their model. However, they can also be seen as a crutch the designer is using in lieu of challenging themselves. Keep that in mind.

With all that said and done, I wish everyone the best of luck!
Nepafarius

Re: Monthly Folding Challenge: January 2015

Post by Nepafarius »

Here are some of my designs which go along with the updating a model.

My remake of the tradition goldfish:

And my remake of a shrimp design:

Both utilized cuts, which I removed the need for. I also updated the aesthetics of the shrimp, while still keeping to its more simplistic roots.
kirakinn

Post by kirakinn »

Hope this is retro enough! Simplified space invader, version 1.1
May update later!
Nepafarius

Post by Nepafarius »

kirakinn wrote:Image

May update later!
Nice video game theme piece! i like the color change! Maybe a different color scheme would get the nostalgia even higher!
kirakinn

Post by kirakinn »

Nepafarius wrote:
kirakinn wrote:Image

May update later!
Nice video game theme piece! i like the color change! Maybe a different color scheme would get the nostalgia even higher!
Thanks so much! I'm gonna try to refold it soon out of yellow and black paper, to match the original colors :D
marmalade

Post by marmalade »

Hmmm, it seems the average age of our forum members is too young to be interested in RETRO :wink:

Only ten days left, is there any surprise?
greencube07

Post by greencube07 »

marmalade wrote:Hmmm, it seems the average age of our forum members is too young to be interested in RETRO :wink:

Only ten days left, is there any surprise?
Even teenagers have their own memories of anything you know.. :)
Guess I'll be uploading mine since I'm done with it just a minute ago..
ginshun

Post by ginshun »

OK, so the fold wasn't designed by me, and I did't do it specifically for this challenge, so this is just for fun, but it fit the theme so well that I thought you guys might enjoy it anyway.
Its made from 244 of Max Hulme's "Pixel Units".

Nepafarius

Post by Nepafarius »

My apologies for creating the rather uninspiring topic which led to such a singular turnout, marmalade.

On the bright side, your judging should be rather simple.
marmalade

Post by marmalade »

Nepafarius wrote:My apologies for creating the rather uninspiring topic which led to such a singular turnout, marmalade.
Oh, please, no need for apologies, the topic is great! And about turnout, I think it is normal for this time of the year because all people just busy trying to settle up their new life's and new plans for the new year. Also, the youngest part of us is busy searching someone to selebrate Valentine's day together :wink:
Nepafarius wrote: On the bright side, your judging should be rather simple.
Every cloud has a silver lining, huh? :wink:
greencube07

Post by greencube07 »

Nice to see to guys again,long time no see :)
As always, I'm back with another original design for the challenge.
Since I'm a teenager, it was quite hard for me to think of the things back in the past..retro..so I just asked my parents for something that relates to their retro and found a great idea.
So this time, I've made a shoe design that resembles the shoes that were popular when our parents were young :)
And of course, most of the talk was made between me and my dad so it's a bit like military shoes.. :wink: ..well, whatever.)

Flickr에서 green cube님의 Shoes
The best part of this model is that it can be used in our daily life.
Yup, that's right! I managed to design one that can actually be worn :D(perfect 3D)

Unfortunately this one doesn't fit my foot size, but trust me, it's really useful :)
OrigamiGeek
Forum Sensei

Post by OrigamiGeek »

That is a cool Idea, but after an hour of use (in doors) it will probably be shredded, so I would not want to actually where it. But it is cool that it could be where able!
Check out my gallery and don't forget to leave a comment!
marmalade

Post by marmalade »

Wow! The first month of this year is already past. Time goes by so quickly!

Dear Ginshun, your contribution to this topic is really great! I can't even imagine how patient has to be someone to be able to fold 244 pieces!!

And greencube07, you designed good looking very complex model with practical use. Congratulations!

But this space invader with it's simplicity and pixel view just took me directly to the past... I just realized that everything I remember or ever had is already RETRO. My first mobile, music players with tape, Walkman, hair styles, fashion... even bus tickets are gone to the past. And of course, our first video games with our childhood friends is the brightest and funniest memories. This miniature model just put me in the mood of nostalgia. Am I getting old? :oops:
So, the winner of this month is
KIRAKINN with the SPACE INVADER!

kirakinn will be judging next month and will chose topic for the March.
kirakinn

Post by kirakinn »

Thanks so much! This really means so much to me, you have no idea