elephant hide and japanese hand tossed paper

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
roodborst
Forum Sensei

elephant hide and japanese hand tossed paper

Post by roodborst »

Today I bought 6 sheets of elephant hide paper, greyish, brownish and blueish. I saw the name of the paper before on this site and others mentioned as being the paper used for the models. So now that I stumbled upon some of the paper, what kind of models is it good for? I've read already that it seems to be working good for wetfolding, wich I've only tried a couple of times.
Suggestions for models are welcome!

I also bought one enormous piece of black japanese hand tossed paper. For the same reason, mainly I recognised the name of the paper. It's really thin. Again what types of models does it work well with? model suggestions or other advice is much aprecciated.
tryingtofoldsumthing

Re: elephant hide and japanese hand tossed paper

Post by tryingtofoldsumthing »

Elephant hide also works very well with tesselations! Thickness rarely matters on tesselations and its strength and ease of reverse-folding make it an optimum paper for tesselations. It is also good for modulars. Wetfolding is also really good for elephant hide tho!

Hmmm, don't recognize the paper, would have to know a little more than that. But it would probably be good for complex models, i.e models with a lot of layers. The large size also seems to suggest this.
Matt
If it's just mountain and valley folds, how hard could it be?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tryingtofoldsumthing/
Trakthor

Post by Trakthor »

Some of the models folded from elephant hide. It's suitable for dry folding and it's excellent for wet folding. I use it mainly on not complex models, but it can be used on some harder ones. When you make a fold it stays there and does not tend to open. There is a problem with reverse folding of already folded lines, but it's not impossible. Also the main issue is its thickness.
Diamond (Satoshi Kamiya) by Trakthor, on Flickr
Triceratops skeleton (Issei Yoshino) by Trakthor, on Flickr
Skull (Hojyo Takashi) by Trakthor, on Flickr
Gato (cat) (Román Díaz) by Trakthor, on Flickr
Roc (Román Díaz) by Trakthor, on Flickr
Shell (David Derudas) by Trakthor, on Flickr
Hippocampus (Román Díaz) by Trakthor, on Flickr
Buho (owl) (Román Díaz) by Trakthor, on Flickr
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

Trakhtor thanks for your explanation. I'm not into testallations, I'm more of an animal person. I've wetfolded two of my own models with the elephant hide paper, since I've been making these two models mostly over the last few weeks to get them better and better.
These are the results:

I didn't have any tape or elastic band to keep it together so I've used garbagebage 'twisters', there is picture of the model in my gallery fully ready to dry.

Now for the crown on my work: A wolf by my own design.

This one took alot of time, this time I had tape and bands to get it in the desired shape. I must say next time I'm buying more elephant hide for this is the nicest model I've ever created thusfar.