Cobra GSM

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
NicholasA

Cobra GSM

Post by NicholasA »

Hi,

I have been searching for paper to use for Ronald Koh's king cobra.
He suggests using paper of 90 to 120 gsm. Isn't this very thick? Why would this be needed?

I may be able to get kraft paper of appropriate size but it is 28 gsm, do you guys think this would still work?

Thanks!

N
Baltorigamist

Re: Cobra GSM

Post by Baltorigamist »

Standard copy paper is about 75-85gsm, so it's thicker than normal origami paper. I believe most of the model is just crossed pleats, so the extra thickness would be used to help preserve the model's structural integrity.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
NicholasA

Post by NicholasA »

Looks like the best option here is to glue the kraft to foil. Just not sure how best to glue sheets of that length accurately...
mummykicks

Post by mummykicks »

NicholasA wrote:Hi,

I have been searching for paper to use for Ronald Koh's king cobra.
He suggests using paper of 90 to 120 gsm. Isn't this very thick? Why would this be needed?

I may be able to get kraft paper of appropriate size but it is 28 gsm, do you guys think this would still work?

Thanks!

N
I folded the head out of some kraft paper that worked fine, and it's around 60gsm or about .003" thick (.08mm). MC the kraft paper first so you can wetfold it later to get everything to stay where you want...