Discussion - Monthly folding thread

Friendly design and folding competitions.
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

So, what's next? May has already started!
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
Joe the white

Post by Joe the white »

So, is the topic for May basically creating or folding bugs by authors from one sheet or more? I'm not sure if I fully understood the challenge.
anermak
Buddha

Post by anermak »

Joe the white wrote:So, is the topic for May basically creating or folding bugs by authors from one sheet or more? I'm not sure if I fully understood the challenge.
You can take models of others well-known authors executed by you are supposed :) , kinds fold, turnings, from one or several parts of a paper.. :)

Restrictions are not present
Fishgoth

Post by Fishgoth »

To recapitulate the rules:

-The challenge is 'The World of Insects', so the subject should should ideally be an insect. Please note that 'bugs' are one class of insects with overlapping wing cases ;-)
-The model can be folded from any number of sheets
-No glue, no cutting
-The model can be your own or someone elses. As always, extra credit will be given for your own designs.
-Please describe the paper used, the designer and the folder of the model
-My new rule: Please do not report images or models that you have previously displayed on this forum or another part of the internet! There are loads of insect photos out there, some of them on this forum, that are brilliant. If you have folded a Satoshi Hornet from the crease pattern, great, but don't make this competition the 15th time that you've posted it somewhere.
-On the 31st of May, Daydreamer will choose the three best models, and choose a subject for the 1st June.

Any further questions?
I once set up an origami PLC. But the business folded.
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

It is the month of May challenge, so submissions should be folded during the month of May.
Fishgoth

Post by Fishgoth »

A few comments on the latest challenge thread:

1) Could one of the mods / admin sticky these posts for one month at a time, and then unsticky them?

2) Could comments such as 'wow, thats cool' or 'nice paper' be kept to this thread. Please no posts, unless you have a picture to post, too.

3) The challenge is 'insects'. Not spiders. Not scorpions. And for that matter, not centipedes, not millipedes and not pseudoscorpions. Call me a pedant, but the catergory was <u>very</u> broad already ;-)

4) Name of folder and name of designer for each model, please!
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

So... in what way is a spider not an insect? :roll:
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
Fishgoth

Post by Fishgoth »

Honestly?

Well, Athropods are a huge phylum of creatures, including insects, spiders, crustaceans, millipedes, etc.

Insects are are one class within that phylum, spiders are another class.

Calling a spider an insect would be tantamount to calling a hippo a bird.

Well, you did ask ;-)
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

I agree with Fishgoth. Spiders may look a bit like insects, but they certainly aren't. Insects have six legs, with few exceptions (unless amputated, I guess)
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
perrosaurio

Post by perrosaurio »

well, daydreamer, in the only way there is. Insects are arthropodes (invertebrate having jointed limbs and a segmented body with an exoskeleton made of chitin) with heads of multiple composed eyes, two antennas and a six-pieces conformed mouth, thoraxes with three pairs of legs and normally two pairs of wings. Spiders and scorpions are arachnides who, even been arthropodes also, have four pairs of legs, no antennas and no wings and no segmented abdomen, as insects have.

I like being a nerd :wink:

greetings. :lol:
perrosaurio.
"Trust Komatsu, he knows where we are going..."
http://origamido-en.blogspot.com/
perrosaurio

Post by perrosaurio »

however, if I recall well, the theme of the contest was "the world of insects" which I guessed include arachnides (I was close to present Manuel Sirgo's black widow...) :D but I agree the restriction could be a good thing, since the large number of insects that already exists.

Anycase, Daydreamer is the judge, isn't it?

regards.
perrosaurio.
"Trust Komatsu, he knows where we are going..."
http://origamido-en.blogspot.com/
Finward

Post by Finward »

Fishgoth wrote:A few comments on the latest challenge thread:
3) The challenge is 'insects'. Not spiders. Not scorpions. And for that matter, not centipedes, not millipedes and not pseudoscorpions. Call me a pedant, but the catergory was <u>very</u> broad already ;-)
You must have said it before... I have already screwed up :oops:
JeossMayhem
Forum Sensei

Post by JeossMayhem »

Just a suggestion, but would it be too much to ask for a weekly or bi-weekly challenge opposed to a monthly? I just think more themes would inspire more entries, because as things are now, they the thread grinds to a half after about two weeks... :?
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

I've noticed that too. The pureland challenge just sort of... died... back when it was being held
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
Fishgoth

Post by Fishgoth »

Might be an idea.

Might also be handy if one of the mods / admin could sticky (for a short while) the competition thread. Please? Pretty please?