ODT#6

Friendly design and folding competitions.
Baltorigamist

Re: ODT#6

Post by Baltorigamist »

greencube07 wrote:I'm planning on starting the ODT about.. 7/16? Will that be fine?
Sounds good to me. Good luck, everyone!
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
zils

Post by zils »

Sounds good :)
Bodo

Post by Bodo »

sounds great !
Swapnil Das
Buddha

Post by Swapnil Das »

sure!
We're all stories in the end.

My flickr Please visit and comment as much as you can!
yannbf

Post by yannbf »

Count me in! :)))
Tankoda

Post by Tankoda »

Sorry I am so late, but please count me in if it is possible. I would love to compete! Thanks!
nathanzimet

Post by nathanzimet »

hi

so at my count, (including greencube07 himself,) there are 21 people
mb-origami-design and tankoda probably will be counted in, but since they were a bit after greencube said a post thing i'm not so sure, so there is a space before their names. Without them there are 19 people.
this would mean that:
with 21 people, there will be 10 deuls, 9 of which will have 2 participants and one which will have 3. Afterwards, there will be 10 people left, the rest of which is pretty straightforward.

Just trying to help get this organized! ~ sorry if i'm interfering.

21. greencube07

1. baltorigamist
2. nathanzimet
3. merlyngami
4. chesscuber98
5. yagowe
6. myself
7. swapnil das
8. joeorigami
9. malifold
10. bodo
11. zils
12. tschobigami
13. origamiaddict95
14. foonkyfeend
15. mr penguin
16. quiet maverick
17. sebl
18. yannbf

19. bm-origami-design
20. tankoda

Here is a proposed pairing using a random assigning thing found here: http://www.randomresult.com/tournament.php which as far as i can tell is a real randomizer and not a faux one. Using this sebl was left out, so i used this: https://www.random.org/
generator to choose a number between 1 and 10 and put him in that group.
generator gave : 4, so sebl has been placed in group 4.

group 1: baltorigamist and bodo
group 2: quiet maverick and joeorigami
group 3: origamiaddict95 and yannbf
group 4: bm-origami-design and merlyngami and -sebl-
group 5: zils and tchobigami
group 6: chesscuber98 and yagowe
group 7: foonkyfeend and mr penguin
group 8: swapnil das and malifold
group 9: myself and greencube07
group 10: nathanzimet and tankoda

again, i'm just trying to help, but if greencube07 or someone else wants to do the pairing, than i'll probably delete this post to avoid confusion of which pairings are the correct ones.
greencube07

Post by greencube07 »

Sorry for the late reply, I wasn't able to access internet for some reasons, but as nathanzimet said,we have exactly 10 pairs so I was gonna upload the random matches today, but I guess that won't be needed :)
Thank you for helping me out nathanzimet, I really appreciate it.
So we'll be doing the matches as nathanzimet uploaded, check your name and let's start the duel!
Since not everyone saw the article, we'll have one week to check those out(~7/27) and should end the match and the poll before 8/31.
Good luck guys!
nathanzimet

Post by nathanzimet »

btw:

greencube there are not 10 pairs, one of them is a triplet.
if by that you meant that you're not in the actual duels yourself, group 4 and 9 will be changed accordingly

group 4: bm-origami-design and merlyngami

group 9: myself and -sebl-

but otherwise yes. let the games begin! may the odds be ever in your favour! :D

EDIT: just realized that greencube you probably thought that there were 20 people, but you are 21st and at the top of the list.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

To the newbies participating who have only one or two posts so far (Tankoda, foonkyfeend, Mr Penguin, yannbf), I'd recommend to get your post count up to three as soon as possible, so that there will be no delay when you post your results. It is summer time and us moderators might be busy with vacations, so it would be good if you are out of the moderation queue when participating at the tournament.
Maybe post something in the "What have you folded lately" topic.
Tankoda

Post by Tankoda »

Thanks for the heads up on the response delay thing.
I have a question here that will work for my third post. What does greencube07 mean when he says "Since not everyone saw the article, we'll have one week to check those out(~7/27) and should end the match and the poll before 8/31?" Is 8/31 the deadline for everyone's challenge, or what?
Thanks in advance.
tschobigami

Post by tschobigami »

Hey there,

as nathan, i am just giving a personal opinion. Concerning the organisation of the tournament:
nathanzimet wrote: with 21 people, there will be 10 deuls, 9 of which will have 2 participants and one which will have 3. Afterwards, there will be 10 people left, the rest of which is pretty straightforward.
I don't see it being pretty straightforward with 10 people left (it would require 2 duels and 2 matches with 3 participants, being slightly unfair).

My idea for a tournament with completely equal odds would be the following:
Start of with 21=7x3 participants.
Only the winner of each match proceeds do the next round.
Out of the other entries, a lucky loser is chosen (per poll in the main post) who is the eigth participant in the next round.
Then it is pretty straightforward, doing quarterfinals, semifinals and a final.

(if greencube doesnt want to compete, same mode is possible, starting with 6x3 and 1x2)

pros:
real contest in the first round (last year, half of the first duels were won by default (one of the contestants didnt submit a model))
same odds for everyone

cons:
2 more who will have to leave after the first round (but still there is the chance of starting the informal duels again)

sorry for the late post, i know that some of you already chose a topic.
i am open for a discussion

Stefan
nathanzimet

Post by nathanzimet »

hi again~
so as tankoda said, greencube might have been a bit confusing so i think this is what he meant for anyone else wondering

we have one week (until 7/27) to start these duels. We then have to be done designing, have put up the poll, and have the poll results in all before 8/31.

so in theory we have up to a month to design the model, but it would be better if it was closer to 3-4 weeks, leaving more time for polling.
Hopefully i made sense~

@tchobigami also, with 10 people left, yes, it is unfair. but still straightforward, if we use a randomizer.
If we have the same number of people next year, we should definitely do what you've suggested.
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

Why not give three people byes for the first round? That would leave 12 for the second round, which would lead to a 3-way final--which I think would make things interesting.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
yannbf

Post by yannbf »

origami_8 wrote:To the newbies participating who have only one or two posts so far (Tankoda, foonkyfeend, Mr Penguin, yannbf), I'd recommend to get your post count up to three as soon as possible, so that there will be no delay when you post your results. It is summer time and us moderators might be busy with vacations, so it would be good if you are out of the moderation queue when participating at the tournament.
Maybe post something in the "What have you folded lately" topic.
Thanks for the notice!