ODT #8

Friendly design and folding competitions.
Grace159

Re: ODT #8

Post by Grace159 »

Last time the higher seed in the pairing created a post and proposed three topics the second person then got to choose from those three.

The way I see the pairings would be:
1.Folderp vs 2. Grace
4. Neverceasetocrease Vs 5. Baltorigamist
6. Undertrox Vs 7. Logan

With 3. Tankoda passing automatically to the second round.

Folderp let me know if this is the set up you would prefer.

Grace.
Folderp

Post by Folderp »

I interpreted it as
1 Grace vs 2 Undertrox
3 Logan vs 4 NeverCeaseToCrease
5 Folderp vs 6 Baltorigamist
The numbers you looked at were the joining order, not the randomised order. Tankoda gets a bye, while me, you and Logan propose topics for our respective duels. I think this setup is pretty good. Anyone have any problems?
My flickr
I finally got me some mc!
Grace159

Post by Grace159 »

This sounds fine :)
Tankoda

Post by Tankoda »

No problems really.
Although... I've always thought there must be a better way out there somewhere for picking topics, but I don't know what it is. The current one is open to abuse though - I remember a round of the ODT a few years back where the top seed had proposed three themes that all applied to the model he entered - meaning, in my mind, that he had probably designed it ahead of time. This is not really in the spirit of the tournament
I think most people in this ODT have a history of not being underhanded and are pretty trustworthy - but its always good to have some measures in place to help discourage "cheating."
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

I'm not trying to discount your concerns, but it's possible that the person in question had an idea for the model before he started designing it. (I know I throw around ideas in my head before I start working on a design.)
I agree with you that there are ways to "cheat"--but it's not something I think we'll have to worry about for the majority of this tournament.

We could have someone outside the tournament pick topics, but I don't know how easy it would be to find someone who's willing to do so. I thought of using a topic generator, but the one I found online was too specific.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
NeverCeaseToCrease
Forum Sensei

Post by NeverCeaseToCrease »

What if we had the competitors who aren't dueling that round come up with the topics
Tankoda

Post by Tankoda »

Yeah but then there is a good chance that neither competitor would be interested in the topic. Still, that might be more fair...?
But Balto - yeah I see your point. I think it will be more of a concern in tournaments with more participation. I do think the idea of a challenge for a very specific topic is interesting - I think there was one years back for a spectacled bear... Its interesting to see different approaches to the exact same topic and in some respects makes the designs easier to compare.
Maaaybe non-dueling people could propose a few themes and competitors could vote? Ack, im not sure
The old system is probably fine until we come up with something definitely better
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

Crease, I like that idea except that it might take too long to decide. I agree that it would be more fair, though.
We have four people (excluding Tankoda's bye) who aren't in each duel, so maybe the upper seed in each duel could propose two or three possible topics for one of the other two. Then the lower seed can choose from those.
For example, Grace could propose topics for Logan and Crease's duel, and Undertrox would choose one. Logan, in turn, would propose topics for Folderp and my duel, and Crease would finalize it. Finally, Folderp would propose topics for Grace and Undertrox's duel, and I'd choose the final one.
The winners could choose topics for later rounds in the same fashion.

What do you guys think?
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
Folderp

Post by Folderp »

I like the sound of that system. It seems fair to me, and not too impractical.
My flickr
Grace159

Post by Grace159 »

Okay I am game to give this a go. The three topics for Undertrox to choose from are:
Amphibians
Letter folds
Easter themed (Eggs, chickens, resurrection etc)
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

I just messaged Undertrox since they don’t seem to have visited since their original post. If they don’t reply within a few days, we can have Tankoda take their place.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
undertrox

Post by undertrox »

Oops, I'm really sorry I slowed this down, I was quite busy the last few days. Anyways, I'll pick the Easter theme. How long do we have time to design?

Edit: just to make sure: this is the theme for the duel of Logan vs crease, right?
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

Traditionally, I believe it’s about a month for each round, with a week of voting between rounds.

And yes, that would be the topic for Logan and Crease’s duel.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
He I am called

Post by He I am called »

is it too late to join?
Folderp

Post by Folderp »

You are correct in regards to the timeframe Balto. I guess Crease and Logan can start their duel now whenever they're ready.
Here are the topics for Grace vs Undertrox:
1. Tessellation
2. Jungle
3. Food
My flickr