tissue paper emergency

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
shangoob

tissue paper emergency

Post by shangoob »

hello there ...
As I have seen no tissue paper in real life -in my life- I know nothing about it!
I have been searching for a long period for this paper by its name "tissue paper" but found nothing, i noticed by seeing it online that it is very thin and crisp, so i started searching for any paper that was thin, soft, and crisp.. and surprisingly I found -in one shop only- a paper that is called kite paper..... is it a tissue paper??
any help that can make me differenciate tissue paper from any other paper please?

If it was a tissue paper can i glue them using spray glue or all purpose whilte glue? "didnt find MC in stores here ](*,)"
bethnor
Buddha

Re: tissue paper emergency

Post by bethnor »

i notice there's a burst of new posters. here's a gentle reminder to please read forum rules and learn to use the search function.

kite paper has been discussed before. it is not tissue paper. it also goes under the name "glassine paper." it is crisp and holds a crease but is very springy. if you cannot get tissue paper in oman, you can try ordering it online from origami-shop. note that this stuff is very cheap in the west, will require preparation before use, and therefore you should not spend lots of money for it.
shangoob

Post by shangoob »

Thank you for reminding, but I do not post without making a small research.... The search button on the website was not working at the time, so I think you should learn to check :wink:
http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/1323 ... 202313.jpg

Yet again I thank your fast reply :D , it enabled me to cancel the deal for buying the kite papers which I dont require. Somebody have recommended me buying online, but shipping to my country is expensive which makes it my last choice after checking local stores :)
Joe the white

Post by Joe the white »

Tissue Paper is usually used in gift wrapping in America (and I'd assume most other countries), so it can be found in most stores that carry gift bags and wrapping paper (If your country has that as a tradition).

You can use tissue paper without and additives, but it is not ideal. You could try making "tissue foil", which uses a sheet of alluminum foil between two sheets of tissue and spray glue as the bonder. There are some nice threads on here explaining how to do this. Welcome to the forum :) .
shangoob

Post by shangoob »

thank you for your kind reply, we use for wrapping gifts a fancy looking paper with nice pictures on it and is very thin *i dont think that is a tissue paper*.
what about kite paper is it of any use?? i cant really find good results in google and the forum's search aint working :(
thanks for welcoming :D
Joe the white

Post by Joe the white »

You're welcome :). I've never used or have seen kite paper before in the US, but it does look similar to tissue paper, if not for the plastic-like sheen. Tissue paper is usually placed at the top of gift bags, like this:
http://www.giverslog.com/wrapthegift/wp ... lopes1.jpg

It is usually sold in a plastic wrapper, and the paper folded into a long rectangle.
GWB origami
Forum Sensei
Location: somewhere in the evil netherworld riding a giant, three headed tarantula

Post by GWB origami »

i actually just got some kite paper today! i will see how it is to fold with.
shangoob

Post by shangoob »

Joe the white : i never knew that that paper is tissue paper :lol: i think i knew where to start searching for it :D thanks for info :)

GWB origami: sure take your time..... I will be waiting for your feed back "good luck with it :D"
chesscuber98
Forum Sensei

Post by chesscuber98 »

Hi
Kite paper is basically a type of tissue paper.When i could not find tissue the local origami club told me to try using kite paper.Try making tissue foil from it. It folded pretty well for me.
GWB origami
Forum Sensei
Location: somewhere in the evil netherworld riding a giant, three headed tarantula

Post by GWB origami »

i wanna try that!
GWB origami
Forum Sensei

Post by GWB origami »

okay, i just made a sheet! it seems pretty good and also looks good. also seems a little thicker than normal tissue foil.
GWB origami
Forum Sensei

Post by GWB origami »

i folded a marc vigo snake dragon and it came out great! the kite paper and the foil together made a shiny golden color that i really like.
shangoob

Post by shangoob »

I have been busy thesedays searching for the right material to bond a kite-foil, and finally found :D
thank you for trying out the paper and giving your opinion GWB origami :D.
chesscuber98: thank you for the note.
i asked an old member about the paper since he had an experience with it and folded kamiya's dragon with it! he/she said that it is very good material but is easily torn and hard to reverse folds, it may loose colour with too much folding too.
now i have made a double kitepaper.I wish to succeed into folding Langs samurai helmet beetle :D
bnm70

Post by bnm70 »

What is kite paper?
Origami is like food. You can love it and be obese. Or you can hate it and be and be a"cute". Or you can be a fail and your just that. A fail. Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/76647015@N08/?saved=1
Menschenfeind

Post by Menschenfeind »

bnm70:

Google is your friend, use it.
Go to this link: HERE