Monthly Folding Challenge - August 2009

Friendly design and folding competitions.
Niels

Post by Niels »

Thank you Sara, you are right. I tend do stretch rules to my own liking, I like it when someone shows me where I am wrong.
And I agree with your last two paragraphs. It is why it is called "origami design challenge" and not "contest".
Donya

Post by Donya »

The inspiration bug has nipped me once more this month: Stegosaurs. Although the famous one-fold stegosaur is quite humorous, I have to admit that if I was just shown it with no label, I wouldn't know what it was supposed to be. I decided to try a minimum fold-count Stegosaurus and see how many features I needed to add before I could hand the model to my husband without him having the dreaded "uh...what is it?" response. :lol:

So, this is the level of detail I needed to add to pass that test (although some features are still rather abstract):

Inspiration:
- Stegosaurus by John Montroll http://www.giladorigami.com/P_Stegosaorus_Montroll.JPG
- Stegosaurus by Ronald Koh http://www.giladorigami.com/P_CDO2002_K ... saurus.jpg

Hopefully they are complex enough. I only have diagrams for the Montroll one.

Folds for mine: 27. I don't see possible further minimizations without going into absurdities.

Diagrams: http://fc06.deviantart.com/fs29/f/2009/ ... aQuick.pdf - I should emphasize that the "repeat behind" steps are only one fold each. I only did that to avoid lots of redundant figures flipping the model over each time. It is 27 folds total, including all repeated things.

There are no tail spikes, but there are none on a number of other models I've seen. Grafting some spikes would be rather easy I imagine, but would quickly exceed 30 folds.

By the way, I'm sorry about the ads when viewing the diagrams of my models. I didn't realize until today that, unless you are logged in to deviantart, it pushes an add at you before you can view the pdf. Fortunately, it seems possible to bypass the ads if you instead use right click/save-as.
Donya, that scorpion is awesome!
Thanks for the kind words. :)

There are a lot of impressive submissions so far. I'm particularly fond of Cephalopod's Octopus.

(Edited to fix a couple typos)
!

Post by ! »

Donya, that is amazing! I never thought I'd live to see a simple stegosaurus, but you've proved me wrong, and elegantly so! Wonderful piece.
The name's Joe.
joseph.slote@gmail.com
PauliusOrigami
Forum Sensei

Post by PauliusOrigami »

This is Kamiyas Eagle ray:

I designed my eagle ray a day ago:
This model has 16 folds and can be diagrammed in less than 15 steps.

p.s. nice dino's Donya : )
Last edited by PauliusOrigami on August 27th, 2009, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My flickr gallery. Come to visit and leave feedback.
elanman

Post by elanman »

Wow, the Eagle Ray looks a lot like Kamiya's original!
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Here is my Fiddler Crab, based on the model by Brian Chan. I decided to try make the legs like Donya's scorpion.
Imagel
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

This is a crimp, right?

ImageImage

Because if it is 1 fold, then I can give my guy feet and a hat like this:

My super growing flickr gallary- Check it out!
_Insert witty signature here_
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

That is indeed a crimp.
Whitefly

Post by Whitefly »

PauliusOrigami wrote:I designed my eagle ray a day ago:
=D>
Paul,
C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S
Your Eagle_Ray looks really fine!

Mario
Jank

Post by Jank »

I think the fiddler crab was pretty good
Jurugami
legionzilla
Forum Sensei

Post by legionzilla »

Paulius, I like the eagle ray, I'd say it looks alot like Kamiya-san's!!!
Donya, well done with the stegosaurus too!!!
Cupcake, I really like the crab, I actually thought it had all its legs!!!
This is my entry to the contest- Ancient dragon in exactly 30 folds. I like that it has the horns and the long tail!!!
Image[/img]
aces21

Post by aces21 »

Thurberus!

I figured as Kamiya's Cerberus is on the cover of the new Tanteidan collection I would try a simple version. I wanted to do a montroll style head(s) to at least try and make it look agressive, but couldn't keep to fold count down. Then I remembered Robert Neale's Thurber dog, which I like a lot by the way.

So this is based on that model for the body, but with 3 heads. The name seemed kind of obvious! I figure it is around 22 "folds", depending on how you fold a bird base. Other than that, its just a load of crimps!
FrumiousBandersnatch
Forum Sensei

Post by FrumiousBandersnatch »

that is freaking adorable aces!!!
juston

(another) rose...

Post by juston »

I know that Elboberto7 and origami_8 have already made some wonderful (and wonderfully simple) roses but I thought I'd throw my hat in the ring with something a bit different (while simultaneously being completely the same).

The challenge states that entries must be 30 steps or less... so I decided to make the busiest, most complex looking rose I could in exactly 30. I based it partly on Kawasaki's ubiquitous rose (the twist mechanism) and partly on Lang's A Miura-ken Beauty Rose (the crazy, in-full-bloom-petals-everywhere look)... it's something of a hybrid species.

I was thinking of calling it something silly like "A Miura-ken Personality Rose" ('cause you know, looks aren't everything :wink:) but I ended up liking it too much.

EDIT: Here's the step breakdown just so no one thinks I'm cheating. :wink:

8 steps to get what I consider the "base" (which is just a bird base with all the flaps up).

8 more steps to get the overall shape of the what will become the spiral arms.

4 steps that impart the twist on the model.

9 open sinks (this and the twist are what gives the otherwise plain spiral arms their complex look). You can do this before twisting the model but I find it easier to do after.

Final step, roll down the outer petals to give a more natural look.
Last edited by juston on August 31st, 2009, 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sara

Re: (another) rose...

Post by Sara »

juston wrote:The challenge states that entries must be 30 steps or less... so I decided to make the busiest, most complex looking rose I could in exactly 30.
How could that ever be done in only 30 folds? Very impressive!
Will you make diagrams? Does the model have references, or is it mostly judgment folds?

-- Sara