Book Review Section?

Everything you need to know about the Origami Forum.
merman

Book Review Section?

Post by merman »

Would it be a good idea to start a new section on these forums about book reviews? So what models are in a book? Are they any good? Is the book any good, etc

Now I use the general Origami section...
Ragnorax

Post by Ragnorax »

Well if you want book reviews, Gilad's page is the place to go, and im sure most of the people on this forum also use it, seeing as it has a review, list of models, and pictures for most of the models.

http://www.giladorigami.com/Books_default.html
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

better than an own section would be a clever way to title the thread. topic names like "Dinosaur Origami" doesn't lead you to the idea that there could be a book review inside. a better name would have been "Book Review: John Montroll - Dinosaur Origami". keeping that format would make a search for book reviews easier in the future.
regarding to the question: I'm completely against an own section that would probably only contain a couple of topics.
merman

Post by merman »

well I still think it is a good idea... better than Gilad, where you don't have the option to respond to a review

It is especially a good idea for all those Japanese books where you are not sure what to expect
InsomniacFolder

Post by InsomniacFolder »

I vote for Gilad.

One of the (many) great things about Gilads site is that it is the consistent & uncluttered opinion of one person.

Whether or not you agree with some of the reviews, you know you can trust them to be honest, unbiased evaluations with a broad range of titles for comparison.
"Had we but world enough and time..."
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

You can always add book reviews to the Origami Database:
http://origamidatabase.com/
joshuaorigami
Buddha

Post by joshuaorigami »

i think it would be pretty cool to do a section on this forum of book reviews :)
Ondrej.Cibulka
Buddha

Post by Ondrej.Cibulka »

Gilad's page is absolutely excellent with its integration and comprehension and it is duty of every origamist to know it and list inside.

But just Gilad deside what pictures will add there and there is no space for discussion. So, I agree with opening such discussion and posting another pictures. It is quite different from Gilad's encyclopedia.
Ondrej Cibulka Origami, www.origamido.cz
endreon

Post by endreon »

I think it would be good to have a book review section, because it offers multiple opinions and I've seen some posts that eventually have something to do with an opinion on a book.
gailprentice

Post by gailprentice »

origami_8 wrote:You can always add book reviews to the Origami Database:
http://origamidatabase.com/
I would like to second this suggestion...the format is similar to Gilad's reviews. Gilad's reviews are great and I've looked through them countless times (thank you, Gilad!) so The Origami Database is really a huge addition to what you get with Gilad's pages. And would be even bigger & more valuable if more people would add to it. You can add a book, website, model photo, review, etc.

It is easy to add model photos to the Origami Database. The only "tricky" thing is that they have to be under a certain size...just like posting here: if the photos are too large, they are not easy to view. The easiest way for me to upload is to add photos to my flickr photostream. Then on each photo, I "View All Sizes" and choose the small size (it is supposed to be less than 600 pixels wide, so small or medium is usually best, although medium is sometimes just too large, even when less than 600). I download that size to my computer and then upload that to The Database.

So, if you have time, please consider adding a review and/or photos. I love looking at all of your photos on flickr and to have them added to The Origami Database would be another great way to look at them and see them organized by book, creator, category, etc.

All that said, in addition to The Origami Database reviews, I would like to read book threads on the forum.
OrigamiasaEnthusiast

Re: Book Review Section?

Post by OrigamiasaEnthusiast »

Good idea, but I think a lot of people don't understand the work it takes mods to keep this site up and running, spam-free, clean, etc. They have personal lives beside this forum. It takes work to update a site. Good idea nonwithstanding.
"Ethics are annoying, I avoid them on principle."-B. Katt
Can't delete account, so I'll open up a new one indefinitely in the future.