Thin Duo Colour Paper

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
rkj00

Thin Duo Colour Paper

Post by rkj00 »

Hey there,
I was wondering how to make thin Duo Colour paper, especially those with a sharp colour change like black and white for example. My experiences so far are white tissue-foil-black tissue, but the problem is that it always has this shininess of the foil in between. I also tried without the foil but with two or even three layers of the lighter tissues, but then it becomes to thick to fold the most complex models. Is there any trick I don't know? I'm for example which paper Bodo Haag used for his stunning zebra model? Maybe the trick is just to use very large paper, then the thickness is not so important of course. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
origami_8
Administrator

Re: Thin Duo Colour Paper

Post by origami_8 »

Airbrushing the lighter side with opaque colours works but needs special equipment...and if you are already at it you can airbrush both sides as well to get ultra thin duo-colour paper.
rkj00

Post by rkj00 »

Thank you, that sounds interesting! I'm a bit worried though about the foldability since dye is not the best folding material...
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

You really only need a very thin coating. The airbrush makes it possible to work with tiny amounts of colour and still get amazing results. Airbrush colours are pretty expensive though, but you like I said, you only need a tiny amount. I've worked with them on ultra thin almost translucent rice paper and it folded like a dream. I wouldn't go with single tissue paper as tissue paper has pretty short fibres and on its own breaks easily, but on paper with better folding properties like the ultra thin rice paper I worked with, it makes a wonderful duo coloured paper for complex Origami models. It is one of my favourite Origami papers so far and I tried quite a lot.
rkj00

Post by rkj00 »

Thanks for your input. I will try it as soon as I have time and then I post my experiences here ;)