EMERGENCY RADIO BROADCAST (Dec '18 Monthly Design Challenge)

Friendly design and folding competitions.
Tankoda

EMERGENCY RADIO BROADCAST (Dec '18 Monthly Design Challenge)

Post by Tankoda »

We interrupt your regularly scheduled programming for the following special announcement. Your undivided and immediate attention please. EMERGENCY RADIO BROADCAST.
A team of scientists working in an undisclosed location has discovered THAT THE WORLD WILL BE ANNIHILATED SHORTLY. Emergency measures are being taken, but there is not enough time to evacuate the planet. MOST OF US WILL DIE.
…Unless we are able to prevent this calamity. IF YOU ARE SKILLED IN THE ART OF PAPERFOLDING, THE GOVERNMENT SOLICITS YOUR HELP. CALLING ALL FOLDERS. Send all folders you know. EVERYONE WILL BE NEEDED.
These scientists have traced the source of this problem to DEEP TIME. Details are currently confidential, but only one person will be able to be sent to save the world. This person will be chosen based on a series of tests and challenges that will set him or her apart as our planet’s potential savior. Whoever is chosen will be sent at an undisclosed time to an undisclosed time to solve an undisclosed problem AND SAVE THE PLANET.
The first challenge begins NOW. Those folders brave enough to compete will be transported more than 200 years into geologic time, back to the PERMIAN PERIOD, before even the dinosaurs existed. Folders must show their ability and worthiness by COMPETING IN A SAVAGE BATTLE OF THE MIND AND BODY.
Many will compete. Many will DIE, SAVAGELY CRUSHED BY THEIR OPPONENTS or EATEN BY A HUNGRY DIMETRODON. Few will survive. Only one will WIN.
In order to survive, you must blend into the Permian environment. Hide your human vulnerability by creating a PERMIAN CREATURE.
Due to time-travel related limitations, you will have only a single square sheet of paper. No scissors or glue will be transported with you (water will be available in the environment). Hide your human weakness by creating this Permian creature, OR YOU WILL BE EATEN.
Legally, we are required to mention that only the winner will be able to return to the 21st century. DO NOT LET THIS DISCOURAGE YOU FROM COMPETING. YOU ARE ABOUT TO DIE ANYWAY.
IF YOU ARE CAPABLE OF COMPETING, YOU MUST. THE FATE OF THE HUMAN RACE IS IN YOUR HANDS. Permian creatures to consider for folding include (but are NOT limited to): Dimetrodon, Edaphosaurus, Seymouria, Diplocaulus, Cacops, Trimerorhachis, Varanosaurus, Ophiacodon, Eryops, Platyhystrix, Sphenacodon, Secodontosaurus, Diadectes, Captorhinus, Cotylorhynchus, and MANY OTHERS. The government official and origami guru Colonel Folderp will chose the folder most worthy.
YOU HAVE ONE MONTH.
YOUR PLANET DEPENDS ON YOU. DO NOT FAIL US.
End of emergency broadcast. We now return to your regularly scheduled programming.
Gerardo
Buddha

Re: EMERGENCY RADIO BROADCAST (Dec '18 Monthly Design Challe

Post by Gerardo »

Godspeed brave origamists [-o<!
My awesome website: https://www.neorigami.com
and Instagram account: https://instagram.com/NeorigamiCom
Goldtiger-997

Post by Goldtiger-997 »

I've created a Dimetrodon to protect myself from the harsh environment of the Permian period:

Dimetrodon - my design by Goldtiger997, on Flickr

Dimetrodon - my design by Goldtiger997, on Flickr

----------------------------------------
@Tankoda I really like the topic!
Folderp

Post by Folderp »

Goldtiger, that's a great model, and everyone else, if Goldtiger can make a model that good that quickly, you all have no excuse to not enter okay?
My flickr
I finally got me some mc!
juston

Post by juston »

I've folded a Dimetrodon grandis, the apex predator of the early Permian, to defend against all would-be attackers.

Sorry that the only two entries so far are for the same animal but I've tried to do it in a novel way. I've based my model on a recent skeletal reconstruction of the beast by Scott Hartman.

http://www.skeletaldrawing.com/home/21s ... dimetrodon
Last edited by juston on December 26th, 2018, 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The world's worst photographer now has a flickr account... enjoy!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_real_juston/
NeverCeaseToCrease
Forum Sensei

Post by NeverCeaseToCrease »

I'll just hop on the bandwagon now that school's out. Here comes another dimetrodon for protection! This model is still different from the others: it from a 32x32 box pleat. I mean, what else is there to fold.
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

https://www.flickr.com/photos/baltofold ... ed-public/
(Can’t embed from my phone)

It's not what I originally intended to design, but time was a factor.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
Folderp

Post by Folderp »

Those are some really nice designs! Three days to go!
My flickr
Folderp

Post by Folderp »

First off, all the designs were really good, and well executed, so well done everyone. =D> I'm very indecisive, so if my judging sounds a little odd, it probably came from that in some way.

Baltorigamist, I really liked your design, but I felt it could be a little more Diplocalus-like. From what I can tell, it had pointier horns and a narrower tail, but this could be easily solved through shaping.

Juston, I love the minimalist approach you took. You created a really elegant and beautiful model, (which you always manage to do somehow).

NeverCeaseToCrease, you made another really great model, although I feel like it could have been more nicely shaped, even with the paper you were using. Also, it looks like I'm not the only one who rips their paper to a square :D .

Goldtiger, your design was great too, and the shaping of the head was amazing! I thought the legs could have been done better, folded up next to the body. They just look a little odd. Also, you get an honourable mention for entering so early. =D>

It was extremely difficult to a choose a winner, you all did incredibly well, but I'm going to say that the winner is Baltorigamist. This is because I feel that, despite the slightly off shaping, it was a very well-designed model, and I had to choose a winner somehow, so I decided to focus on that aspect.
My flickr
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

Thanks so much! I agree on the shaping aspect, to be honest, but there’s always room for improvement.
Congrats to everyone else.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
Goldtiger-997

Post by Goldtiger-997 »

Not sure where to post this, but my DImetrodon gathered some interest so I'd like to share the crease pattern:
ImageDimetrodon CP by Goldtiger997, on Flickr

It would be interesting to compare this with the CPs of the other two Dimetrodons that were entered in December, as I suspect that they would be very different!
MirabelRowena

Re: EMERGENCY RADIO BROADCAST (Dec '18 Monthly Design Challenge)

Post by MirabelRowena »

Thanks for sharing.