July 2020 Origami Design Challenge

Friendly design and folding competitions.
Nepafarius

July 2020 Origami Design Challenge

Post by Nepafarius »

In light of current events throughout the world, the topic for this month is: Micro.

This topic has two meanings, namely

1. Design something that is naturally microscopic in size. Bacteria, virus, bugbear, skin mites, etc. If it's nigh impossible to see with the naked eye then it counts.

Like my Bacteriophage

Or Petr Stuchly's Flat Mite

2. Design a model and then make it as small as humanly possible. You must post a side by side of a properly sized model and micro model so that the design can be properly judged. Smaller the better.

Example is my shark

Or this Rooster folded by Anja Markiewicz

Materials:

Any size and shape of paper
Multiple sheets allowed
Not cuts
MC allowed

I feel like if you make a micro Mike Rowe you should automatically win, but I'm not the judge this month, Marsch is.

Good luck everybody!

Edit: I'm sorry if this wasn't initially clear, but you can do either one or two. That is, if you design a microorganism, it doesn't need to be folded small, and conversely if you choose to design literally anything else it must be made micro. A sort of trade off for either choice.
Nepafarius

Re: July 2020 Origami Design Challenge

Post by Nepafarius »

We're a third of the way through the month, does anyone have some ideas?
NeverCeaseToCrease
Forum Sensei

Post by NeverCeaseToCrease »

Imageplant cell by The Plant Psychologist, on Flickr

Plant cell (that's the nucleus)
Ironic how paper is made out of plants...
Nepafarius

Post by Nepafarius »

We're halfway there, any challengers for NeverCeaseToCrease?
Grace159

Post by Grace159 »

ImageOpen Seed Pods by Grace Matthews, on Flickr These are seed pods that can open and close. The smaller model is made from 5cm square paper and final size is roughly 2cm wide.
Nepafarius

Post by Nepafarius »

Hey, it's a challenge now! Nice models both of you, marsch has their work cut out for them.
marsch

Post by marsch »

I'm happy to see plant related models.

The plant cell has a nicely rounded nucleus. But I think the box-like cell structure is too regular. Maybe it is possible to make it more irregular?

The open seed pods looks like a simple but clever base. Curves and straight lines look harmonic. It has two states - open and closed. Is it an action model or usable as a container?

Overall I think Grace Matthew's model is more interesting and therefore the winner.
Grace159

Post by Grace159 »

Thank you Marsch; I had so many ideas for this challenge, but few that I could take to miniature with confidence. I did manage one more 1.5cm wide version, however time got away from me. My model is an action model you can grip the model via the sides and the white mouth can be pushed shut only to spring back open. From the side it looks a little bit like a Pac-Man and you can grip other objects and pick them up.