Monthly Folding Challenge - October 2007

Friendly design and folding competitions.
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

he is hung for being a psycopath.
Shocked
Sorry, but the English major in me (no, I'm not an English major :P) has to tell you that it is 'hanged' not hung.

Thank you for the comments! I am still trying to add that second leg to my heron...

Anyway, I am very surprised how many good models are showing up! Folding two things from the same piece of paper is pretty hard. I am determined to win this one though :evil:
qtrollip
Forum Sensei

Post by qtrollip »

MMM. I just spent 2 hours folding a 60 INCH square into a base for my latest design. Just to realise that the reference points were wrongfully calculated!!! Now it is back to the drawing board to see if I can get this thing right!
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

alisher_navoi wrote:Jared, i really like that frog on the lily pad, well done! any diagrams for those???
Thanks! No, no diagrams yet. I really don't like making diagrams, it takes me forever, and I don't understand how you have made so many! I may make diagrams for the crane one though. I'm really happy with the design, 100% optimized, all layers and sections are sized and lined up perfectly. It's on my list, after assorted dino/dinoesque pieces...

I may rework the frog sometime. I was extremely proud of the design when I first made it, and looking at it again, it still looks good, but it could use some work, e.g. better shaping of the frog.

I just spent 2 hours folding a 60 INCH square into a base for my latest design. Just to realise that the reference points were wrongfully calculated!!!
HAHAHAHA. I hate it when that happens...
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

Yeah I fold wrong reference points all the time...although I don't know where the heck you found a 60" square :P
qtrollip
Forum Sensei

Post by qtrollip »

I got some large banner paper from a shop in the US called DickBlick. Funny name, but they have lots of paper though. The import tax to get it into Canada was 36 dollars!!! So sometimes internet shopping's not that much cheaper!
So I've spent lots of time, money and frustration on this design and it is still eluding me!!! I think I've figured out the CP. But I just cannot find a way of getting the reference points 100%. It's got diagonal box-pleats (in the center of the square) that need to line up with the 22.5 degree based base, that is folded after the pleats. So it needs to be perfect!
I dont use computer programs to find reference points anyway, hence my frustration. But it's gonna be good once I figure it out!! (I hope)
Anyway, good luck to all you guys participating in this challenge.

Jared, I quite like the ring of fire!
alisher_navoi

Post by alisher_navoi »

origamimasterjared wrote: Thanks! No, no diagrams yet. I really don't like making diagrams, it takes me forever, and I don't understand how you have made so many! I may make diagrams for the crane one though. I'm really happy with the design, 100% optimized, all layers and sections are sized and lined up perfectly. It's on my list, after assorted dino/dinoesque pieces...
I have seen another version for a Frog on a Lily pad at http://www.ericweb.com/origami/diagrams/,, but yours is much better

As with the diagrams, I have some for e the basist and the koala, for jared and quentin. Let me know if you guys are interested. Cheers
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Dwarf's house with mushroom next to it, folded from 15cm japanese foil.
The downside on foil is that it is really hard to get good pictures, they where all a bit blurred...

phienix99

Post by phienix99 »

wow i like the subject for this month!
so far i designed only 2 things like this:

Devil on Crane version 2

Banner Orizuru - designed as a gift where we can write our wishes on the banner
partial step photo-fold here : http://phienix.blogspot.com/2007/09/ban ... ne_17.html
nobody hates origami
emberjelly

Post by emberjelly »

origami_8 wrote:Dwarf's house with mushroom next to it, folded from 15cm japanese foil.
cool. love the dwarf's house, nice clolour change for the mushroom.
qtrollip
Forum Sensei

Post by qtrollip »

Wow. That mushroom is great! I've tried a mushroom before and failed miserably. Then Mr Vincent Floderer came along with his mushrooms and stuff and I thought "What the hell, that can't be beaten". But your moshroom is excellent for not being crumpled! Well done.

And Phienix99 (Phoenix99), i really like the Banner Orizuru also. Would look good for a header of a website.....
alisher_navoi

Post by alisher_navoi »

I Think you must have modified Stephen Weiss's Woodland Elf Design in mytical creatures? Am I right???
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

No, the model is from a square divided in half (using pleats on both sides) with one side folded into a waterbomb base for the house and the other side pleated further for the mushroom.
I got the idea yesterday morning on my way to work, when seeing many trees and houses and I thought it should be possible to do it this way.

What I like especially on the model is, that the house actually has a chimney :)
qtrollip
Forum Sensei

Post by qtrollip »

Here are some of my designs of "combination models" for this topic. Some of them are quite old, I'll just put them up for interest sake.
Humpty Dumpty on the Wall
Matador and cape
Jesus on the Cross
Comedy and Tragedy Masks
Cupid with Bow and Arrow
Skull and Bones

My new design is almost finished and I'll post it soon.
alisher_navoi

Post by alisher_navoi »

excellent subjects!!!! quentin! with the new jolly roiger!!!!!!!!! wel done! im pretty impressed with all the colour changes!!!!!!!!!
quesoonfire

Post by quesoonfire »

Nice job on the skull wih bones, i like the tetrahedrons for eyes.