keeping paper models in shape

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
roodborst
Forum Sensei

keeping paper models in shape

Post by roodborst »

Hi there,
I got a question. I've made a lot of models using 40g paper. Only after a week or to my models can't stand anymore, I got a giraffe by komatsu, who is sagging through his hind legs, a rhino by montroll, who is now laying flat on his belly, a divine boar by kamiya that now looks more like a hippo etc etc.

Is this a matter of using the wrong type of paper? To thick paper? Or maybe wetfolding holds the shape?
I've been making tissue foil, wich helps keep the shape alot better, but the feel is different when folding and when I try to make sinks it usually destroys the model. (I killed a komatsu giraffe at step 80 or so, when trying to sink some parts of the legs, really frustating, considering I made tissue foil espescially to make that model and because I spend like 2 hours getting to step 80...)

I would like to know if anyone has any advice on this subject, I'm now throwing away models that looked really nice after spending 3 hours or more on it.
GWB origami
Forum Sensei
Location: somewhere in the evil netherworld riding a giant, three headed tarantula

Re: keeping paper models in shape

Post by GWB origami »

wetfolding works well and if you want to stop being a purist you could use MC.
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

MC is a type of glue, right? Now how does that work?
Trakthor

Post by Trakthor »

MC stands for Methyl Cellulose and in my country it's mostly presented as wallpaper glue. http://www.henkel.com/adhesives/metylan-12349.htm. It's transparent and it stiffens the paper and holds it in place.
I used it to create some tissue paper and also for finishing touches on some models. For example it helped me to fix the arm and violin position in Hoyjo Takashi's Violinist

Also I'm now folding Sipho Mabona's Koi (lots of them) and I want some glossy look. I don't know yet what to use but I think some fast drying lacquer/varnish/enamel/glaze (sorry don't know the word) would be good. I can't soke the paper too much or it will destroy the whole model.