monthly design challenge/June 2017 - a ten year celebration

Friendly design and folding competitions.
mkosmul

Re: monthly design challenge/June 2017 - a ten year celebrat

Post by mkosmul »

Here is my entry for the December 2007 topic (emotion/feeling/mood) which also matches the topic for March 2011 (Action Origami). Rules: no cutting, no glue, multiple sheets allowed.

Broken Heart Box

A box with a heart. It is an action model since when things go bad, you can reshape the heart into a broken heart. The heart can also be tessellated, in which case I call it Fragile Heart Tessellation (fragile since it can easily be broken). The heart molecule uses a 12×10 grid while the complete box is 16×16. The bottom part of the box is from a separate sheet.
Tankoda

Post by Tankoda »

The month isn't over yet!!!

Here is my model: Acrocanthosaurus and Sauroposeidon - attack sequence:
ImageOrigami Acrocanthosaurus and Sauroposeidon Attack Sequence by Travis Nolan, on Flickr

Based off of the tracks in Glen Rose, Texas.
More info and more pictures on my Flickr.

For the challenge, I chose Dinosaurs from June 2010. It also works for Combination Folding from October 2007.

My Rules: One square sheet of paper, no cuts or glue or paint or wire supports or anything (MC okay).

I used Double Tissue with MC (roughly 17 by 17 inches). The Sauroposeidon and Acrocanthosaurus come from the same sheet of paper - Green on one side, red on the other. The color change comes from folding alone (no paint).

In some of the pictures, it is hard to tell, but the Acrocanthosaurus does have two arms.

My model portrays the famous prehistoric attack, recorded in stone, that was discovered in Glen Rose, TX on the Paluxy River. The trackway shows the footprints of an Acrocanthosaurus and Sauroposeidon, with evidence of an interaction.
-sebl-

Post by -sebl- »

here is my entry: a dragon
designed this month
fold in cloth and cement
Imagekragon by sebastien limet, sur Flickr
NeverCeaseToCrease
Forum Sensei

Post by NeverCeaseToCrease »

First, I would like to thank everybody for participating to get as many entries as we could. This was quite a great way to celebrate a 10 year aniversary and I hope we'll still be around for a 20 year anniversary....
Honestly, picking a winner for this month was a tough choice, as all former judges know. All the entries were folded completely from scratch and photographed beautifully, but after some careful decisions, here are the winners!

First place: Astral Voyage by Sunburst
I chose this model for many reasons. First, Sunburst included a quite detailed face with hair, ears, and a clear boundary from head and neck, which I feel is definitely one of the hardest parts of a design. Second, Sunburst created a dress in a box pleated model that appears to wrap around each body, as well as has straps to increase the realism. Sunburst created both figures to look almost identical but still different colors, which is an extremely difficult task. The last reason I chose this model above all the other excellent entries was because Sunburst chose an intangible concept and depicted it in paper. Honestly, this model blows my mind and I would love to see a crease pattern some time.

Second place: Acrocanthosaurus and Sauroposeidon attack sequence by Tankoda.
This model came in a very close place to the Astral voyage. Each dinosaur would be a great model alone, and folding them from the same paper makes it so much better. Tankoda used color changers so many times: the big dino's read head, the small dino and his green eye, as well as the small dino's tail which appears to stick out from the other side of the big dino's tail. The model is neat and both dinosaurs have thickness in their bodies and limbs, which combined with the color changers creates an extremely difficult but well done model. As with the astral voyage, I would love to see a crease pattern for this model some time.

Third place: Kragon by Sebl
I feel as if the kragon is an extremely unique model. It is not nearly as complex as the dinosaurs or the astral voyage, but it is special in it's own ways. It features teeth, nostrils, wings and a round belly, but still manages to keep a simple look and style. Combined with the leathery texture and the ground it stands on, this model seems to radiate a personality; a rare thing in origami models.

