Starches:rice, tapioca, corn, wheat and other starches.

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.

Starches:rice, tapioca, corn, wheat and other starches.

Postby Origami_Hunt » March 23rd, 2019, 10:54 am

Hi all,

I wonder whether you have used starches to treat paper in the same way you do with methylcellulose.
I am trying potato mash (from the supermarket, with no extra ingredients), tapioca, corn starch, wheat flour, rice flour, tragacanth and gelatine. Have you tried any other agent (apart from PVA, MC or CMC)?

I am trying these to make double tissue, but I have already tried this making tissue-foil-tissue and they seem to work well (apart from tragacanth). I have not tried gelatine yet. With regards to double tissue:

- Potato starch has produced a very crisp paper that is a pleasure to fold. However, it tends to split. It probably needs to be mixed with something else to avoid the problem, perhaps PVA.
- Tragacanth produces a nice clear gel, but it did not produce a usable paper afterwards. I am not sure that I used it correctly.
- I have not used the other sizing agents to fold models yet.
Last edited by Origami_Hunt on June 2nd, 2019, 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Origami_Hunt

Re: Starches:rice, tapioca, corn, wheat and other starches.

Postby bethnor » March 25th, 2019, 7:41 am

without having definite experience in the matter, i think the main problem with using those starches would be half-life. the other issue would be attracting insects.
bethnor
Buddha

Postby Origami_Hunt » March 25th, 2019, 10:42 pm

Actually, most people would say that starches would attract bugs, moulds, etc., but I have not seen anybody saying that they have this problem; in fact, I think Yoshizawa used starches for some of his models. Also, I guess you can prevent the problem by mixing it with some acrylic paint. The problem with bugs is most likely important for long term projects (historical documents).
Last edited by Origami_Hunt on June 2nd, 2019, 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Origami_Hunt

Postby Origami_Hunt » May 19th, 2019, 10:52 am

Update:

Potato starch + PVA (water:PVA 50:50) produces a strong due tissue paper.

Potato starch on its own produces nice and crispy double tissue papers, but it tends to rip.
PVA on it own produces very thin papers suitable to fold insects but is not as crisp.
The combination of PVA and potato starch overcomes both problems. As a plus, the resulting paper is translucid.

Update:

The paper is nice, but it becomes less crisp when the ambient is humid. Perhaps a bit more PVA could improve it.
Last edited by Origami_Hunt on June 26th, 2019, 4:46 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Origami_Hunt

Postby Origami_Hunt » May 22nd, 2019, 9:25 pm

Update 2:

Corn starch and PVA produces an even stronger papers.
You can reverse folds easily without the paper splitting.
Suitable for models with few layers, although using large sheets should help.
Perhaps diluting the corn starch would produce paper suitable for insect models.
Last edited by Origami_Hunt on July 27th, 2019, 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Origami_Hunt

Postby Origami_Hunt » June 1st, 2019, 1:04 pm

Update 3:

Wheat flour: 2-3 tablespoons
Water: 1 pint.
Boil it
Apply it once cold.

Produces thin double -tissue papers suitable to fold insects.
Add more flour to fold models with curves (elephants, hippos, etc.).
Last edited by Origami_Hunt on June 2nd, 2019, 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Origami_Hunt

Postby Baltorigamist » June 1st, 2019, 2:08 pm

Good to know. I look forward to trying that last combination when I get the chance.

By the way, please watch the double-posting. I believe you can edit a post indefinitely many times. Just letting you know. :)
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
Baltorigamist

Postby Origami_Hunt » June 2nd, 2019, 9:37 am

Apologies. Is the number of self-replies limited? Would it be better to keep editing a single post, as suggested?
Origami_Hunt

Postby Baltorigamist » June 3rd, 2019, 1:57 am

It’s not a big deal, but I generally prefer to edit the most recent post in a thread if no one else has replied.

So, just to clarify, the starch and water are used without any other bonding substances?
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
Baltorigamist

Postby Origami_Hunt » June 11th, 2019, 7:36 pm

For the case of wheat flour, no other agent is necessary. Probably the same applies to corn starch.
For potato starch, a bit of PVA keeps the paper from splitting. Same for tapioca starch.
Origami_Hunt

Postby Gerardo » July 5th, 2019, 4:31 pm

Thank you for sharing Origami_Hunt. It would also be interesting to see long term effects of the starches on the paper. Something might happen to the folds in a number of years.
Please support Neorigami: http://neorigami.com. Share one of your own creations.
Gerardo
Buddha

Return to Paper