overintelllectualizations

Friendly design and folding competitions.
firstfold
Forum Sensei

overintelllectualizations

Post by firstfold »

OVERINTELLECTUALIZATIONS
A flight into reason?
Having reached a septuagenarian status, I am fighting short term memory loss (amnestic disorder?) with every fiber of my imagination. Here is my latest attempt:
Over the years I have created a number of origami related puzzles, sometimes quite simple and other times deviously difficult. I found that this was my way of exercising my brain but I tended to rely on the visual spatial nature of origami and did not adequately exercise verbal or reading skills. This series of puzzles will attempt to correct that fault.

Puzzle Number one,

Draw 24 letters from the alphabet using some form of logic – you may repeat letters (2 R’s or 3 Z’s) but the total used (counting duplicates) must be 24. You will see my reasoning and more rules for choosing letters in the next few puzzles. You will also notice that no “origami” skills is required to make or use the puzzle but it is related to origami – just wait and see. This puzzle is like a number of word puzzles that have been around for years.
Try to use as many letters as possible to make up a few words. The longer the words the better. The more letters used, the better. Here is how you score your results:
Count the letters made and multiply the count by itself (example “PUZZLE” score 6 time 6 or 36 points). Once you score a word you can NOT reuse those letters. Add all the word scores for a total score. Example: “FUN” would score 9 points (3 times 3) and the total of “FUN” and “PUZZLE” would be 36+9 or 25. If you can achieve a score of 144 or more then you are a pretty good word puzzle solver.
Puzzle Number two,

Use a 4 by 6 Grid to make to choose letters for a puzzle. This time you will choose 4 six letter words.
Why six letters? You will see in a puzzle yet to come. Place one letter from each word in each column but choose the column and row at random (not the order in which the word is spelled). See if this makes the puzzle easier or more difficult to obtain a good score. Play the puzzle as you did above – try for big words and use all letters.
Here is an example:
S D Y P I C
Z C Z T X A
O U E R G L
U Z H N O A
Can you find four words that have 6 letters here (you must use all letters)?
What is the biggest word you can make from these 24 letters?

Puzzle Number three: (finally a little Origami – very easy to fold)

Cut out a rectangle around each column of letters and fold the rectangle into a ring
The puzzle here is to make your own puzzle with four words. To make it more difficult – here is the last rule for creating these puzzles.
1) A letter of the alphabet may be repeated in a word
2) However, Once a letter is used in a word, it can not be used in another word.
This makes finding four word difficult. Want something even more challenging – find four words that follow these rules but are related to a particular theme. In my example, my words are very loosely related to a river cruise that me and my wife will go on as an extended celebration of 50 years of marriage. The cruise ship company is “SCENIC”. My last word is a real stretch being more often found in an American Baseball Game than on a Rhine River Cruise.
Here is a link to pictures of this puzzle before and after folding.

Puzzle Number four (difficult to fold and even worse to design or solve),

The reason that I chose 6 letter words is that there are six sides to a cube. Take a look at this spotted Soma Puzzle and imagine using letters instead of colored dots. The only way you know if you chose the correct dots is to assemble the puzzle and hope the letters on the cube will make a six letter word.
There are 5 solutions to the lettered swinging soma cube.
Solution #1 – Assemble the small cubes to make a larger cube with no letters showing.
Solutions 2 through 5 – reassemble the cube 4 times to show a single letter on each face – hopefully the letters on each all six faces of the larger cube can spell a word.
Charles "Doc" Santee
Flicker: https://www.flickr.com/photos/firstfold/
See action origami on Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/user/firstfold
steingar

Re: overintelllectualizations

Post by steingar »

Were puzzles a way past senior moments I'd not have any. Ma nature can be a right mean and nasty.