Monthly Folding Challenge - October 2009

Friendly design and folding competitions.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

It obviously is! I'm not sure about Shabadu's though.
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

What about interesting box-pleating? Would that be all right :P
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Well, just because Jared has an unexplainable boxpleating-phobia, doesn't mean you are not allowed to use it. There's nothing in the rules of this challenge against it.
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
Shabadu

Post by Shabadu »

The arms are kinda diagonally pleated, but with maekawa's devil style hands. I really just fold experimentally and don't have a real gameplan when I design something. I dislike excessive precreasing because it makes it very hard for me to just straight up fold something at work or on the bus or in a restaurant.
Joe the white

Post by Joe the white »

I wouldn't say Jared's distaste of box-pleating is unexplainable, I too sometimes suffer from box-pleat burnout.

When I attended OUSA 2007, I sat in on Robert Lang's lecture on Square Packing and Pythagorean Stretches. The main focus was on box-pleating and its uses. One of the examples was Kamiya's Ryu Zin, and how box-pleating was probably the best course of action for the model. Generally box-pleating is for quick design (no compasses or computer aid, as in circle-packing), and has little paper conservation, which usually means a more clunky and less elegant model. When you look at human figures, a majority of them are indeed box-pleated, so a question to ponder would be "Are human figures best suited to a box-pleated style of design, or is it done for ease?"

I think I'll give this challenge a try, as well as the added challenge of a non-box-pleat method (I do so love grafts though).
origamifreak_1.6180339889

Post by origamifreak_1.6180339889 »

sorry for the blurry pictures.
model name- naughty
description- a devil chick
model name- nice
description- angel chick in a mini skirt
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

That is true, but box-pleating seems to suit a lot of human figures. One big thin is that it is easier to get the proportions right.
topsu

Post by topsu »

Hmm, non-box pleated human figures... I should try one. But box pleating was the best way to make my entry this month, since more layers gave me the additional detail I wanted, especially for the sweater.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

origamifreak_1.6180339889, regarding to the fifths rule the models need to be specifically created for this contest. I remember your models from a few month ago so this can't hold true.

then i withdraw my entry. :(
Joe the white

Post by Joe the white »

Don't fret origamifreak, there is still time to enter, have another try and you might surprise yourself.

I tend to agree, Johnnycakes and Topsu. Many of the best figures, those often created by Hojyo Takashi and Eric Joisel, contain at least partial box-pleating. The thin limbs and lots of layers benefit human figures for detail, where as the unused layers can detract from other models.
akugami
Forum Sensei

Post by akugami »

yes, o-freak, just try to find a new design - there's about one week left for doing so :wink:

just created a different model but its not nearly as good as my other ones. ill take a pic as soon as possible
legionzilla
Forum Sensei

Post by legionzilla »

Its not that Jared has an unexplainable phobia for box-pleating, but it's just that everybody's doing it, so by not doing it, its unique!
Anyway, you need not completely box-pleat a model. Topsu once told me that you can incorporate various techniques to make an overall more eye-pleasing figure.
Ondrej.Cibulka
Buddha

Post by Ondrej.Cibulka »

Something without British Petroleum (BP):
very very long link
You can try it, it is quite easy and you need just valley fold:
quite shorter link
Ondrej Cibulka Origami, www.origamido.cz