Again, congratulations and thanks to all participants for submiting an amazing model designed from scratch. Sunburst will judge next month's competition, and good luck!
(Am I supposed to choose next month's competition? If I don't reply by monday then somebody else can pick the topic, I'll be out of town)
Gerardo
Buddha

Post by Gerardo »

Great job judging NeverCeaseToCrease. I'm really happy with all the participation :).

Congratulations everyone, especially the three winners :D. Excellent works!

I personally like Toledano's Toco Toucan, mkosmul's Broken Heart Box, and I love juston's Batman bust. You did an amazing job giving it the essence of Frank Miller's version.

PS: Yes, NeverCeaseToCrease you have to start the new challenge. Why don't you start it right now? That way fellow members can have more time to work on their models and we can avoid the problem of deciding who will choose the subject of the callenge.

If you have no idea of what to propose, may I suggest "boxes"? It's amazing that it has never been a subject of the challenge during the last ten years!
Last edited by Gerardo on July 14th, 2017, 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My awesome website: https://www.neorigami.com
and Instagram account: https://instagram.com/NeorigamiCom
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

I won? Awesome! Thanks you very much for your compliments, NeverCeaseToCrease. As you say, it's a different matter to depict something more than just «two ladies from a single sheet of paper». For the crease pattern, one day perhaps? Essentially, you design one character and mirror it... I can also add that if you like the model from the picture, it looks MUCH better in person :wink:

As for the other submissions, I will admit liking very much Tankoda's attack sequence and Juston's shadowy Batman bust.
NeverCeaseToCrease
Forum Sensei

Gerardo wrote: PS: Yes, NeverCeaseToCrease you have to start the new challenge.
Ok, I chose "other art forms"
Am I allowed to enter it myself?
Gerardo
Buddha

Post by Gerardo »

Yes NeverCeaseToCrease. Please start the thread yourself.
JAPC

Post by JAPC »

Congratulations to all the participants and to the winner

My personal choice goes to Juston designs. I think that complexity by it self doesn't mean a better design. For me it needs to have some strong concept or idea behind.

In this case I agree to the choice of the winner, because he manage to conceive a model where the technique did not overlap the story he wanted to tell.
Gerardo
Buddha

Post by Gerardo »

We achieved 20 models in total :D!
juston

Post by juston »

Gerardo wrote:I personally like Toledano's Toco Toucan, mkosmul's Broken Heart Box, and I love juston's Batman bust. You did an amazing job giving it the essence of Frank Miller's version.
Sunburst wrote:As for the other submissions, I will admit liking very much Tankoda's attack sequence and Juston's shadowy Batman bust.
JAPC wrote:My personal choice goes to Juston designs. I think that complexity by it self doesn't mean a better design. For me it needs to have some strong concept or idea behind.
Thank you all!
The world's worst photographer now has a flickr account... enjoy!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_real_juston/
Andre-4

Post by Andre-4 »

MotherOfThree wrote:Image

This is my entry for the November 2013 challenge (reinterpreting a classic model) and for the July 2016 challenge (dragons). It's named "Dragons also think", and it's based upon the famous "Rodin's Thinker" by Neal Elias. Actually, I don't have any diagrams or CP for this model, so I tried to reconstruct it from a picture. Since it didn't work, I came up with this variation. I tried my best to get the pose as in the original model.
For the rules, it's folded from one single square sheet of paper, without any glue or cuts.
His diagrams were compiled in the days when people didn't draw out every complex step...
He draws 10 stages at most an expects you to work out the rest
I think that leaves room for you do fold without limits..but when you have less time it becomes annoying
I like the seated pose he has a few of those
Back before all the origami purists squeezed all the fun out of the art
NeverCeaseToCrease
Forum Sensei

Andre-4 wrote: Back before all the origami purists squeezed all the fun out of the art
That seems a little harsh. What do you mean by that? Most origamists like Satoshi Kamiya and Shuki Kato are purists and their models are still fun.
This seems like it could turn into a large discussion like the "decline in origami community" thread...