ODT8: Folderp vs. Baltorigamist - Sports

Friendly design and folding competitions.

Choose One:

Poll ended at May 3rd, 2020, 4:03 am

Baltorigamist - Kashmir Stag and/or Football
50%
Folderp - Jousting Knight and/or Karate Guy
50%

Total votes: 8

Tankoda

Re: ODT8: Folderp vs. Baltorigamist - Sports

Post by Tankoda »

I'm willing to judge if that's what y'all prefer
Folderp

Post by Folderp »

Well, I think Tankoda should be a pretty good impartial judge, so I'm happy with that.
My flickr
I finally got me some mc!
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

It's fine with me as well.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
Tankoda

Post by Tankoda »

Okay cool. I'll give this some thought and be back tomorrow hopefully with a judgement
Tankoda

Post by Tankoda »

Okay here goes.

Thoughts on each model:
Kashmir Stag: This looks like a great design! I would love to see it folded with thinner paper - I think the neck got a bit thick. Awesome though, especially with such a short timeline. My only real negative here is that, while I can see your interpretation of "sports," I think that this was, as you acknowledged, a pretty liberal interpretation.
Football: Great! Very professional, the finished thing looks polished, ready to be diagrammed and published. Color change models are tricky, and this one nails it. And on the nose as far as topic goes.
Jousting Knight: Awesome! Really ambitious, and you pulled it off! Especially from just a 32 grid, and its impressive that you even got a shield and jousting helmet out of it, with the ridiculous feather they always have. So, very nice. I'd love to see this one with paper that can hold its shape a bit better, but that's my only complaint.
Karate Guy: Nice work again! And the title kind of cracks me up, all those Karate movie titles are a lot more specific or pompous than "karate guy." The color change is very nice, and the belt works very well. Plus - flat foldable!

In the end though, as everyone says, this is pretty tricky, but my choice has gotta be Balto's football. It was, in my opinion, the most professional design, the most polished. I could 100% see this getting published in a Tanteidan book or something. The color change there is very intricate, but you nailed it, plus this one fit the topic best.
Folderp, really nice work though. It's exciting too see that you got Karate Guy flat-foldable, maybe this is the start of a new long tradition?...

Either way, nice work to everyone involved! This was a great round, 2 entries per competitor. Good stuff.
Folderp

Post by Folderp »

Thanks Tankoda, and congratulations Balto! Both your designs were very impressive, and I definitely think you deserved this win (although I wouldn't have complained too much if I won). As Tankoda said, your football is amazing, and it reminds me of one of the first designs of yours I ever saw, your equally impressive clapperboard.

And yes, karate guy is flat foldable, unlike my jousting knight, which mushes a fair bit around the horse's head and body. You will be pleased to hear that my most recent design, a spiky beetle that is also the most complex model I have ever designed, is flat foldable too :D We'll see if I can keep that up though...

And after all, we're talking about someone who literally named their first dragon design A Dragon, and my new beetle is just named Spike Beetle, so odd names, like odd designs, is something of a tradition for me.
My flickr
I finally got me some mc!
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

Thank you, Tankoda and Folderp! I'm glad you both liked my models, and yours (Folderp) were pretty impressive too! I especially like the Karate Guy's pose and color change.

Tankoda, I agree about the Kashmir Stag. I would definitely use larger paper if I were to fold it again. I know it was a stretch as far as the topic went, but I'm glad you like it! And to be honest, the Football was kind of an afterthought, but I'd definitely consider drawing diagrams for it someday (if I ever learn how, that is). For now, there's a crease pattern on my Twitter (@DirgeDreams) if anyone sees this and wants to fold it.

Thanks again, and Folderp, you did a great job. :)
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr