Monthly Design Challenge March 2019

Friendly design and folding competitions.
NeverCeaseToCrease
Forum Sensei

Monthly Design Challenge March 2019

Post by NeverCeaseToCrease »

Hello folders,

This month we have a unique challenge. The theme will be improvement.

The primary interpretation of this theme will be this: You will find a model that you have folded in the past, and then as the theme suggests, you will improve it and submit your improved version.

Rules: the original model should be folded about 3 months ago or older (older is better). If you can find a photo of the model when you folded it, please upload that photo along with your entry, which will be the improved model. If you only have the physical form of the original model, you can photograph it now, but don't edit it.
Your improved model can be a major shaping improvement (does not mean "better paper!") or a structural improvement. If you have a major structural improvement that we might not recognize as the same model, you can upload a crease pattern to prove the similarities.
Your improved model should be one uncut square (MC as the only acceptable adhesive), but it's ok if your original model wasn't.

Tahaorigami will judge. Most improved models will be regarded higher.

We had 9 contestants last month, which was the most we've had in a while. Can we match or beat last month? Lets get 10 people this time! All submissions, even the last minute ones, are appreciated.

Here is an example of what an entry might look like.

Before:Image This was folded sometime around 2014. A scrawny, ugly, sewer rat.
After:Image This was folded in 2017. This rat really fattened up!
Last edited by NeverCeaseToCrease on March 2nd, 2019, 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baltorigamist

Re: Monthly Design Challenge March 2019

Post by Baltorigamist »

Definitely an interesting topic, though I would personally rule out shaping-based improvements. Changing the shaping isn't exactly a new design.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
NeverCeaseToCrease
Forum Sensei

I guess so to a point, but sometimes a model can be drastically improved without changing the base (structural improvement). For example, bending an elbow or something would not be considered a major shaping change, but pleating that elbow to create texture would be significant without changing the base (although I'd hope that was not the only change). In the end, it will be up to Taha to judge what counts as having improved and what does not.
Grace159

Post by Grace159 »

Does a significant colour change count? For example the original origami brocade by Minako Ishibashi is one solid colour, however roughly two years ago I worked out how to make it two coloured. Which looks quite dramatic with red and black paper.

Sent from my SM-J120ZN using Tapatalk
Gerardo
Buddha

Post by Gerardo »

Hi NeverCeaseToCrease! So, does this month's theme mean variations of models form other designers are allowed and even expected?

Cheers!
My awesome website: https://www.neorigami.com
and Instagram account: https://instagram.com/NeorigamiCom
NeverCeaseToCrease
Forum Sensei

Well, I wasn't intending for it to be about other people's models. That would open up the can of worms regarding copyright and whether this or that modification constitutes a new design, etc. For this reason it would be probably better to do a remake of one's own model.

If you have no previous models of your own, I suppose a modification of a traditional model can't hurt.
And again, it will be up to Taha to judge who really improved.
Bodo

Post by Bodo »

Here is my entry !

Kangaroo I designed two years ago:
ImageKangaroo by bodorigami, auf Flickr

Kangaroo I designed recently
ImageKangaroo by bodorigami, auf Flickr

Its completely different structurally and it is easier to fold. Based on a birdbase.
32x32 cm kraft paper
firstfold
Forum Sensei

Post by firstfold »

Here is an update of a Series of Folds I did in 2007:

These were all folded with just one rectangle for the combined flower and the Butterfly - White (or Brown) on one side and colored on the other.

Each Butterfly and Each Flower uses a different folding technique. I just designed and completed the top fold today (3/7/19). The folds between petals bends the Flower petal into a curve without additional creases.

In 2007 I also made a flower and Butterfly fold based on a LaFosse butterfly and my Flower (shown with Michael's permission on Flickr. One version has Two LaFosse butterflies (modified for the larger fold) on the Santee flower.

I chose to make the simplest possible butterfly of my own design for this latest incarnation.
Charles "Doc" Santee
Flicker: https://www.flickr.com/photos/firstfold/
See action origami on Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/user/firstfold
Nepafarius

Post by Nepafarius »

It's been a long time since I entered a competition, and I've been putting off updating this model for too long.

I made this Bacteriophage a while back
I never liked how it turned out, the body tapered, the legs were a mess, and the base plate was clunky and dull

This is the redesigned Bacteriophage
The head remained the same (though it looks different in the picture because of the angle), but the body have been uniformed and straightened like I originally intended. The legs are still a nightmare to make, but look less messy. The spikes at the bottom representing the base plate now look more menacing in my opinion, like a piece of drilling machinery
firstfold
Forum Sensei

Post by firstfold »

Here is a video with a partial crease pattern showing the development from separate folds to a combined folds
Charles "Doc" Santee
Flicker: https://www.flickr.com/photos/firstfold/
See action origami on Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/user/firstfold
jeko

Post by jeko »

My original sandcastle from June 2014
CP: http://origami.jenskober.de/diagrams/sandcastle_v0.pdf

and the new version (could be tesselated)
CP: http://origami.jenskober.de/diagrams/sandcastle2_v0.pdf

The shape is the same, the structure very different
Grace159

Post by Grace159 »

This is lovely Jeko, both the growth in the model as well as how you've represented the ocean.

Folderp

Post by Folderp »

For this challenge, I decided to update my turtle from ages ago.
ImageTurtle by Folderp, on Flickr

The result is this *somewhat* better turtle.
ImageTurtle 2.0 by Folderp, on Flickr
The main change is to the front flippers, which are now a decent size. The head is also significantly improved with better rounding (not from shaping). The method of creating the tail was also improved. Most other differences are from shaping, which is far better than in the original.
I still count it as the same design, because the stucture, layout and base are very similar, but the model is still about ten times better.
My flickr
I finally got me some mc!
Tahaorigami

Post by Tahaorigami »

Last day left guys. Last minute entries are welcome!
Grace159

Post by Grace159 »

The pink flower box is a model I created around a week ago. It has the same basic folds as Gerardo's 'Box in a Flower' which was created in 2010 so it is a variation.

The interesting thing I found was that it can be made using either two blintz bases (a fortune teller) or three.

The leafy flower pot on the left is made from a three blintz folded square flower box and can neatly hold a flower box made from the same size paper. ImageImage