paper selection help

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
OrigamiGeek
Forum Sensei

paper selection help

Post by OrigamiGeek »

In this next school year I want to try out some new paper I just don't know what type I should use for: Insects, birds, animals and other complex things.

I would like to try out some different types of paper like: TISSUE-FOIL PAPERS, Washi, Tissue Paper, TANT PAPERS, VOG papers, LOKTA PAPERS and ELEPHANT HIDE PAPERS

and if it is no trouble could make a quick description of each of the papers and if possible show a picture of a finished moddle with the paper so I can see what it looks like ;)

Thanks so much in advance

Edit: I am going to order from origamiShop.com if that makes any difference
Check out my gallery and don't forget to leave a comment!
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Re: paper selection help

Post by roodborst »

Since I have only used tissue foil (homemade) and elephant hide, as far as i know, I'll stick to those. You can take a look at my gallery, there are some of the same models done with different types of paper. Wolf, with normal paper, TF and EH etc.

Tissue Foil:
Tissue foil is really thin, so it can be used on complex, or multi layer models. The head on my cat for example would surely rip when using normal paper. Because it has foil in between it's easier to shape than normal paper. Because of the foil it is hard though to reverse folds. Sinking gets really hard, at least for me, but I'm getting better at it with lots of practice. You can buy it at the site you mentioned but it is not so hard to make it yourself. Again it takes some practice. There are a couple of tutorials on youtube. I use sprayglue but you can also use MC. Sprayglue seems easier to use to me at least. When you look at my gallery you'll see I rarely use normal paper since I'm able to make tissue foil.

Elephant hide:
I have just recently bought my first sheets of EH. It is very thick, but it's got a kinds 'plastic' layer on top and it has got a kinda 'marble' look to it. Since it is thick it gets hard to make multilayered models, but it is great for wetfolding. Because of the 'plastic' the square stays a square when it gets wet. Because of the wetfolding you can make more rounded edges. Look at the wolf in my gallery. I think you can really see the difference. The first few are done with normal paper, then I made some with TF, and the last one is with EH.
When you wetfold a model, you'll have to use some tape and elastic bands to keep the shape. I stuff it with toilet paper and then let it dry. The result is almost like a statue. I just finished two models, a basset hound and a bulldog by quentin trollip done like this, and I'm waiting for them to dry while i'm typing this post. You can see result in gallery soon.

Just like you, I was wondering what the different types of paper where that are mentioned frequently here on the forum. That was just a couple of months ago, now I'm making my own tissue foil, and am trying to design some of my own stuff, and I'm wetfolding some stuff aswell!
OrigamiGeek
Forum Sensei

Re: paper selection help

Post by OrigamiGeek »

^_* Thanks so much for taking the time to tell me about the papers. I have some spray glue so I will make my own tissue foil. It is too bat I can't even get white tissue paper where I live :(. I might fold insects with tf and other models like animals. I think I will try some of the eh too thanks for telling me how you wet fold because I only have wet folded one model. I think I will put cotton in side because I think It will look better like what you said. and thanks again :D

[edit] I am going to Amsterdam this summer and just going to sit around. You might know where I can get paper.
Check out my gallery and don't forget to leave a comment!