Paper - Preferred folding material

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.

What material do you prefer to fold with?

kami
19%
foil (tissue/American/Japanese)
41%
heavy paper, wet folded
6%
normal copy paper
25%
other (plastic, metal, flour tortillas)
10%

Total votes: 574

malachi

Re: Paper - Preferred folding material

Post by malachi »

To elaborate, MC is usually used to either backcoat two thin papers (i.e. glue them together so they become one sheet) or to resize thin paper or paper that does not hold a crease well. Often the resulting paper is wet folded, although not always.

For tissue foil, people often use white glue, as you have done, or spray adhesive. I personally have only used spray adhesive, so I can't compare the two.

about backcoating and resizing:
http://www.metteunits.com/Backcoat.htm
http://www.langorigami.com/info/paper/w ... apers.php4

about tissue foil with spray adhesive:
http://www.langorigami.com/info/paper/m ... apers.php4

Much like Mr. Lang, I have personally grown away from tissue foil due to it's shortcoming for the types of origami I favor, although I still use it from time to time.
Axel´s Origami

Post by Axel´s Origami »

Lokta hardened with PVA. Awesome.
Pop pop

Post by Pop pop »

i found website that yoou can make your own paper
http://green.yahoo.com/blog/daily_green ... trash.html
My youtube account please check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/user/thefolder1? ... sults_main
Offerd15

Post by Offerd15 »

Looks like a majority of people prefer tissue foil! We have a website called http://www.tissuefoil.com. We have plans to expand every month with new colors and sizes and would love to hear everyone's feedback. We have sizes all the way up to 35cm currently! All the paper is double sided and shipping is flat rate. Please tell us what you like, don't like, want more of, etc. Thanks guys!
Fluffy
Forum Sensei

Post by Fluffy »

Offerd15 wrote:Looks like a majority of people prefer tissue foil! We have a website called http://www.tissuefoil.com. We have plans to expand every month with new colors and sizes and would love to hear everyone's feedback. We have sizes all the way up to 35cm currently! All the paper is double sided and shipping is flat rate. Please tell us what you like, don't like, want more of, etc. Thanks guys!
Sorry but your 35cm is way too overpriced.
My flickr page ~ http://www.flickr.com/photos/jakeorigami/
My gallery ~ http://snkhan.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11485
Feel free to leave comments or constructive critisicm. Thanks! :)
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

I would be interested in buying TF, but not at $9 a sheet for 35 cm!! That is completely insane! #-o

Some advise, take it or leave it:
  • Offer sample packets like the Origami Shop does.
  • Properly advertise your paper. Make it sound awesome!
  • Offer reasonably priced packets that are cheap enough to tempt those that could just make it themselves, but priced high enough that you will make a profit.
    Your current price point does not accomplish this.
  • Make your website look pretty. Put more effort into it. If you put as much effort in your TF as you do your storefront, I do not want your paper.
  • You are unknown as an origami vendor. You have to earn our interest and trust. Try promotional items and perhaps give away samples at conventions.
Sroge4

Post by Sroge4 »

I agree with David. Your paper is the same price as Origamido
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

I think that if you would post some models folded with your paper, it might be more attractive. If your site doesn't get the traffic desired, then you might contact some well-known folders privately, and ask them to test free samples of your paper in exchange for pictures and reviews.
Offerd15

Post by Offerd15 »

I'm sorry if I have offended anyone. I wasn't trying to step on anyone's toes. I have been posting in the new website section and asking about set sizes and prices but haven't received any replies. We are not trying to compete with Origamido, I do apologize that the 35cm squares are so expensive and we will be adjusting the prices. We would very much appreciate if we could have some feedback as far as prices and how many squares per set you would like. The website has only been up for a month and the larger squares were just added this week.

As far as the website, we are trying to keep it simple and clean. The website is coded very well and I take great pride in the code. However, I am not a graphic designer. The website will definitely change and grow with time. Please know that a great amount of effort is put into the website to have an error free experience. The Tissue Foil is made the same way, every effort is made to create wrinkle free, high quality paper.

Thank you HankSimon for the advice as well. We will most definitely be sending out test sheets and uploading pictures of models.
Menschenfeind

Post by Menschenfeind »

The only papers I use are: Normal copy paper and a really thin paper I found and it's relatively good for complex models.
By the way, anyone in here has made paper by their own? I've been thinking on doing it.
godnomis

Post by godnomis »

hey , can i get in on this, this is how i see paper.
i have spent 80$ on 1 sheet of b4 or b2 handmake local paper, i dont recomend it lol. but it was very good.

choice is , gloss , no gloss , handmake ( long fiber cloth like) or foil backed or that stuff that reminds me of plastic they use for wedding invites with a print, or embossed., western paper or eastern paper is the same now days.
depends on what print you want , for the model you fold. i dont like thin gloss square, thats common.
nothing imo beats brenex paper, from Germany, for general folding, its about 60-70 gsm, not 80gsm like copy paper that opens slowly with time, i havent used it for years thou, may of changed, but i wouldnt think so, if you want good copy paper then get , optix paper, just hold it in your hands, makes reflex look mega cheap, cost alot thou. if you want to go cheap, get a roll of wrapping paper, get a cheap ream of copy paper for $5 500 sheets i eat one a week, when i started , or buy a sheet of wrapping paper that has no folds. just goto every stationary shop, you can find, do not enter a calligraphy shop, they charge you a arm and a leg. i even use over head projecter sheet of 100 gsm plastic, that is hard too fold. mostly for modular origami.
i also like wallpaper, for wet folding, but its also think, so like make a bowl or some thing , or a mask.
any thing but , cardboard. if you love origami, why spend hours making some thing , if you dont have a good paper, practice with copy , then make a good one with a high quality one.
its only money , good paper is more important than money.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity."
Hellome360

Post by Hellome360 »

Unryu, single or double with mc. cant get enough of the stuff.
[PHOENIX]

Post by [PHOENIX] »

depends on what I'm making... when I am designing my own models I would normally use foil because it is easy to shape.
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

tracing paper.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
Argonaut

Post by Argonaut »

I initially voted for copy paper, but since I have discovered the value of tissue foil. I wish I could change my vote.
Eat. Sleep. Fold Paper.