Monthly Design Challenge July 2019

Friendly design and folding competitions.
Nepafarius

Monthly Design Challenge July 2019

Post by Nepafarius »

This month's topic is "Breaking the rules."

A single uncut square. That is the modern standard for origami (although their are certain exceptions). It is considered more impressive and demonstrating more ingenuity to make a individual model without resorting to using multiple sheets of paper, cutting to make a new flap, or using a hexagon for something with six legs.

But sometimes it diminishes the potential for amazing pieces. Some figures lose visual appeal from the convolution of pleats, spreads, and squashes needed to make a square work, sometimes a cut or tear can make an artistic statement, and sometimes a bizarre paper shape works best and wastes the least paper.

I don't want to go too crazy and restrict too much, so the major rules are

1. No tessellations or modular origami. As those are the most accepted ways to use multiple sheets and hexagons, I feel they aren't in the spirit of the challenge.

2. You only have to do ONE of the "rule breaks." You can choose to do all three if you want, and it will be more impressive if you do, but that would make the challenge less open to interpretation.

3. Cuts can be either functional of aesthetic. Either way though, the cut must have a purpose, especially the aesthetic side. No making a regular model and cutting it in half just because. Give it some greater meaning.

Sunburst will be judging this month. Good luck and go wild!
Baltorigamist

Re: Monthly Design Challenge July 2019

Post by Baltorigamist »

So do we have to break a “rule,” or are purist interpretations of the topic allowed?
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
Nepafarius

Post by Nepafarius »

Baltorigamist wrote:So do we have to break a “rule,” or are purist interpretations of the topic allowed?
You have to do one of the following:
1. Use multiple sheets for one object (not modular)
2. Use a cut (for functional or aesthetic purpose), or
3. Use a non square sheet (not tessellations)

Sorry if that wasn't clear from the original post
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

I'm guessing that when the rule says "no tessellations", "recursive models" are not allowed either.
Kabuntan

Post by Kabuntan »

Nepafarius wrote:Some figures lose visual appeal from the convolution of pleats, spreads, and squashes needed to make a square work
An easy-to-understand example would be Kamiya's Ryujin. From a square, it is a pain in the fingers, but if it were done from a long rectangle, the design would have been straight and simple(r).
Nepafarius

Post by Nepafarius »

Brimstone wrote:I'm guessing that when the rule says "no tessellations", "recursive models" are not allowed either.
Yes, that's what I meant by that. Sorry if there was some confusion.
Kabuntan wrote: An easy-to-understand example would be Kamiya's Ryujin. From a square, it is a pain in the fingers, but if it were done from a long rectangle, the design would have been straight and simple(r).
Exactly. Furthermore, I've seen origami faces that look like they're carved out of marble and paper arms that look like flesh. But I have seen many more full body models that are a pleated mess.
lienquocdat

Post by lienquocdat »

Here is my design, I use 1 banknote to make it, is it OK?
Model: Chubby mouse
Design & diagram: Lien Quoc Dat
Tutorial: youtube.com/c/LQDchannel
Gerardo
Buddha

Post by Gerardo »

lienquocdat wrote:Here is my design, I use 1 banknote to make it, is it OK?
Welcome to the forum lienquocdat! I'd say it is OK, you disobeyed one of the rules implied in "a single uncut square" and it isn't a tessellation nor a modular model :).

Now, to make it more interesting, you could also make various cuts to the bank note :twisted:... just kidding ;)!
Last edited by Gerardo on July 10th, 2019, 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My awesome website: https://www.neorigami.com
and Instagram account: https://instagram.com/NeorigamiCom
Nepafarius

Post by Nepafarius »

It definitely counts!
Gerardo
Buddha

Post by Gerardo »

lienquocdat wrote:Here is my design, I use 1 banknote to make it, is it OK?
Model: Chubby mouse
I found the model in Facebook. You created it last month; it must be a model created in the very month of the challenge ;).

I see you're very talented creating with bank notes. Just create a new model and share it here in the challenge :D.
firstfold
Forum Sensei

Post by firstfold »

Consider the following:

Any single straight line fold in an uncut square of paper can only rotate to an angle of >180 degrees because the rotated flap will be stopped by the unrotated flap before achieving 180 degrees. However. cut a hole in the paper and perhaps it is possible to rotate further. Admittedly, this creates additional fold lines. This model demonstrates one possibility.

I will be adding a few more "Single Cut models" where you first fold the model and cut a single straight-line cut through multiple layers. Finally, additional new folding techniques are possible after the cut is made.
Charles "Doc" Santee
Flicker: https://www.flickr.com/photos/firstfold/
See action origami on Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/user/firstfold
lienquocdat

Post by lienquocdat »

Gerardo wrote:I found the model in Facebook. You created it last month; it must be a model created in the very month of the challenge ;).

I see you're very talented creating with bank notes. Just create a new model and share it here in the challenge :D.
This Smilodon I designed in July, but I made it by 3 banknotes, I hope it is OK
Model: Smilodon
Gerardo wrote: Welcome to the forum lienquocdat! I'd say it is OK, you disobeyed one of the rules implied in "a single uncut square" and it isn't a tessellation nor a modular model :).

Now, to make it more interesting, you could also make various cuts to the banknote :twisted:... just kidding ;)!
Hahaha, I won't cut the bank note, it is illegal.
Plz don't tell the police about what you see here.
Nepafarius wrote:It definitely counts!
Thank you ^^
firstfold wrote:Consider the following:

Any single straight line fold in an uncut square of paper can only rotate to an angle of >180 degrees because the rotated flap will be stopped by the unrotated flap before achieving 180 degrees. However. cut a hole in the paper and perhaps it is possible to rotate further. Admittedly, this creates additional fold lines. This model demonstrates one possibility.

I will be adding a few more "Single Cut models" where you first fold the model and cut a single straight-line cut through multiple layers. Finally, additional new folding techniques are possible after the cut is made.
Wow, great! =D>
Neelesh k

Post by Neelesh k »

I wish to submit this model for the Monthly Challenge:

ORIGAMI- "An Origamist's Worst Nightmare"

When you've pre-creased that good quality paper, and are ready to collapse...just then...IT RIPS APART!!...ruining hours of hard work and patience...and so you begin to question why the hell do you have such a demanding hobby...

This model is for all those sheets - those incomplete models which failed to become our cathartic releases, or really good renditions of our fav. models, due to such painful...acts of God?! XD

Designed and folded by me from a single square sheet of tracing paper ( 25 cm x 25 cm)

40x40 grids BP

The rule I broke was the small tear in the model.
Huge thanks to josephf319 for letting me know about this challenge - I would've probably missed the deadline otherwise #-o
Hope it counts!
Gerardo
Buddha

Post by Gerardo »

lienquocdat wrote:(...)Plz don't tell the police about what you see here.
HAHAHA. I won't ;).
firstfold
Forum Sensei

Post by firstfold »

One Cut Stars - Fold in half three times, make one straight line cut (this cuts an "X" in the center of the paper), unfold then twist four inner points around to the front and you get a star using the colors from the front and back.
Charles "Doc" Santee
Flicker: https://www.flickr.com/photos/firstfold/
See action origami on Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/user/firstfold