Lokta Compared to Tissue Paper

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
JumPurge

Lokta Compared to Tissue Paper

Post by JumPurge »

I've recently bought some tissue that I plan on making into double, if not triple tissue paper.

Now, I think I want to fold Joisels mermaid again. I folded it from a really thin ivory lokta before(I think I should have used thicker and larger sheet) and it worked great, but it needs to be better... Are lokta and tissue (double or triple) similar in appearance when done? I know lokta has more fabric appearance, but I wonder if that makes a difference in making it look most like Joisel's model here:

And my original redition in lokta herere:
maddoghoek100

Re: Lokta Compared to Tissue Paper

Post by maddoghoek100 »

personally i find it zero fun to fold double tissue, so i would take lotka or hanji pre-treated with a ton of MC every time. great texture, great for wet folding and shaping

probably more about personal preference
JumPurge

Post by JumPurge »

Well, I tried to for this already, didn't work too well.
And I'm looking for if it works the same.
gachepapier
Forum Sensei

Post by gachepapier »

No way it'll be the same. Tissue has rather short fibers and will feel and render more like pulp by the time you start shaping things, whereas loktas has long, strong fibers which give a feeling and rendition which are a bit more like cloth.
mes p'tits plis (now also in English)
JumPurge

Post by JumPurge »

Yes. :c
Is there a way to alter it to be more like lokta?
Because the two of Joisels mermaids I provided seem sort of like a stiff/crisp version of lokta, or a mix of the two.
mummykicks

Post by mummykicks »

JumPurge wrote:Yes. :c
Because the two of Joisels mermaids I provided seem sort of like a stiff/crisp version of lokta, or a mix of the two.
I haven't actually tried this, but thought about it before I started making my own paper.
You can find abacca tissue from archiving suppliers that you can then MC to your tissue. I frequently mc tissue (single or double) to a piece of handmade paper (abaca/flax blend) because it gives it nice color variations and excellent foldability. Another thing that I thought might work is getting lense cleaning tissue. I've seen very thin sheets that are abaca that ought to lend the long fiber characteristics you want to add to the tissue.
I've used the commercial lens cleaning tissue for it's intended purpose and remember it being quite stiff for how thin it was (thinner than standard tissue paper if I recall).
JumPurge

Post by JumPurge »

mummykicks wrote:
JumPurge wrote:Yes. :c
I haven't actually tried this, but thought about it before I started making my own paper.
You can find abacca tissue from archiving suppliers that you can then MC to your tissue. I frequently mc tissue (single or double) to a piece of handmade paper (abaca/flax blend) because it gives it nice color variations and excellent foldability. Another thing that I thought might work is getting lense cleaning tissue. I've seen very thin sheets that are abaca that ought to lend the long fiber characteristics you want to add to the tissue.
I've used the commercial lens cleaning tissue for it's intended purpose and remember it being quite stiff for how thin it was (thinner than standard tissue paper if I recall).
I want to make my own paper, but have no resources :P
I'll definitely give the lens cleaning tissue a try. :)
Would I just sandwich it or would I need to use this tissue on the one side, kind of like a duo-coloured paper?
mummykicks

Post by mummykicks »

JumPurge wrote: I want to make my own paper, but have no resources :P
I'll definitely give the lens cleaning tissue a try. :)
Would I just sandwich it or would I need to use this tissue on the one side, kind of like a duo-coloured paper?
Generally I do a duo color, I don't think I've tried a sandwich, but can't imagine it wouldn't work. Just to give you an idea. This is some black handmade with a single sheet of white tissue:
Trollip's gray wolf by mummykicks, on Flickr

I expect black tissue with white lens tissue would give a similar effect.

This is black homemade with white DTMC:
Trollip's oryx test fold by mummykicks, on Flickr

Which would be the same as a sandwich in terms of thickness. This paper thickness and size is about the max for thickness for a model like this as I'd like to do. Note how the ears stick out because of the thickness. It still wetfolded down nicely (not shown in this photo). It took two sheets of white tissue to make the model appear white. Even though the black sheet was slightly thinner than the DTMC sheet.
I don't have the site I found handy, but with about 1/2 hour of searching you'll find a source that will sell you on a per sheet basis.
If you do do this I'd like to hear the result.
JumPurge

Post by JumPurge »

Well, I'm using an ivory tissue with what will be a lens tissue, so I doubt I would worry about thickness. Especially since it's for a re-do of joisel's mermaid.
or I could use a calligraphy rice paper... then again it tears like crazy with MC :(
mummykicks

Post by mummykicks »

JumPurge wrote:Well, I'm using an ivory tissue with what will be a lens tissue, so I doubt I would worry about thickness. Especially since it's for a re-do of joisel's mermaid.
or I could use a calligraphy rice paper... then again it tears like crazy with MC :(
I would definitely do at least a DTMC+lens tissue for that unless it's a small square you are folding.
I would MC the lens tissue to your surface first, let it dry, then do a DTMC of whatever tissue you're using to it. I know the sheets I make shrink dramatically because I beat the pulp like crazy. You'd probably want to test to see if the abaca lense tissue shrinks a great deal drying or not before trying to combine it with something else. Sheets less than 18" square or so should be OK. If you're making a 30"+ size sheet it might give you some problems. Sounds like a good project.
JumPurge

Post by JumPurge »

mummykicks wrote:
JumPurge wrote:Well, I'm using an ivory tissue with what will be a lens tissue, so I doubt I would worry about thickness. Especially since it's for a re-do of joisel's mermaid.
I would definitely do at least a DTMC+lens tissue for that unless it's a small square you are folding.
I would MC the lens tissue to your surface first, let it dry, then do a DTMC of whatever tissue you're using to it. I know the sheets I make shrink dramatically because I beat the pulp like crazy. You'd probably want to test to see if the abaca lense tissue shrinks a great deal drying or not before trying to combine it with something else. Sheets less than 18" square or so should be OK. If you're making a 30"+ size sheet it might give you some problems. Sounds like a good project.
Alright, thanks :)