Bumping topics?

Everything you need to know about the Origami Forum.
the modern einstein

Bumping topics?

Post by the modern einstein »

Not sure how to word this, but, what is the forum's position on bumping topics?
Last edited by the modern einstein on July 26th, 2012, 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
origami_8
Administrator

Re: Bumping topics?

Post by origami_8 »

If you want your topic bump write a content rich reply and it will be on top automatically. The Forum's position on bumping is, that we don't like bumping topics for no other reason than someone likes his own topic on top. I have to look into how to disable this feature.

Edit: Bumping shouldn't be possible any more.
Harpseal
Buddha

Post by Harpseal »

What's bumping? I've heard of it on other forums but i've no idea what it is. Does it involve moving topics? :?
'Death, taxes and teddy bears- three things you can always rely on'
-Garfield the Cat.
My Neorigami
[url=http://%20the-intelligence-division.bandcamp.com]My bandcamp page[/url]
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

It is a function that enables users to pin their topic to the top of the Forum Section the topic belongs to for a certain amount of time that can be set by the Administrator of the Forum. I wasn't aware that there is a function like this, that was enabled and set to 1 day. However it is disabled now and the related button should not be visible any more.
spiritofcat

Post by spiritofcat »

Oh, there's an actual built in function for it? I wasn't aware of that.
My understanding of bumping is simply the act of posting a comment on your own thread to bring it back to the top of the list of recently active threads on a forum.
Usually a bump post has little to no actual content, and if people are being blatant about it, it just contains the word "bump".
It's a practice that is generally frowned upon.
Harpseal
Buddha

Post by Harpseal »

Thanks for the description, that explains a lot, thanks! I can understand why it is frowned on- i can also see why no one, especially on this forum would actually need it. Thanks!
-Garfield the Cat.
My Neorigami
the modern einstein

origami_8 wrote:write a content rich reply
That's not within my capabilities. :)
origami_8 wrote:I wasn't aware that there is a function like this
I take it that my experiments with forum tools/this thread made you aware of that? :lol:
Note on first post: I wasn't serious about actually bumping, Just curious about if the mods knew about it. :oops:
Harpseal
Buddha

Post by Harpseal »

Bumping stops you needing to put as much content in topics that you want people to read, so bumping is generally used instead of interesting stuff. That's my top reason for not liking it (now i know what it is, i am constantly seeing it elsewhere)
My second is that it's selfish. Anyway, this forum doesn't support it!
-Garfield the Cat.
My Neorigami
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

the modern einstein wrote:I wasn't serious about actually bumping
How comes you did then :roll:

I've seen the topic before I checked the moderator control panel, so yes the topic made me aware of it. But, I would have noticed you bumping your topic because it shows up in the moderator control panel and I sure would have noticed and locked the function anyway. So it is nice you asked, but it didn't really make any difference.
the modern einstein

I didn't know what it was until a few days ago. I was playing around with the forum tools, and I was like, what's this? then I pressed the button, and I was thinking, "that's cool, I wonder if the moderators knew about it"
the modern einstein

Harpseal wrote:Bumping stops you needing to put as much content in topics that you want people to read, so bumping is generally used instead of interesting stuff. That's my top reason for not liking it (now i know what it is, i am constantly seeing it elsewhere)
My second is that it's selfish. Anyway, this forum doesn't support it!
There are some uses for it, for example, if nobody is answering your questions on a topic, and its plummeting towards the bottom of a page. Anyway, lay off me, I know you're having a go, and I'm getting fed up with people dissing me for just a small infraction. :cry: i.e, there's no need to push the point. I get it.
Harpseal
Buddha

Post by Harpseal »

I'm not trying to be mean, i'm glad it's stopped on this forum and i wish it'd stop on other forums. I've stated my reasons for why i think this. :( #-o
-Garfield the Cat.
My Neorigami
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

the modern einstein, you don't need to be sad. Nothing severe happened. I can understand you've been curious what functions the forum provides and trying them out is the most natural thing to find out. After you found out you did the best thing you could, you asked whether you're allowed to use it. No harm done, you see?
Now lets all be happy again :-)
the modern einstein

Thanks. No lasting harm.
Harpseal
Buddha

Post by Harpseal »

I like experimenting. I've never done it on forums unless i'm posting. Normally i only experiment on scratch though because it has the [scratchblocks] function and designated places to experiment with it. When i was a newbie though, i used to experiment like mad with all the smilies. It was the first time i'd used a forum. :lol:
-Garfield the Cat.
My Neorigami