Tissue foil help needed

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.

Tissue foil help needed

Postby Thomas kappa » March 17th, 2020, 1:35 am

I have been trying to make tissue foil with MC, but the paper gets all soapy and a big amount of ink is lost,so I would like to know what is the best way of making it.
Also, when I was younger I tried to make duo tissue foil, but the colors got(obviously) mixed up. Is it necessary to always put aluminum in between, or is there another way? I’m still a bit confused about what is tissue foil, what is sandwich paper,... :?
Thanks in advance
Thomas kappa

Re: Tissue foil help needed

Postby origami_8 » March 17th, 2020, 9:42 am

Sara Adams made two very good videos explaining the best way to make Tissue Foil and Double Tissue (without foil).

origami_8
Administrator

Postby Thomas kappa » March 17th, 2020, 11:53 am

Thank you, although I am wondering if adhesive spray would work too
Thomas kappa

Postby origami_8 » March 17th, 2020, 10:48 pm

Yes, it does, but the paper then has different properties to the one made with liquid glue.
If you make tissue foil with spray glue, the properties of the foil are more prominent. Making it hard to reverse creases. On tissue paper made with white glue the paper properties are more prominent, for that reason I like this paper better.
If you use methylcellulose (MC) to make double tissue, the result feels like one crsip sheet of paper. The paper bonds together so good that you don't feel that it has been two sheets of paper before. If you use bleeding tissue though, you will have a pretty hard time getting duo-coloured paper. That's no problem if you use non-bleeding tissue paper or spray glue. With spray glue however the result will feel like two sheets of paper glued together. It will be rather soft and don't take creases as good as if you use MC.
Even though I prefer the papers that are shown in the videos, there is no right or wrong in Origami. Spray glue does have advantages, as you can also use it on bleeding or textured paper without loosing colour or texture. What works best for you, you have to decide for yourself. There are also people who use glue sticks to stick their paper together, fast and dirty with the risk of ripping your paper if you aren't careful enough, but it works. I've also heard of people using a special glue that sticks when you iron the paper, also interesting and worth a try.
In the end you will have to try for yourself what you like best. But my advice is to give the techniques in the videos a try, they are well-tried and result in very good folding papers. But also experiment, maybe you find something that works better for you.
origami_8
Administrator

Postby Origami_Hunt » March 22nd, 2020, 12:11 am

Hi Thomas,

If your problem is that the paper is too soggy, you may need to use a more concentrated MC solution.
If your problem is that you want to make double tissue with two colours, you need to use foil or to buy non-bleed tissue paper. I have not used the later yet, but you can buy it from Amazon; just search for "non bleed tissue paper".
Origami_Hunt

Return to Paper