preparing and dying paper with methylcellulose...what to use

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
ETMOrigami

Re: preparing and dying paper with methylcellulose...what to

Post by ETMOrigami »

I use plexiglass. It's cheap, fairly easy to clean and, it is easy to pull off the paper after afterwards.
-Ethan Martin,
the friend of any origamist

My flickr
dinogami

Post by dinogami »

OK, let me ask a slightly different question on this topic. Which is better: mixing paint with MC before applying to the paper, or applying MC, letting it dry, then painting the paper? I've been trying both, using (admittedly cheap) acrylic paints. When mixing it with the MC, I find it takes a HUGE amount of paint--more than half a bottle--to get a decent amount of color to the paper (something that isn't thin and washed out). But when I try and paint the paper after MCing and drying, I find that the paint (even when thinned with water) doesn't apply smoothly or evenly, and often leaves a rough, unpleasant texture to the paper. Sometimes it's like it's forming a thick coating that kind of defeats the purpose of having thin paper to begin with. I'm sure that this probably depends on what particular paper is being used (I'm trying it with this kitakata paper, which has its own, other issues), and possibly on the type of paint, but I'm curious what others have found successful in terms of materials and/or techniques. Thanks!
ETMOrigami

Post by ETMOrigami »

I found a topic on this that you can take a look at regarding this kind of stuff: viewtopic.php?t=7098
-Ethan Martin,
the friend of any origamist

My flickr
dinogami

Post by dinogami »

Ah, that's great--didn't turn up in my searches, so apologies for some cross-posting. The info in that post about the sponge brush is nifty; I'll give that a try. I'd still be interested in hearing from anyone that has successfully done good colors mixing paint with MC (as opposed to painting after MCing), as well as what papers work best for this. Thanks!