How to insert pictures

Everything you need to know about the Origami Forum.
origami_8
Administrator

How to insert pictures

Post by origami_8 »

Because this question is asked so often I open up an own topic for it.

To insert a picture to a posting, you first need to upload it somewhere. This can be a private webspace or some Image Hoster. A good place to upload images is for example ImageShack, it is free and self explanatory. Another place is like Wolf said Flickr. After you´ll have uploaded your picture using ImageShack copy and paste the "Hotlink for Forums" onto your posting.

If you have uploaded your picture elsewhere insert the URL to your post highlight it and click on "IMG" or write [img]insert%20your%20URL%20and%20close%20with%20writing[/img].
To show videos you can upload them using YouTube.

Hope that helps.
Last edited by origami_8 on August 16th, 2007, 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
saj

Post by saj »

Following fom Anna's notes above, the recommended method of linking/citing images in a post are to ensure that the photos are uploaded to a stable site, such as Flickr, Picasa or your personal web space.

Although images can be hosted at ImageShack or similar online hosts, they do not always guarantee a 'permanent' hosting service, and thus may be deleted periodically.

As the intention of the forum is to provide a fully archivable facility, we'd appreciate if you could keep the above in mind when posting images on the forum.

Thanks,

Saj
If you've found the forum useful, please consider making a donation.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

I disagree with the statement that ImageShack isn't secure. Even the first pictures I ever uploaded there are still reachable and thats over a year ago. No internet service guarantees 100 percent securness, but I think to upload the pictures to ImageShack is a good choice.
Last edited by origami_8 on August 16th, 2007, 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
helliluya

Post by helliluya »

I personally Suggest that you can add a link to your enlarged image using URL tag , so if anyone is interested to the work , they can easily click on the image and get an enlarged photo.

Usage :

Code: Select all

[URL=http://your.enlarged.photo][img]your_thumbnail_or_smaller_photo.jpg[/img][/URL]
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Personally I prefer seeing the pictures on the Forum in a size that fits good on the screen like 640x480 or a little bit smaller. Larger pictures are a pain, because on small desktops the Forum screen becomes wider than visible and you have to scroll left and right all the time to read the text.
I don´t like thumbnail pictures because it´s really odd to open all the pictures you want in an extra tab or window and I often don´t do so in spite of the fact that I would like to see the picture because I simply get tired of clicking on all of them.
Last edited by origami_8 on August 16th, 2007, 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

most people forget, that not all of us have a broadband internet connection. I assume, no I'm pretty sure that the majority of our members "only" using slow modems. some of our new members opened picture threads that are way too overloaded with too big pictures. It can become a pain in your neck if you have to wait too long the get to the last entry (also depending on your computer, operatin system and the browser you're using), because there are too many pictures to load first. so I would always suggest to use thumbnails when showing multiple pictures. a single picture is quickly loaded, but there is surely a big difference between loading 10 pictures with 10kb size than loading them when they have 400kb each.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

You can always go down with the filesize and I would highly recommend that to anyone before uploading a picture because it´s not only more comfortable for the viewers but also easier- because quicker- to upload.
A very useful tool for this purpose is for example the picture resizer for Windows XP. A very small and powerful tool that allows you to resize as many pictures as you want at the same time, just by a click on your right mouse button.
In addition, or if you use another system than WinXP, IrfanView is a good tool to optimize your pictures (cut off useless suroundings, resize the picture, ...).
Anyways, you don´t need the highest solution for your pictures and it´s far more comfortable if you go down with the filesize and look that your picture fits on every screen than inserting thumbnails leading to pictures that last an hour to load even with broadband.
Last edited by origami_8 on August 16th, 2007, 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
origami93

Post by origami93 »

when you say highlight "it" do you mean the picture or the "url"? i am trying to upload a pic. from yahoo photos and it isn't working. can you please give an example of what you would type if you were going to upload a picture? (i am writing to origami_8, by the way.)
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

If you want to upload a picture to be displayed on the Forum, Yahoo is a bad choice because they do not allow direct linking. If I speak of it, I definitely mean the url like

Code: Select all

[img]http://www.imageshack.us/yourpic.jpg[/img]
The only way to display a picture from your Yahoo-Photogallery would be to link to the albumpage itself, but not to the picture, but in that case, the picture wouldn´t be displayed on your post.
Good and free image hosters are mentioned in the above posts.

Oh, and by the way, I think there are others on this Forum who could answer this question as good as I can if not even better.
origami93

Post by origami93 »

thank you for the tip, and what i meant was that i was reffering to YOUR post. i think it would have been a lot easier if i would have quoted you.
Taulmarill

Post by Taulmarill »

I can also recommend deviantART, which is a generic art community. you can upload your images and they will host them for you. The category for origami would be under Categories->Artisan Crafts->Origami.
xaoslord

Post by xaoslord »

Are there any file hosting sites that will host a PDF file? I created my first diagram and was trying to find a site to host it.
Thanks!
-Ray My Flickr Album
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers." -Elric
HankSimon
Buddha

Posting PDF

Post by HankSimon »

It is possible to post indiviual PDF pages to Flickr and many of the photo sites. I don't know the process.

Also, a few people in the Origami community have areas on their Web sites where they post a few diagrams from other designers.

Finally, if you really get stuck, I can set up a temporary site for you and post the PDF, but my service may not be reliable. (Having said that, some of my Web sites have been up for eleven years in one form or another. :-)

- Hank Simon
Alissia

test

Post by Alissia »

Alissia

Re: test

Post by Alissia »

If you have uploaded your picture elsewhere insert the URL to your post highlight it and click on "IMG" or write [img]insert%20your%20URL%20and%20close%20with%20writing[/img].

[img]http://forum.portal.edu.ro/index.php?ac ... &id=931843[/img]