Monthly Design Challenge March 2018

Friendly design and folding competitions.
Baltorigamist

Re: Monthly Design Challenge March 2018

Post by Baltorigamist »

David, it's up to Goldtiger and Tony to decide what will and will not be accepted in this challenge. If you don't like the way things are being done, you don't have to participate.

My interpretation of Goldtiger's topic is that anything in danger of disappearing (animal or not) is acceptable--hence "endangered" (and not "endangered animals"). I'm fine with "least concern" animals not being allowed, and whether or not an object is seldom seen is, again, up to the judge of the challenge. It's possible to allow a broad interpretation (such as mine) while disqualifying animals/objects that aren't endangered.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

Baltorigamist wrote:David, it's up to Goldtiger and Tony to decide what will and will not be accepted in this challenge.
I agree except if you add to your sentence "at the beginning of the month." It sets a dangerous precedent if the challenge is re-interpreted or even transformed in the middle of the competition. If that is done in this one or any future competition someone could devote significant time to a model that would not even be considered. And that is just not right.

I want you to recall that Goldtiger said:
You can interpret the subject in any way you like.
You noticed that he did not say in exactly the fashion that he likes.
whether or not an object is seldom seen is, again, up to the judge of the challenge
Again, I agree, but that has to be decided on a case by case basis.
If you don't like the way things are being done, you don't have to participate.
That is rude and uncalled for. And it is not appropriate nor relevant. I am respecting the authority of the OP and the judge. I am asking them to reconsider their opinions. If you reflect on that, you will realize that means that I acknowledge their authority on this thread.
Tony Koppers

Post by Tony Koppers »

DavidW wrote:If you reflect on that, you will realize that means that I acknowledge their authority on this thread.
[/quote]

Ok, great. Thanks for voicing your concern; I've considered it, but I still will not be accepting animals listed as "least concern" for this topic, end of discussion.

On a different note, we're a little under halfway through March. Let's see how many entries we can get by the end of the month!
Last edited by Tony Koppers on March 15th, 2018, 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goldtiger-997

Post by Goldtiger-997 »

@DavidW Sorry, my wording has not been completely clear. I apologise for any confusion I caused. I do agree with some things you've said, but also disagree with some such as disallowing "Least Concern" as being overly pedantic

Here's come clarification:
For living things: design an orgainsm that is endangered on the IUCN evaluation system
For non-living objects: design an object that is rarely seen, and probably going to be seen less and less as time goes on.

I hope this clarifies the topic. This is intended to be the exact same topic as the original post. I think most people understood the original post, but hopefully now everyone understands it.
Maybe the problem was that I gave too much detail so that I seemed I was creating artificial rules. I will edit the clarification into the original post if that is fine.
DavidW wrote:
Baltorigamist wrote:David, it's up to Goldtiger and Tony to decide what will and will not be accepted in this challenge.
I agree except if you add to your sentence "at the beginning of the month." It sets a dangerous precedent if the challenge is re-interpreted or even transformed in the middle of the competition. If that is done in this one or any future competition someone could devote significant time to a model that would not even be considered. And that is just not right.
Sorry I should have made the rules clearer from the beginning. I always knew exactly what they were in my head. We could still accept models that did not meet the topic because the topic was confusing.
DavidW wrote:I want you to recall that Goldtiger said:
You can interpret the subject in any way you like.
You noticed that he did not say in exactly the fashion that he likes. .
The only thing suggested so far that I haven't thought to fit the topic is least concern. I believed that a not endangered animal was a legitimate interpretation of an endangered animal. But anything that is at all related I would accept straight away. The more entries the better! :)

Anyway, let's stop arguing and get back to origami! :D
Last edited by Goldtiger-997 on March 15th, 2018, 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

I think we should just see how the challenge pans out, personally. Now let's not clutter the topic with arguments over semantics. (;

(And I didn't mean to come across as rude. Sorry.)
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
Tankoda

Post by Tankoda »

I designed an American Burying Beetle. The American Burying Beetle is an endangered species of flesh-eating beetle. I folded it from 6 inch Japanese Foil, so the final model is slightly larger than life size.
https://www.fws.gov/midwest/endangered/ ... _fact.html
ImageOrigami American Burying Beetle by Travis Nolan, on Flickr
ImageOrigami American Burying Beetle - 2 by Travis Nolan, on Flickr

Enjoy!
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

ImageNeuron (test fold) by Baltorigamist, on Flickr

Brain cells are definitely endangered. (;
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
Tony Koppers

Post by Tony Koppers »

Less than twelve hours left, eveyone! If you have a design, get it in quick!
Tony Koppers

Post by Tony Koppers »

Oh, wow... I whish I didn't have to pick a winner; these are all really good.
I do have a winner chosen: baltorigamist with his nerve cells.
I make this choice because of the sheer creativity in choosing his topic, because I enjoyed the joke that accompanied it, and because it seems like a well made design.
That said, congratulations to everyone for some awesome designs.
Baltorigamist will judge April's challenge and set the topic in May.
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

Thanks so much! Everyone else had awesome designs.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr