Monthly Folding Challenge - November 2009

Friendly design and folding competitions.
insaneorigami
Forum Sensei

Post by insaneorigami »

Actually, el senior b, it is quite nice :).

Well done :).
childofsai

Post by childofsai »

omg I must admit I didn't see it at first -- now I do! I really like it, el senor b!

A colour change would make it even more awesome ^__^
el señor b

Post by el señor b »

Actually, it incorporated a color change to begin with, I just folded it out of one-tone paper. Here it is with different paper:
The colored part on the lower right was bothering me, so during my physics lecture I came up with a slight variation, which I'm not sure I like.
@childofsai I can see how you didn't see it at first... it's like that duck/rabbit optical illusion thing http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... lusion.jpg
Falcifer

Post by Falcifer »

The variation looks really great, in my opinion.
legionzilla
Forum Sensei

Post by legionzilla »

Really good. Those color changes are awesome!
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

I call it "Bunny God" or Usagigami (I think that's the correct Japanese). It's an anthropomorphic bunny with four arms, wings, and a fox tail.

Folded from a 10 inch square of origami paper...just a little springy for that second set of arms.

Click on the picture to read more and see a bunch more photos. I also have the CP at my Flickr.
topsu

Post by topsu »

Nice one Jared!

we'll see if I finish my tengu in time...
Zoraz

Post by Zoraz »

Never would have guessed that! Usagi = rabbit, so I think you got the name right. I finally got a decent sized piece of white, so I'll be entering very soon
topsu

Post by topsu »

It's the time to post my entry, I guess:

for this month's challenge I had a go at a "tengu".
here's what wikipedia says:

Tengu (天狗?, "heavenly dogs") are a class of supernatural creatures found in Japanese folklore, art, theater, and literature. They are one of the best known yōkai (monster-spirits) and are sometimes worshipped as Shinto kami (revered spirits or gods). Although they take their name from a dog-like Chinese demon (Tiangou), the tengu were originally thought to take the forms of birds of prey, and they are traditionally depicted with both human and avian characteristics. They appear in the children's story Banner in the sky when the main character trips over one and falls off the face of the mountain. The earliest tengu were pictured with beaks, but this feature has often been humanized as an unnaturally long nose, which today is practically the tengu's defining characteristic in the popular imagination.

I tried to kind of mix different types of tengu together, getting a result like this:

As you can see, it's taking off. I read that these are able to transform into a different shape if they want, so I tried to also get that to the design.

here are some pictures of the the real thing:

satsukawa

Post by satsukawa »

origamimasterjared, can u show me a reference picture? Or any site with picture and description of usagi gami.
andssl

Post by andssl »

Satsukawa, Jareds's cp is in his flickr page (link above).
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

origamimasterjared : I like your Usagigami a lot.
topsu : It seems we got the same idea, but represented much differently :wink:

This challenge was perfect for something I had in mind a while ago. Here's my submission : Tengu Yamabushi. topsu pretty much summed up what a tengu is. I'd like to add that there are two main types of tengus : karasu and yamabushi. I think the yamabushi are some kind of «greater» tengus (the ones in the pictures in topsu's post) while the karasu are «lesser» tengus.

topsu

Post by topsu »

very nice to see another tengu on the challenge! very nice details I think.
Zoraz

Post by Zoraz »

Well, never got an answer for my question a few pages back, so I'll post and hope for the best.
This is a representation of the musician Klaha, vocalist of the Japanese band Malice Mizer. The band is a style called Visual Kei, which is an underground sub culture in Japan. I have a half finished white final fold, but I won't be able to finish it in time for the challenge; the MC i ordered still hasn't come in, and I need it for shaping.

And a reference pic:
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

Thank you very much, Sunburst!

Kappa

It is swimming underwater, if you couldn't tell.

This was supposed to be a quick design, but it took me forever to get around to finishing it. Click on the photo to learn more. Unfortunately you can't see the head at all (especially that little circle thing).