Doing a Model without diagram or CP

Friendly design and folding competitions.
Aznman

Post by Aznman »

Mountain fold along the top of the picture (the border part). then mountain along the sides of the picture. Finally, fold the edges back out folding to look like the picture.

If you want the fold to stay together more, you can crimp one part on each side in the behind of the model. (you'll understand once you fold it).

I could make pictures.....I guess...
Asian Rice- The best in the business...
Flickr Photos
rokonacdc

Post by rokonacdc »

no need, i made it may be able t post a pic when my parents get back from their bike ride
Brendan
Life is too short to be serious, laugh it up.
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

Could you please tell me how to get the refference for the part I marked in red? Image

Also some hints on the collapsing of the model would be useful. Thanksd in advance
rokonacdc

Post by rokonacdc »

see, I am good
Brendan
Aznman

Post by Aznman »

Umm.... I never said you were not good. You asked for help and I responded......If you don't want help then don't ask.
Second, posting the same picture and text twice is not good.
You did a nice job on your model, but please do not post the same thing twice.
Flickr Photos
rokonacdc

Post by rokonacdc »

i didnt even know i did when i signed out before it was only there once and now it is there twice

i know you didnt say i was not good i said what i said becuse your description was very good and i made the model from it without the pictures so i was just telling that i didnt need them so i am soory for not being very clear
Brendan
Aznman

Post by Aznman »

Oh! Ok. Sorry if I came off as a little mean, I did not mean to. Like I said, Good job on your model! Maybe I should use crisp bills instead of wrinkled, crumpled...badness :)
Flickr Photos
rokonacdc

Post by rokonacdc »

that bill ctually looked pretty bad when i got but i decided okeep it in my wallet as to flatten it out and that is how it turned out
Brendan
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

To Brimstone

The top of the red triangle hits the line from the invisible octagon running from the top of one large triangle to the next, but I'm not sure, that the reference points I used are really those that Kamiya used. However, from this point downwards, the lines are drawn enclosing an right angle.
When I first folded the model I used slightly different reference points, beginning with a preliminary base whos side flaps where squashed and the upper triangles folded inwards to make the paper octagonal. The middle most octagon was folded one fourth down the way, the large triangles where generated by folding and unfolding the bottom corners to the centreline and bringing this new crease to align with the centreline again.
I'm still not sure how to get all the creases if you don't fold all the division lines, so maybe you can help me there.

About the folding sequence, maybe I will post pics later, but it's pretty early in the morning and I'm getting a visitor today, so I will see that I will get some more sleep before he's arriving.
The first thing you have to do when all the creases are in place is, the you make the innermost octagon valley as well as the little triangles going back from there. The centreline of the large triangle will be a mountain as well as the lines surrounding the little inner triangles. The base you get this way will look rather interesting. The next step is to sink in and out the large triangles, the rest will come nearly by itself. There's a clever locking mechanism included, just make sure that the inner layers go straight in the same direction (bring the flaps down one by another).

Hope that helps.
Last edited by origami_8 on May 14th, 2008, 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rockmanex6

Post by rockmanex6 »

I folds real diamond of the class (its 2 octagon), it not correct what you makes , but its good try, not to bad.

rock :)
origami_8 wrote:Here´s the cp:
(Hope I haven´t forgotten any creases)
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Two octagons, really? How uncool. Can you tell us a little bit more about the model (crease patterns for the two parts etc.)? I wouldn't ever have had the idea it could be a multi part model.

By the way, the model works great as a vase :D
Last edited by origami_8 on May 14th, 2008, 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

This is amazing. Origami8's solution is not like the original model, it is even better. From a single sheet.

Found all the references. Still trying to figure out how to collapse it.
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

So Anna congratulations on your new creation.

I am almost collapsing it at the moment. Could it be that there are a few creaees missing from the CP? Maybe the ones I drew here: Image
rockmanex6

Post by rockmanex6 »

Not multi, Kamiya its 1 piece (2 octagon small, big in square + diagnal connect), this make diamond lock bottom. But good tries you have also creaton diamond :)
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

I did it!! The other creases I mentioned should not be there. The closing of the model is still giving me trouble and I am doing it differently than Anna's picture. Awesome model. Congratulations Anna.

It's dark and the picture would not come out well but I'll take it first thing in th emorning and post it later tomorrow.

Now anyone else has another challenge?