Paper - Preferred folding material

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.

What material do you prefer to fold with?

kami
19%
foil (tissue/American/Japanese)
41%
heavy paper, wet folded
6%
normal copy paper
25%
other (plastic, metal, flour tortillas)
10%

Total votes: 574

Axel´s Origami

Re: Paper - Preferred folding material

Post by Axel´s Origami »

I find that there ren't enough options to vote for :(
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

well, that topic is more than 8 years old... probably too late to ask for another option :D
loganorigami

Post by loganorigami »

my fav is tissue foil for complex models but i usualy just use kami
"the first step towards failure is trying"

my flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/65884349@N03/
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

tissue foil sucks for complex models
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
Axel´s Origami

Post by Axel´s Origami »

phillipcurl wrote:tissue foil sucks for complex models
Not always, It's awesome if you don't have mc or similar.
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

good point. I just hate how when I make it its always wrinkly and i can't reverse folds. i should have said that it sucks for complex cp's and models in general if you don't have MC which i have yet to get ahold of...
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

I used tissue foil for nearly all complex models, from insects up to the ancient dragon. reverse folds are pretty easy to handle if you are used to that paper.
I don't like MC paper. in my opinion its one of the most overrated papers of the last years. I tried it a couple of times but didn't use it for years... I just don't like it. it would be nice for test folding but kraftpaper is way better for test folding.
Bass

Post by Bass »

I've grown an affinity for Wausau brand paper. The 24lb. and 20lb. mixtures are great for teaching in that it's a stronger-than-normal copy paper, and it comes in some vibrant colors.
Mokumegane

Post by Mokumegane »

I will use anything I have or can get and that works. I've literally used wax paper and aluminum foil from the kitchen, as well. Yes, I've also used foil paper and such. I'm currently going to get my Calligraphy rice paper out to fold the Dennis Walker snowflake. Lol, I've cut up post-it notes to one-inch square size and made the magic rose cube. With post-it notes and the magic rose cube, you really want to cut off the sticky part or figure out how to fold it so it doesn't affect at after it's made.
the modern einstein

Post by the modern einstein »

My most used paper is copy paper - pretty much cause I don't have anything else to fold with. I sometimes use kozo, if you look at my gallery you can see a few examples. other than that, I have several different types of unknown papers - more like cloth than anything else, and some cheap washi. i am currently planning for some origamido, or canson foundation series 25gsm.
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

that canson foundation series is beast. i have heard strathmore is better, but i don't know. if you look at my flickr most of my models turned out pretty good with just tracing paper, some with wet finish.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
yogigami

Post by yogigami »

Hi There,

This is a plea for help after much fruitless internet searching- I'm not new to origami as such but this is the first time I have gone to by proper paper. I need to buy it in quite large quantities for a project I am working on I know what I need and have searched the internet but cannot seem to find what I am looking for so have come to the conclusion that I must be looking for the wrong thing! Any help, tips, suggestions or website addresses very welcome. UK based or able to ship quickly to the UK would be best.

I need double sided pink paper and double sided green paper 3"x3" around 200 or each. I would settle for just solid colour paper but in my mind I'd like textured paper that looks almost like fabric or like recycled paper with a subtle sort of woodchip effect- hopefully this is clear enough for someone to help me :)

Thanks in advance and hope you're all having a great day,

Yogigami
jewishdan18

Post by jewishdan18 »

yogigami wrote:Hi There,

This is a plea for help after much fruitless internet searching- I'm not new to origami as such but this is the first time I have gone to by proper paper. I need to buy it in quite large quantities for a project I am working on I know what I need and have searched the internet but cannot seem to find what I am looking for so have come to the conclusion that I must be looking for the wrong thing! Any help, tips, suggestions or website addresses very welcome. UK based or able to ship quickly to the UK would be best.

I need double sided pink paper and double sided green paper 3"x3" around 200 or each. I would settle for just solid colour paper but in my mind I'd like textured paper that looks almost like fabric or like recycled paper with a subtle sort of woodchip effect- hopefully this is clear enough for someone to help me :)

Thanks in advance and hope you're all having a great day,

Yogigami
Tissue foil would get that effect and be double sided. I've made a tracing paper sandwich (tissue paper on each side of tracing paper) that has a texture very similar to what you've described. The problem is, you'd have to make the paper yourself.
yogigami

Post by yogigami »

What kind of paper is this please?

http://www.magicmonkeys.co.uk/games/fil ... miyoda.jpg

Yogigami
malachi

Post by malachi »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/phillipwest/505158448/

"Lokta sandpaper paper back coated to tissue paper."

I would guess that "tissue" in this context is mulberry tissue and that "sandpaper" probably refers to the color of the lokta.

I would also go out on a limb and say that magicmonkeys.co.uk misappropriated this photo as they do not seem to include the required creative commons attribution requested by the photographer. But that is a different issue altogether.

http://www.magicmonkeys.co.uk/content/8 ... -yoda.html

I just happened to recognize this photo, but sometimes http://www.tineye.com/ can be used to track down pictures. However, this one has made the rounds several times, which makes it a little more difficult to use that tool.