A discussion of themes for the APRIL origami challenge

Friendly design and folding competitions.
firstfold
Forum Sensei

A discussion of themes for the APRIL origami challenge

Post by firstfold »

Here I plan to discuss at least two possible themes for the APRIL origami challenge. At this point do NOT submit either pictures or even suggested models, just a dsicusion of the themes.

Here is my first idea which I call "Three of a kind"
The broad idea is that each person enetering the challenge would propose their own individual theme and then present not one but three separate models.

It might go something like this:
The first entry would include a definition of the theme and a simple model (traditional of already existing model) to illustrate the theme. This would be judged not so much on the model selected but on how well the theme is defined.
The second model would be the ideal of the theme. It should be what the person considers to be one his or her best representations that realizes the theme. This model would be judged priomarily on appearance, beauty and/or a show of folding skill.
The thid model would be the submission of a definetly original model judged primarily on originality and surprise.
Only one of the three models need be original as long as credit is given when folding a model designed by someone else. However, the most points would be given for the originality of that one self-designed model.

Advantage of this idea? Allows for a lot of skill levels and people get to work on what they think is their strength. Might get people going early with simple (traditional?) models.

Disadvantage? Too complex rules - a judging nightmare.

What do you think?
Charles "Doc" Santee
Flicker: https://www.flickr.com/photos/firstfold/
See action origami on Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/user/firstfold
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

It does seem rather complex-another disadvantage of it would be the time commitment. Three models is a lot to design/fold. It is interesting and very very broad, though.
firstfold
Forum Sensei

Second Idea

Post by firstfold »

Here is my second idea

The challenge for June was to fold household objects. There was over 5000 hits and the entries were highly creative. I entered but didn't even place in this challenge.

How about folding objects, clothing, architecture, and yes furniture from particular historical period.
My favorite is the Victorian Age but I sure there are other possibilities.

Go to Flickr do a search for "Antique Doll House" and you will see a wonderful array of objects that might turn into some realy unique origami models

First do you like this idea - second what is a good time period for really neat and somewhat different origami models. I know of at least one person who did a whole series on a particular time period.
Charles "Doc" Santee
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Your second idea sounds interesting. As for time period I would suggest "The Future" since that might spawn even more creativity (and it's less restrictive). What might clothing/furniture/... look like in 10/100/1000 years :-)
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
mike352

Post by mike352 »

Other than the fact that I just created a themed series of models, I think coming up with 3 separate/modified models in a month's time is perhaps a little too much for most of us. Your second idea sounds quite a lot easier, and it's a little more specific, which is good. Perhaps I'll contribute to the monthly challenge this month (depends on my free time), unless it's your first idea, in which case I'm ready.
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

Daydreamer wrote:Your second idea sounds interesting. As for time period I would suggest "The Future" since that might spawn even more creativity (and it's less restrictive). What might clothing/furniture/... look like in 10/100/1000 years :-)
No clothing! Er...maybe. Or maybe the world will be post-apocalyptic in the future and there will be no furniture either? In that case you could do something like Jeremy Shafer's Monolithic Rubblestone Boulder :lol:
perrosaurio

Post by perrosaurio »

I like more your first idea (even when the second sounds ok too). Anyway I agree with doing three models in a month (one of them designed) is too difficult.

But my point is to fight a little the concept of extra awarding the own designed figures. I'm not a designer-like origamist and always feels a little "out of contest", or "out of chances", in this monthly challenge. Despite the fact that creating new models not always is a meaning of originality (specially with box pleating), the skills of a folder resides pretty much on that: folding. I think it should be fair, once in a while, maybe every 4 months or so, to make a challenge based on folding skills and resulting figures, selection of paper, size of the sheet and the resulting model, cleanliness, expression, there are many factors possible to evaluate.

To me an exciting challenge could be to make miniatures of a complex figure. Like I have done with the Ancient Dragon or the Icarus

Well, that's my 5 cents, just my point of view. :P

Many regards.
perrosaurio.
"Trust Komatsu, he knows where we are going..."
http://origamido-en.blogspot.com/
qtrollip
Forum Sensei

Post by qtrollip »

what about a new topic based on that, Perrosaurio? A different challenge for not so much designing, but more the folding and other things you mentioned. Or will that overlap too much with the "What have you folded lately" topic?
Android raptor

Post by Android raptor »

I actually like the first idea better. I think I could work with it more easily :D
perrosaurio

Post by perrosaurio »

hi qtrollip

yeah, that should be, only to know if there are interested contestants in a "Best Folded Challenge" :twisted:

I will think in a good theme for the first one...

regards.
perrosaurio.
"Trust Komatsu, he knows where we are going..."
http://origamido-en.blogspot.com/
firstfold
Forum Sensei

New theme for April - final decision

Post by firstfold »

I have considered very carefully all the suggestions offered here and have come to the following conclusions:

1. The tradition of the monthly challenge has been to encourage and fold NEW, ORIGINAL models and I am not yet ready to abandon that tradition. I recognize the artistry and skill of folding a model designed by another person but I feel that the monthly challenge is not the appropriate venue for that type of contest.
2. Folding three items in a one moth period would discourage some participants and I think outweighs the advantages gained by allowing people to choose their own theme.
3. Choosing one theme is more likely to encourage designers to create something outside of their usual choice for inspiration and is more likely to lead to models that are different than what is customarily folded. The trick is to choose one theme that is somewhat different than usual, yet broad enough to encourage a wide variety of models.
4. I like both the idea of creating models base on items from the distant past, yet also like the idea of items that might represent a somewhat distant future. Folding from the past gives the designer (and the judge) a broad base actual items for sources of inspiration and an actual object with which to judge the results. Folding items on what might exist in the future is rich in imaginative possibilities.

With this in mind, here is my THEME for the April monthly challenge:

FOLDING OUT OF TIME – design and display one NEW model during the month of April which is based on anything which does or might exist 100 to 200 years away from the present date. You could go backwards to approximately the 19th century (1808 to 1908) or forwards to approximately the 22nd century (2108 to 2208). If you feel really compelled to take on an additional challenge, fold a model that represents an existing item from the 19th century and then another model based on what it might look like 200 years later.

I hope you will all attempt a model for this challenge. I will start a new thread on April 1 where you can display your creations.
Charles "Doc" Santee
Android raptor

Post by Android raptor »

Can our models be based on things that already exist in sci-fi should we choose to do the future route? 'Cause I'm thinking this would be the perfect excuse to design an Apsaras III mobile armor (from the anime Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team) :D
firstfold
Forum Sensei

Post by firstfold »

Sci Fi sounds great to me ! If you do base it on somthing you have seen from another source - just give the source when you present the model - this might make it easier for the judge.
Charles "Doc" Santee
Aleburzyn

Post by Aleburzyn »

I never participate in these contests (and I think I won't for a very long time), but I enjoy seeing the results.
I think that the "Best folded challenge" is a good idea (also that it should be a different contest, not this one). The reason is that I was tempted to propose something like: "Fold the most complex model you can, from a square of copy paper, cut from an A4 sheet". I know that it doesn't sound very fun (or not fun at all maybe :roll: ), but the result would be interesting, specially for the people who only use copy paper, to see what the most experienced folders can archive with the same materials.
Just wanted to make the comment :) .
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

Aleburzyn wrote:"Fold the most complex model you can, from a square of copy paper, cut from an A4 sheet".
But there are so many different grades of copy paper. There would still be a wide variety of results.
Yes, I am that Joseph Wu. Not that it really matters. And please call me Joseph or Joe. "Mr. Wu" is my dad. :)