Just an idea to help us improving our CP skills

Friendly design and folding competitions.
lionel

Just an idea to help us improving our CP skills

Post by lionel »

Hello,

I've been reading this forum for a couple of months now, and the community seems to be very active...

Here is an idea I'd like to discuss...

I do think that crease pattern is where we have the most interesting models in Origami, however, everyone who tried to fold one, knows how hard it is, especially for new folders.

Would it be a good idea to create a dedicated topic for CP(organized by level), choose one model (via polls) and work all together to crack it and fold the base ?
When most of us gets to the point where we have the initial base, we could try to draw diagrams and send them to the owner of the model... (same process Carlos Furuti with Noboru Miyajima's Bat)

Not sure though about copyrights and permissions, but certainly worth asking and trying

Honestly, I gave CP a try several times, but I have never been able to fold a single CP, but hey, that's part of the fun of Origami !

Happy folding,

lionel
Friet

Post by Friet »

I would be nice having some help with solving CP's, but I'm not so sure about the making diagrams part...
sabrigami

Post by sabrigami »

i like that idea too (I would love to do Kamiya's phoenix). the whole idea of crease patterns frustrates me but them's are the breaks these days. and making diagrams of them would be even better :) .also if you would like help drawing them I'd help without problem! I am excellent at drawing more so than origami. but I'm not very sucessful at figuring those things out :cry: but if you need them drawn I'll so try (I've got a lot of time on my hands too). but why would we send them to the creators?
Anyway we should try it maybe, I'd like a shot at actually folding one of those things.
dani luddington

Post by dani luddington »

i would like to try this also, one more avenue in origami for me to explore! what about trying a simple CP on the internet, and work on it right here together. i keep hearing the dobsonfly brought up as a beginner CP? wanna try that one? i believe it is Brian Chans model.
Wolf's CP instructions are great, would probably be good for us to have those to work from as we try to work a model out. what do you think? dani
sabrigami

Post by sabrigami »

Cool. but where can this cp be found? and what is it of? I might not be much help in figuring it out but it's nice to know there are others like me who want to help solve these together. I personally hope this can happen. but I hope we don't do too many bugs though. They seem to be every bodies faves. but not mine.[/i]
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Concerning Brian Chan's Dobsonfly you should check the following topic:
http://snkhan.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=667
thut

Post by thut »

i think this would be a great idea and suggest that we start with one of kamiya's cps from his webpage
sabrigami

Post by sabrigami »

Let's do the phoenix or the raptor! :D I never liked bugs.
dani luddington

Post by dani luddington »

well i guess the dobsonfly isnt going to work. im just not sure how we would do the phoenix or raptor since those are complex models? it's like starting with a hard CP when we dont know what we are doing, but hey have at it and good luck. i will try to follow along.
sabrigami

Post by sabrigami »

Well, I would like to try them eventually. I don't really know what I'm doing either. I just don't want to do the Dobsonfly, any other easy starters out there?
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

I would suggest some of the models by Komatsu.

I had my first crease pattern successes with his
Penguin and his Squirrel.

His mouse is also quite nice to fold. Check out the following thread concerning the mouse: http://snkhan.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=770
I already posted some hints about this CP there.

So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
sabrigami

Post by sabrigami »

Ohh, now that's more my tastes :D but where's the crease pattern for the squirel? and is there a better cp for the penguin or am I missing some thing? :?
Duck

Post by Duck »

Try scrolling to the right for the squirrel CP. :P
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

if you scroll down on the pages with the pictures there are the creasepatterns as well, unfortunately they are very, very small, but since they are easy creasepatterns they are enough to work with. I just inverted, scaled and printed the CPs for my first tries with it to figure out where all the landmarks are supposed to be.

also below the pictures there is a link which leads to more pictures of the finished model, which is very helpful in figuring out how to collapse and finish the model
thut

Post by thut »

I have recently folded hojyo takashi's icarus base from a crease pattern, but don't know what to do next, if anyone could help me with the shaping steps (maybe photos ect.). I would be most grateful.