Monthly Design Challenge March 2019

Friendly design and folding competitions.
Tahaorigami

Re: Monthly Design Challenge March 2019

Post by Tahaorigami »

Congrats to everyone who took part in this competition. I have been a little disappointed as there were very few entries this month compared to last month and I really hope to see more entries this month.

Bodorigami, your Kangaroo was great. The legs are much more "buff" and realistic and the details on the face are so prominent. (especially the nose).

First fold, you're butterfly and flower was good but I believe that Crease had stated "one uncut square" in the rules.

Nepafarius your bacteriophage was amazing. However, as the topic for this month was "improvement", I couldn't see much was it. The model was great before and after. It's only the base plates that look sharper and much more prominent.

Jeko, although your design is way too simple, the improvement you have made is definitely significant. The transition from the sandcastle to the sand makes it look so real and the choice of paper is very smart. I just love the texture on the sand and how we can see "waves" in the ocean by the random creases/pleats.

Folderp i like the improvement in your turtle. Making the proportions more realistic and life like.

Grace I really like the effort you have put in the models, but since the rules state "one uncut square", it would be unfair to judge a model made from 2 peices.

The decision has been difficult. However, the winner of this month is Jeko! The sandcastle is something that's simple, yet unique. The impovement made was the most significant too. Congratulations Jeko and good luck judging next month's contest! :)
jeko

Post by jeko »

Wow, thank you! Though I have to disagree on the "way too simple" :D
This was a really fun topic and I thought the other entries were fantastic as well.
I'm looking forward to judging the April 2019 competition, and fingers crossed we'll have (even) more entries
Grace159

Post by Grace159 »

Congrats Jeko :)

Sent from my SM-J120ZN using Tapatalk
Gerardo
Buddha

Post by Gerardo »

Grace159 wrote:The pink flower box is a model I created around a week ago. It has the same basic folds as Gerardo's 'Box in a Flower' which was created in 2010 so it is a variation.
I'm flattered :D!

Tahaorigami wrote:The transition from the sandcastle to the sand makes it look so real and the choice of paper is very smart. I just love the texture on the sand and how we can see "waves" in the ocean by the random creases/pleats.
I so agree with you on this. I so looooved the model!

jeko wrote:Though I have to disagree on the "way too simple" :D
I agree, really didn't like the choice of words :P. But I know Tahaorigami meant well.
My awesome website: https://www.neorigami.com
and Instagram account: https://instagram.com/NeorigamiCom
Tahaorigami

Post by Tahaorigami »

jeko wrote:Though I have to disagree on the "way too simple" :D
The word I was looking for was "clean".

He managed to hide the excess paper giving the sandcastle a smooth regular look and making the texture of the paper stand out!

So great job Jeko. I'll try to use better wording next time 8)
Folderp

Post by Folderp »

Thanks, and congratulations to everyone who entered better models than me (i.e. everyone). I do like Jeko's new sandcastle quite a bit.
My flickr
I finally got me some mc!
Nepafarius

Post by Nepafarius »

However, as the topic for this month was "improvement", I couldn't see much was it
Fair enough. I did use this topic as an opportunity to fix the gripes I had with the old design, so that's a win in my book.

Congrats jeko, I really like your model, very unique idea and execution!

And don't sell yourself short Folderp, your model is just as good as everyone else who submitted. The improvement is remarkable, and the result is really cool.
Gerardo
Buddha

Post by Gerardo »

I agree with Nepafarius Folderp. Your new version is WAY better :D!
My awesome website: https://www.neorigami.com
and Instagram account: https://instagram.com/NeorigamiCom
jeko

Post by jeko »

Tahaorigami wrote: So great job Jeko. I'll try to use better wording next time 8)
Thanks for the clarification!