Methylcellulose alternatives - cheap sizing agents

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
Origami_Hunt

Rice flour - Noboru Miyajima's bat

Post by Origami_Hunt »

I folded Noboru Mijayima's bat using bleeding double tissue paper treated with rice paste:

Origami_Hunt

PVA revisited

Post by Origami_Hunt »

My initial experience with PVA was poor. The paper was strong, but it had a plastic character that made the folds unfold. Since then, I have realized that diluting PVA eliminates the problem. The dilution depends on the brand of PVA and the requirements of the model you want to fold. This is also the case with all sizing agents, including methylcellulose.

I have folded a simplified version of Sipho Mabona's elephant using diluted PVA and white double-tissue (30 cm) colored yellow with turmeric from the supermarket:

Conclusion: PVA is useful if you dilute it enough.

Index of sizing agents
Origami_Hunt

Carboxymethylcellulose

Post by Origami_Hunt »

Carboxymethylcellulose (CMC) is similar to methylcellulose (MC). Both are derived from cellulose. This is some advice if you want to use it:

CMC is used in the food and pharmaceutical industries. As a food additive, it goes by the name, among others, of Tylose powder. You can find it in Amazon. It costs £6 per 100 g. MC costs around £7 per 100 grams. Most of the other sizing agents here are way cheaper. You can also find it in craft stores too, for example, in Thailand in Multifilla.

How to dissolve CMC in water

The solid should be added to the water and not the other way around; adding water to the solid forms clumps that are difficult to dissolve. The CMC powder should be well dispersed in water, preferably not adding all in one go. Stir gently or shake intermittently; do not stir constantly. High heat is not needed and may actually slow down the solubilization process."

Facts to keep in mind

The solubility depends on the type of CMC but generally is about 10 g per liter.
The presence of calcium in water decreases solubility in water, so if you live in an area where the water contains a lot it, would be better of using bottle water.
CMC is probably more sensitive than MC to humidity.

List of sizing agents