tissue paper in different colors

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
roodborst
Forum Sensei

tissue paper in different colors

Post by roodborst »

Hi there, I was wondering if tissue paper comes in different colors. After going to every single store in my city that might sell paper, I only found 2 places that sell tissue paper. At one store I bought 100 sheets for like 1.50 euro, but they are all white. At the other store they sell packages of like 5 sheets (one sheet of yellow, red, green, blue, and white). But since I only make animals in origami, those are not the preffered colors. Is there a way to get, or paint tissue paper brown, grey or black? I'm working on a wolf right now that I'm trying to get better, but a green red of blue wolf, just doesn't seem right.
Last edited by roodborst on April 13th, 2012, 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
dragon

Re: tissue paper in different colors

Post by dragon »

I bought most of my tissue paper at the local post office. They had a lot of different colors.,but, I have never seen brown, or grey tissue paper,only black, which I have lots of. You could try to order online, but it would cost extra to ship, if you are worried about price.
If you are making a wolf, then this paper should help. Search around on that site, it is a bit expensive but has good quality paper. There are brown, grey, and black papers made for folding animals.
jeko

Post by jeko »

Hi roodborst,

in order to answer your question it would be really helpful to know where you are from...

In the US you can get tissue paper in many stores that sell stationary as something intended for wrapping gifts as well as in many arts & crafts stores. In Germany I've only seen it in arts & crafts stores (and the selection isn't as great).
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

I'm from the netherlands, holland, where we don't have post offices anymore. They merged with bookstores. Now I've been to every bookstore, artsupply, hobbyshop, etc that my city got. I can only get those primary color packages that I mentioned earlier. I don't have enough money to spend to get paper from around the world. Altough the ' wolf paper' does look very nice, I find it to risky to spend alot of money on something I can't see and feel before I buy it.
Although I did make a rhino with the blue tissue paper that looks nice, I would prefer to make a animal in the color that it has in real life.
loganorigami

Post by loganorigami »

Amazon is quite cheap and has lots of colours.
"the first step towards failure is trying"

my flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/65884349@N03/
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

I found a shop wich sells different colors. 5 sheets 50x 70 cm, for 0.49 euro cent. But I can only buy 10 at a time. So I'll 50 sheets of each color then. Emailed them about it. Nothing they can do. Maybe I'll buy some...
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

Was trying to order. Apparently they forgot to mention the taxes and shipping. 3x 10 packages, would be about 15 euro, but with shipping and taxes I'll be paying 27 euro. That's to much for me, not even knowing if it will be usefull..
Tymalous

Post by Tymalous »

I live in the netherlands as well, and in my city there is a nice store called Harolds. They sell tissue paper in a lot of different colors, 50x70 cm for 0.15 or 0.20 €, as well as other papers suited for origami. Maybe you should try to find one near you (http://www.harolds.nl/).
Tissue Paper + CMC = WIN!
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

Hey tymalous, that store looks great. I live in Dordrecht so I'll be able to go to rotterdam, easily. From what I could see on their site, that would be a trip worth making (only 15 minutes away!). Thanks alot.
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

Thnks again been there today, bought some (a lot actually) light blue, purple and black and brown tissue paper. They didn't have grey, but I picked up some elephant hide paper and hand tossed japanese paper. Just Because I saw some origamimodels made with those types of paper. I'l create another topic to see if people got some advice on what to make with it.
Tymalous

Post by Tymalous »

No problem.
Btw, have you seen any mulberry or lokta paper in store? Last time I went there I could not find any, while it does mention them on the site. If you haven't then I'll ask the employees about it.

With elephant hide it's great to make wet folded models, such as Eric Joisels models and the magic ball. With that japanese paper you can make models that require thin paper, or better said complex models. I haven't tried treating it with mc, but the result should be great.
Tissue Paper + CMC = WIN!
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

I haven't seen the mulberry and lokta papers, but then again I wasn't looking for those, so maybe? It was kinda of a paperoverdose. They got of different types indeed.
I guess I'll try wetfolding the rat mouse from joisel with the elephanthide to get a feel. That's a model I've made lots. Mostly from memoblok sheets so a larger sheet would make it easier. They also had cheap sprayglue, so I guess I'll be spending my day of tomorrow making 16 sheet of tissue foil. And then maybe a rat...
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

Some stuff I've made from the sheets I bought

roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

I accidently triple posted.
Last edited by roodborst on April 19th, 2012, 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

Some stuff I've made from the tissue foil sheets I bought
wolf designed and folded by me.
Unicorn by roman diaz, made this sheet with this model in mind
Image[/url]

I'll post my elephant hide models in that topic.
More pictures of all the models in my gallery/ or flickr