Fold Kamiya's geometric models without knowing wht they are

Friendly design and folding competitions.
tschobigami

Re: Fold Kamiya's geometric models without knowing wht they

Post by tschobigami »

yep, thats the same thing i got. before, i accidently had some extra lines so the tetrahedon lies flat.
to me it is a very weird model, as it doesn't look cleaned up, and there are many places where 2 raw edges meet and kind of leave an opening
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

It seems odd that Kamiya would publish a cp for such an incomplete model but apparently he did unless we are all missing something here.
FlareglooM

Post by FlareglooM »

My guess is that the tetrahedron will fit in the cube.

Giving you something like this internally:

Mainly because I can rotate it on the top diagonal.
My Flickr

FlareglooM
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

FlareglooM wrote:My guess is that the tetrahedron will fit in the cube
I'm more for your first option, a cube with a tetrahedron atop the diagonal of it's top side, so the length of the diagonal of the side of the cube is the same as the side of the tetrahedron.
tschobigami

Post by tschobigami »

I am convinced of the second option.

First, it is indeed an interesting model, mathematically and geometrically.

Second, when checking the cp again, I realized, that the tetrahedron indeed does consist of equilateral triangles, with their side-length being sqrt(2)*sidelength(cube), which means that the tetrahedron indeed does fit perfectly.

Third, it explains why I said that the design doesn't look clean to me. By having one geometric object inside the other, one has to fold and look inside, so a clean lock doesn't make sense.

To me this one is solved by Flaregloom, even if not folded yet.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

After quite some fiddling around, I managed to collapse the tetrahedron inside the cube. So it is possible. It would however only make sense if you fold the model from translucent paper, otherwise no one will know there is a tetrahedron inside the cube.

Green = Mountain
Pink = Valley
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

origami_8 wrote:After quite some fiddling around, I managed to collapse the tetrahedron inside the cube. So it is possible. It would however only make sense if you fold the model from translucent paper, otherwise no one will know there is a tetrahedron inside the cube.
Wow Anna I knew if someone could pull this one off it would be you. Thanks for the colored cp.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Some hints about the collapse: Starting of with the upper two horizontal lines in place, bring in the pink 22.5 degree lines in the upper middle two squares. Then you have to make the two points at the bottom of the big triangles concave. Good luck. On the right side this should make the diagonal of the upper middle square align with the line the goes up just right to the centre, so that they can be mountain folded together.
After closing the bottom of the cube and forming the tetrahedron inside it, you can lock the tetrahedron in place by closing the top of the cube.
In theory it sounds a lot easier than it actually is, especially if you try to fold it from transluscent foil that just doesn't want to behave the way you want. No photos, sorry.
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

The first cp folded from ordinary paper looks something like this:

Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

I want to thank everybody that participated in this challenge, the cooperation was amazing.

Now the question is, where's the CP for the displaced tetrahedrons at http://www.flickr.com/photos/magik9/9423328167/ ? Karol Kafarski says it's in Satoshi's webpage
NeverCeaseToCrease
Forum Sensei

Post by NeverCeaseToCrease »

I think that model is similar enough to these http://www.langorigami.com/composition/ ... 2-opus-702 that a few modifications to the crease patterns would result in what Kamiya had.
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

NeverCeaseToCrease wrote:I think that model is similar enough to these http://www.langorigami.com/composition/ ... 2-opus-702 that a few modifications to the crease patterns would result in what Kamiya had.
Thanks for pointing that out I just folded Lang's model and it's a very good one. However, the differences with Kamiya's (the color change and the flat sides) are large enough as to still want to find Kamiya's CP for the "displaced tetrahedrons" as I've called this model.

Last night I spent a long time scouting Satoshi's webpage searching for this CP without luck.
FlareglooM

Post by FlareglooM »

I think it's this one:

Based on the content of this post: http://snkhan.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php ... 92#p118046
My Flickr

FlareglooM
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

Thanks Flaregloom

There is a note that says
"cube cut by diagonal and moved a bit - there is 2nd cp similar to this", so it could be this one or the other one mentioned in that thread.
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

Although not part of the original 3 CP's, there is another CP for a geometric model somewhere else in his page and here it is "Displaced Tetrahedrons" or "Sliced Cube" or whatever it's called. I got the CP from someone who had folded the model. If anyone is interested, PM me your email address that can receive attachments and I'll send it to you. Since it is publicly available (although very difficult to find) I don't think there's a problem with that.