Monthly Design Challenge January 2019

Friendly design and folding competitions.
Folderp

Monthly Design Challenge January 2019

Post by Folderp »

Happy New Year everyone. If you don't have a New Year's resolution yet, make it to enter more monthly design challenges. This one is easy so I expect lots of people to enter. The topic for this month is... Flight. That could be anything from planes to birds to flying insects. And yes, the topic does allow Dragons. I did that on purpose. Baltorigamist will judge. Good Luck!
Last edited by Folderp on January 31st, 2019, 7:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
My flickr
I finally got me some mc!
NeverCeaseToCrease
Forum Sensei

Re: Monthly Design Challenge January 2019

Post by NeverCeaseToCrease »

Here is my rather unconventional entry, called "Fight or Flight."
Origami shouldn't have cuts, but this dude is ripped!
These two figures are folded from the same 47cm square of sketch paper. I used 52x52 grid, which ended up causing some complex problems. The figure at the bottom represents "fight," which is a buff man with fists in a fighting stance. The figure above him represents "Flight" (the whole point of the model in this challenge), so he has wings as if he is flying away from danger instead of fighting. More details and perhaps a crease pattern coming soon.
Last edited by NeverCeaseToCrease on February 9th, 2019, 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gerardo
Buddha

Post by Gerardo »

Love the fact that there's a concept behind this model :D!
My awesome website: https://www.neorigami.com
and Instagram account: https://instagram.com/NeorigamiCom
Folderp

Post by Folderp »

That's an incredible model, and another early entry. Congratulations!
My flickr
Origamitrieste

Post by Origamitrieste »

Origami Immortal Dream
In this photo I tried to represent the dream common to everyone since birth: flying. To focus on the dream, I decided not to create a really existing bird but rather a mixture of bird parts (and not only).
hope you like it!
Gerardo
Buddha

Post by Gerardo »

A concept behind a model as well :).
My awesome website: https://www.neorigami.com
and Instagram account: https://instagram.com/NeorigamiCom
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

Two weeks left by my calculations. Let's get a few more entries!
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
steingar

Post by steingar »

I could put in some of my new paper airplanes, but I don't think you guys would like them that much.
firstfold
Forum Sensei

Post by firstfold »

What I am entering for this challenge is just the "Cricut Cricket" from this game. EAch player has four of them and there is a larger folded version on the left side of the video. The Cricket is folded from one square.
I just got a Cricut Maker for Christmas but I made the original version without the aid of the Maker, I then went on to see if I could recreate the diagram for the Cricut Maker - It made reproducing the 16 Crickets in reduced size much easier. The game and everything folded in the video is my original design. Oh I did print the number on the cube (dice) before folding it - I created an easy to fold "Snap Cube with pleats and side locks" to make the dice. I think if you gambled with my Dice, you would have to quickly fold (Bad Pun). The black and white strips are just one rectangle of White on one side black paper using a color change for each segment.

Charles "Doc" Santee
Flicker: https://www.flickr.com/photos/firstfold/
See action origami on Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/user/firstfold
Folderp

Post by Folderp »

Everbody make sure you get your entries in! One day to go! If you can't design, just freefold for half an hour and see if you can make something with wings. I want as many entries as possible.
My flickr
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

I like how there was a wide array of interpretations this (past) month--or as wide as can be expected with only three entries.

Crease, I like your original interpretation of the topic, and I'd be very interested in seeing a crease pattern for your model. That said, I think you could benefit greatly from using better paper. I know it can be hard to get depending on one's location, but it's well worth it.

Trieste, I like your entry as well--a little conventional, but there's still a concept behind it. However, I think designing an existing bird would be better than making a conglomeration of bird parts.

Steingar, anything helps. Personally, I'd love to see some original paper planes, especially if they actually fly (which I'd hazard a guess that yours do).

Firstfold, Your game design is really awesome, and honestly I think it's amazing how you come up with all these really cool concepts and figure out how to fold them. It's a little hard to see your "cricut cricket" in the video, though, and I think the entire game would have been a better entry than the cricket itself.

All things considered, I'm going with Crease as the winner--with Firstfold getting an honorable mention for his game design. Congrats to everyone who entered.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
Folderp

Post by Folderp »

Those were some nice entries, but the number of them (only three) was a little disappointing. Everybody make sure you enter this month.
My flickr
NeverCeaseToCrease
Forum Sensei

Post by NeverCeaseToCrease »

Balto, here is the crease pattern, squared off in the bottom left of the paper. Sorry, I didn't really get a chance to draw it out on Oripa. Hopefully you can see the general structure of the model. This paper and a draft or two represent my entire design process of this model, starting with the sketch in the top left.

Which, by the way, brings me to another thing i'd like to ask. This model took only about 2-3 hours to design, so clearly, I have developed a quite reliable method for designing complex human figures like this. I will probably write an article or something to explain and demonstrate this method, but would anybody be interested in reading it? It may be a bit long...
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

That’s definitely an interesting crease pattern/structure. I’ve been meaning to get into designing human figures, so I’d read your article. :)
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr