Monthly Folding Challenge - July 2009

Friendly design and folding competitions.
legionzilla
Forum Sensei

Post by legionzilla »

War? Where? Which war?
You all are destroying the Eiffel Tower! :shock:
Anyway, in my opinion, the Eiffel Tower can be considered as a structure. After all, it is just a big metal sculpture!
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

And skyscrapers are big sculptures of metal, concrete, and glass. But they are primarily buildings, not works of art.
spiritofcat

Post by spiritofcat »

Jonnycakes wrote:And skyscrapers are big sculptures of metal, concrete, and glass. But they are primarily buildings, not works of art.
But what is the primary purpose of the Eiffel Tower? Art or funtional building?

In my opinion, the Eiffel Tower should be allowed, but things like the Sydney Harbour Bridge, Sydney Opera House, Leaning Tower of Pisa, Pyramids of Giza should not.

Back to France once again, about the Arc de Triomphe?
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

If you go by Wikipedia's definition of Sculpture (and the topic is sculpture, and not building, work of art or "famous thing") neither the Eiffel Tower nor the Arc de Triomphe qualify for this challenge.
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
spiritofcat

Post by spiritofcat »

Daydreamer wrote:If you go by Wikipedia's definition of Sculpture (and the topic is sculpture, and not building, work of art or "famous thing") neither the Eiffel Tower nor the Arc de Triomphe qualify for this challenge.
I beg to differ.
The definition I see on Wikipedia is this:
Sculpture is three-dimensional artwork created by shaping or combining hard and/or plastic material, sound, and/or text and or light, commonly stone (either rock or marble), metal, glass, or wood.
The Eiffel Tower is a three-dimensional artwork created by combining metal.
The Arc de Triomphe is a three-dimensional artwork created by shaping and combining rock.
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

And the Empire State Building (clearly a building) is also a "three-dimensional artwork created by shaping or combining hard and/or plastic material, ... metal, glass, or wood." All buildings are artistic works, are 3-dimensional, and are made from materials that a sculpture could also be made from. Just about anything qualifies as a sculpture by this definition. Even things like cars would be sculptures (yes, car design is very artistic). If you allow the Eiffel Tower by Wikipedia's definition, you should also include all buildings since they are 3-dimensional artwork. They are functional, practical buildings before they are artistic masterpieces, however, and should not be treated as sculptures. A chair could be considered a table because it has a flat surface that you can use to put things on top of. It is primarily a piece of furniture to sit down on, however, and is hence considered just a chair, not a table as well.
akugami
Forum Sensei

Post by akugami »

it may be possibe that victoria thought about sculptures with a human being on or in it - just look at her pictures and the description. even the quadriga shows a leader of the waggon ...
i can't find any hint to architectural monuments in the preface.
legionzilla
Forum Sensei

Post by legionzilla »

Whatever, if any of you can fold a fully detailed Eiffel Tower, like the one found at dev.origami.com, it is a feat in its own right.
ahudson
Forum Sensei

Post by ahudson »

I've noticed that some of you have been arguing about the "rules" of the challenge every time it happens. Could you please stop? The subject of the challenge is meant just for inspiration. It's not a boundary or limiting factor, it's just a theme to give you ideas.

And besides, it's the judge's final choice anyway-- they've told you what they expect, it's not up to you to define or clarify that further. So can we all stop arguing about it and just fold something?

For fear of looking like a hypocrite, I'm submitting something now even though it's not very good:

"Fountain" by Marcel Duchamp, 1917. Oddly enough, in 2004 a bunch of art professionals voted it the most influential artwork of the 20th century: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4059997.stm
legionzilla
Forum Sensei

Post by legionzilla »

Pretty good 3d effect for the fountain, ahudson!
penselen

Post by penselen »

My design for July's challenge:
firstfold
Forum Sensei

Post by firstfold »

Bird Girl of Savana Georga as seen on the book "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil"

Folded from one square (the base is a separate sheet)

I have a special variation of this fold which I will show somewhat later in the contest !
Charles "Doc" Santee
Flicker: https://www.flickr.com/photos/firstfold/
See action origami on Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/user/firstfold
legionzilla
Forum Sensei

Post by legionzilla »

penselen, good job on the sphinx!!! The colour changes are superb!
firstfold, interesting... can't wait to see your later version!!!
petr-stuchly

things will go easier...

Post by petr-stuchly »

so Victoria said, multi-paper models are allowed, so i will try a statue of liberty this way tomorrow. i have never tried that before and just my two cents, rather more sheets than cuts :lol: :lol: :lol:
what can i say? look at my fickr.com gallery and read about my greatest creatures... email me if you want. i answer it
legionzilla
Forum Sensei

Post by legionzilla »

Quentin has created the Statue of Liberty from a single sheet of paper, Jason Ku too!