New layout

Everything you need to know about the Origami Forum.
Trouble
Forum Sensei

New layout

Post by Trouble »

i was wondering what happened i liked to old red one
Daydreamer

Re: new layout

Post by Daydreamer »

The Forum has been updated from phpBB2 to phpBB3 for security reason, which was a long needed change, because phpBB2 was no longer supported.
Especially with the problems we had with spammers recently, we decided to take this step better now than later. We are still working on fixing all the important things :)
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
snkhan
Administrator

Post by snkhan »

Hi Sebastian,

Support for the previous version of our board software ceased as far back as January 2009, and the upgrade to phpBB3 was desperately needed.

Unfortunately quite a few things have changed in the new version (we're still getting to grips with it), but all in all, the changes are largely positive. The new update mechanism also means that it is unlikely that I will be installing new themes; they are quite difficult to manage. I'm hoping your current theme will grow on you...

Saj
If you've found the forum useful, please consider making a donation.
Trouble
Forum Sensei

Post by Trouble »

when you say new themes do you mean you might find a way to make it look the same as it was or not??
by the way where it used to have the crane and say origami form and there was a picture link to the index in the top right corner there is still a box to press on but no picture
jadylyon

Post by jadylyon »

*misses old theme too, with the little butterflies and things*

Upgrade: good
New look: gosh... i guess we could... feng shui the place?

*mourns*
The Average Folder

Re: New layout

Post by The Average Folder »

AHHH! The forum changed! I am ok with the style, but I liked my old theme a lot better. I know its really hard, and the update has happened only today, but I would appreciate it if somewhere in the future the themes could be replaced. I know I'm asking a lot here, but can someone give me (and others) an overview of what has changed. Also, what has happened to the profile button. Also, what happened to the stars? Those were something I was rather fond of... :( . I'm sorry I'm beeing a pest. Get it? beeing a pest? Cause its a bee, and a bee is a pest, and bee is a homophone to be. haha that was extremely unfunny, and the explanation made it even more so. :)

I love corny jokes :)
Folding is everything, and everything is folding
My Flickr- http://www.flickr.com/photos/58368473@N06/
-Mike
cjbnc

Post by cjbnc »

Looks like the hostname in the URL changed as well. That's what scared me about the new site - not knowing who I was about to give my password out to. Found and read this thread before I logged in.
orislater
Buddha

Post by orislater »

could you atleast give us an option just to change the color of this wimpy baby blue? im used to the red and black one and this one is getting irritating :evil:
my flickr tissue foil is for noobs! mc FTW!!!!
Pop pop

Post by Pop pop »

i just notice it when i just got on and when you reply its different to
My youtube account please check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/user/thefolder1? ... sults_main
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

An explanation of the most important things like inserting videos, going to your mailbox and so on will follow. But right now I don't have enough time to write it.
The Forum update was long overdue and I'm really happy Saj took the time and made it happen. It sure was a lot of work. We had some severe security issues as of lately and it was impossible to handle them with the old software.
There are some things we all will have get used to, be it the colour scheme or that the user information is now displayed on the right site. But all in all the new software brings a lot more usability than the old one had and it was a really important step to go.

Thanks a lot Saj!
snkhan
Administrator

Post by snkhan »

The Average Folder wrote:Also, what has happened to the profile button. Also, what happened to the stars? Those were something I was rather fond of...
Hello. You can obtain profile information for a user by clicking on their name or their avatar. To make changes to your own profile, click on the 'User Control Panel' link which appears on the top of each page.
Also, what happened to the stars?
They didn't quite work visually with the new theme. I'm looking for some refreshed versions and will be adding them back very soon.
could you atleast give us an option just to change the color of this wimpy baby blue?
The colour of the theme is set by the creator, and cannot be changed by users. The difference between this software version and the previous one was that in phpBB2, themes were easily installable, and did not require a huge deal of updating or editing. It's also important to note that phpBB2 themes are not compatible with phpBB3 themes (what we are running now). phpBB3 does have several themes available, however the update process is particularly convoluted. and would be required everytime the forum was updated :(

At the minute Anna, Gerwin and I are still making some changes to the board. I'm sure that once you start using the new software, you will begin to love it.
Thanks a lot Saj!
No need to thank me, the update was desperately overdue!
Iwvi

Post by Iwvi »

I was surprised by the new layout :shock:
Im glad the forum updated, i never noticed it did not have a report button until i saw some spam post and looked for it, good thing now we have one easily accesible. But the new theme... i miss the crane... *sigh*
Trakthor

Post by Trakthor »

Hi,

I survived lot's of this upgrades on different forums and trust me, it was allways better for administration with new version. Also users get used to it quite easy. I did some theme changing things in my past upgrading theme from phpbb2 to phpbb3. But it's a very long process. I might give it a try but I don't have much time right now so I don't know when it will be done. Also I need to know which theme did we use before. Please give me a name and link to it if possible. I don't swear that I can do it but it's worth a shot.
Also if there's a more skilled guru who can do this without blinking an eye then please do it ;) Old theme was perfect ;)

EDIT: ok so after I talked to my friends who did some own themes, it's better to ask author to upgrade it because of permissions and also a hell lot of a work. It means a complete rewriten of code for theme and I'm sorry but I don't have a time anymore to do this.
Last edited by Trakthor on March 18th, 2011, 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
snkhan
Administrator

Post by snkhan »

I'm hoping to commission a new header image (similar to the crane) soon. At the moment our priority is to make sure the forum is working correctly. It's a drastic change compared to the previous version.

If you haven't already, be sure to check out your User Control Panel which contains lots of new changes.

Saj
anonymous person

Post by anonymous person »

The new forum does resemble the French one quite a lot now.