2m by 2m paper/3m by 3m paper (SG/MSIA)

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
nubstick

2m by 2m paper/3m by 3m paper (SG/MSIA)

Post by nubstick »

hi !

i have been rather curious, is anyone able to find paper bigger than 1 metre by 1 metre to fold origami? for example to fold the ryujin, a 3m by 3m paper could do well although it would really need some space to do the folding;

with particular reference to singapore and msia, anyone able to buy the paper anywhere? or must we glue smaller pieces of papers together to obtain such large pieces of paper?

thanks!
Baltorigamist

Re: 2m by 2m paper/3m by 3m paper (SG/MSIA)

Post by Baltorigamist »

3m x 3m wouldn't work very well for the Ryujin anyway--it's just too big, and there would be too much paper to deal with. Also, as stated in another topic somewhere, it would lose the "magic" that it gets from being made of paper.

I'm in the US and I don't know anything about that region of the world, but I'm pretty sure you need to glue/tape smaller sheets together. I've bought 4' x 12' rolls of paper, and they could work for a Ryujin if you made four 4' squares and glued them together.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
dragon

Post by dragon »

I want to fold Bahamut/ The Ancient Dragon out of 60x60cm or 70x70cm paper, but the largest paper that I have is 50cmx75cm. How would you mc the two sheets together without them warping?
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

You could just tape them together. As long as you're careful, it works almost as well as gluing, and I've never had any issues.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
dragon

Post by dragon »

Thanks, but wouldn't it be hard to fold over tape? The creases might not be as prominent.
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

You just need to sharpen them a bit more. I do it all the time, and I've never had any problems.
Watch it with high stress points, though--the tape wants to split.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
mummykicks

Post by mummykicks »

nubstick wrote:hi !

i have been rather curious, is anyone able to find paper bigger than 1 metre by 1 metre to fold origami? for example to fold the ryujin, a 3m by 3m paper could do well although it would really need some space to do the folding;

with particular reference to singapore and msia, anyone able to buy the paper anywhere? or must we glue smaller pieces of papers together to obtain such large pieces of paper?

thanks!
I saw a post quite some time ago about getting large rolls from staples that supposedly aren't too bad for folding. I think they were 6' wide, so pretty close to 2m.