Folding the Zodiac

Friendly design and folding competitions.
Cupcake
Buddha

Folding the Zodiac

Post by Cupcake »

Since the idea arrived on the average age topic, I thought I should start this. I know that Noburu Miyajima already folded the Japanese zodiac but I was think of folding Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Libra, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius and Pisces.
Aquarius has already been folded by HOJYO Takashi, and most of the models would be relatively simple. The real challenges would be Gemini, Virgo, and Sagittarius. So, who's up for the challenge? Heres a picture of all the models to be folded:
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
rockmanex6

Post by rockmanex6 »

origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

Did you miss the part where Cupcake said The Chinese Zodiac is already done??
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

Virgo could simply be a lady, sagittarius could be a mix between a centaur model and an archer model and gemini could be two persons linked by the arm (I'm sure you could easily do something like that with your man models, Cupcake). I might try to fold some of those signs some time as they are interesting ideas for origami models.
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Hmm... I was looking for something to design lately, I think I might try making some of these (or all, maybe)
origamimasterjared wrote:Did you miss the part where Cupcake said The Chinese Zodiac is already done??
and no, I didn't hear that... I only said the japanese zodiac (but I didn't want the chinese zodiac, either...)
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Well, the Japanese and the Chinese zodiac are basically the same...

There are also some sources for the "western" zodiac in Origami.

A very simple version can be found here: http://www.geocities.co.jp/Milkyway-Lyn ... igami.html

There's also a chinese book called "Origami & Constellations" which has a bit more advanced origami representation of the zodiac and some other star constellations. I wasn't able to figure out the ISBN number or any online source for the book unfortunately.
There is also this book which seems to have similar models to the book I have.

As for the sagittarius, there's this cool centaur by Eileen Tan.
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
ghost rider

Post by ghost rider »

It´s an interesting challenge to create those figures.
I have already created an scorpio and a crab (or cancer in latin)....take a look in http://creacionesorigami.blogspot.com/
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

very nicely done! I almost forgot about this challenge
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs