Monthly Folding Challenge - November 2008

Friendly design and folding competitions.
Sadarac

Post by Sadarac »

hmm well im gonna try to do rayquazza(from pokemon, hes a kick ass looking draggon :) ) and somethings from mario kart. (super star , blue shell, ect) if i get one done ill try to show photos.

:rayquazza looks hard i think ill wait untill i get ODS
Origami forums design group viewtopic.php?p=49612#49612
"When you put a crease in a piece of paper, You're essentially changeing the memory of that piece." - Erik Demaine (from "Between the Folds")
ahudson
Forum Sensei

Post by ahudson »

um... not sure how to put this...

Sadarac, ODS won't turn you into a really good designer. Practice will; ODS will only make your designs more complex, not better (there's a BIG difference between the two). If you can't design a good simple model, you won't be able to design a good complex model either; and designing simple models takes practice, practice, practice. So start designing something! Don't wait for ODS.
angrydemon
Forum Sensei

Post by angrydemon »

I thought about folding Rayquaza myself. Trust me, it isn't as easy as you think. Especially those um...trapezium shaped flaps on his body.
You need to crawl before you can run. Otherwise you'll fall over and break your nose.
I've fallen down, and I can't get up.
My Flickr
Max

Post by Max »

You need to crawl before you can run. Otherwise you'll fall over and break your nose.
Aye, wise words from the master of the cheap jokes :p
Sadarac

Post by Sadarac »

im not saying i wount design without ods. im just saying i will postpone rayquazza and some others untill i get it. i have been designing more simple things. like i made a simple wyvern from a bird base and a dragon boat. i also made a set of glider wings (if you make it in a off-white paper and bend it further it looks like momo's ears :) ) but of corse non of those are video game related. im thinking that i could make a thwomp from the mario games. but i need to think how to make the spikes on the sides :( im kinda stuck though. im probably gonna just work on subbmissions for the cristmas e-book. if i make something video game related then ill post it.
"When you put a crease in a piece of paper, You're essentially changeing the memory of that piece." - Erik Demaine (from "Between the Folds")
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Another gaming classic:
Moonspinner

Post by Moonspinner »

lmao nice one wolf! I always played that game with sheep though lol...
Terranova

Cavernous Maw

Post by Terranova »

Nice Frogger scene XD Frogger II: Swampy's Revenge ranks up there as one of the greatest games ever created, ever.

Here is my very rough design: a Cavernous Maw from Final Fantasy XI. They look like Atomos, and if you jump into them, you travel back in time 20 years (or forward in time if you go through them from the past).

Here it is in game:

And here is my design (sorry for the giant images!):

I apologize for the horrible image quality, my camera sucks and the foil was being way too reflective. It didn't help that it can't stand on its own, either and I'm far too lazy to make a wire stand for it. It was folded from a square of green American foil, 25 centimeters to a side. This is my second ever original model, I hope you all like it :D
Don't make me get metaphorical with you.
Mars

Post by Mars »

Nice Terranova!!!
You did a great job folding just like in the picture! :D
With a little more work, you could probably add more teeth :twisted: (not that you need to :wink: )

Keep up the good folds! :D
Keep on trying, it will work.
Sadarac

Post by Sadarac »

NICE! the photos are fine bye the way.
OrigamiGianluca

Post by OrigamiGianluca »

Terranova, the photos are fine, but they are to big and they muddle up all the page.

Nice frogger scene!
Frogger was one of the fist colour videogames I've played. :)
www.origamigianluca.com --> Fold with me...

Looking for some diagramming tips? Click HERE!
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

ah man! that frogger scene is cool!!! i really like the details, and effort put into it, like the car, with a squished frog under it! haha!!! great vision! :D

and thats a real good canervous maw! nice choice of paper, it really gives it that moving smoke feel
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

If you don't know how to resize images, then upload them to either http://www.imageshack.us/ or http://flickr.com/. Both of them offer the possibility to resize your images. For Forums pictures that fit into a 640x640 pixels square are just about the right size.
Sadarac

Post by Sadarac »

i finnaly got a flickr. Now i just neeed to have an eppifanny and figure out a good video game model. maybe my teacher could help me.
romane

Post by romane »

Adam wrote:I have created.... Pong.

Folded from 3 uncut squares. ( 2x 10.5*10.5 and 1x 2.625*2.625 ).

You all might as well give up, because nobody can beat this amazingly cool scene!
this is my first entry ever and i have designed pong
from ONE uncut rectangle :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27645077@N02/3033669307/

i beat you!...
to bad it isn't original anymore :cry:
Robert Lang: You take an idea, combine it with a square, and you get an origami figure.