Were can i find thin paper?

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
Bon-origami

Were can i find thin paper?

Post by Bon-origami »

Hello everybody

I'm searching for thin paper (like tissui foil) but i live in holland and i cant buy at origami-shop.com because i dont have the right paying methode. Does someone know were i can get this kind of paper ? Somewhat heavier paper is also good but now i have nothing so.. Please help me [-o<

Thanks in advance Daan
Baltorigamist

Re: Were can i find thin paper?

Post by Baltorigamist »

Most craft stores sell tracing paper. I don't know about any in Holland, but you should find some there.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
Flame_Kurosei

Post by Flame_Kurosei »

Most groceries here in the US (cannot say the same for Holland) have thin kraft paper that is thin and sturdy (also known as food wrapping paper, or sandwich wrap paper--comes in brown or white).
A tiny place to post my things. Enjoy~
http://flamekurosei.deviantart.com/
Bon-origami

Post by Bon-origami »

Thanks for your reply!

Does someone knows the name of tracing paper in dutch?

And i do have kraft but that was 80gr so still not very good and about tha baking paper is that just that paper from the grocerie that is called baking paper? (i think you mean that but dont know sure)

Greets Daan
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

Hhhmmm I posted a very big reply that would answer most of you questions. But it is not here. Maybe because I did it in dutch? I had the same problem some time ago. You see al kinds of papers mentioned on this forum but you have no clue what it is in dutch or where to get it, so I'll try to help you out.

I'll try again using mostly english:

Tissue foil paper is zijdevloeipapier with aluminium foil glued to it. Check Youtube or google to find out how to make it. In Rotterdam there is a store Harolds who sell multiple colors. This store sells a big variatie of papers. I would recommend finding such a store (art, teken, schilder winkel). They will sell you all you need. Once you know how to make it, it's a good way too spend a lazy sunday and create enough paper for the rest of the month.

Kraftpaper, is kaftpapier of inpakpapier. you can buy that at HEMA or V&D etc. Thin, foldeable, but doesn't always look to nice in my opinion.

Tracingpaper is I think: overtrekpapier. You know when you made a drawing you can use this almost seethrough paper so you can go over the lines with a pencil, to make a copy. Never used it for origami myself.

Sandwichpaper. I'm still not sure what this is myself.

Bakingpaper is indeed bakpapier. Also very thin but hard to fold. Also because its on a roll, And likely will not want to lay flat.

Kraft and bakingpaper are good for practise. Also you can go to a "kantoorboekhandel" (office supply). They usually have some colored paper, where you can feel if it's not too thick.
I recommend trying to make your own tissuefoil. You can get different colors, it's thin, folds nicely although a bit crumply at times and it's cheap. 20cts a sheat. and you can decide the size of the square yourself.

Hope this helps
Adam

Post by Adam »

roodborst wrote: Bakingpaper is indeed bakpapier. Also very thin but hard to fold. Also because its on a roll, And likely will not want to lay flat.
I've found baking paper to be very convenient to fold with. It's relatively thin, holds creases well and is pretty strong. Its only downside it can be a bit slippery, and, while thinner than the average sheet of paper, it can still be too thick for complex models (such as insects).
A huge plus for baking paper is that it's cheap, and translucent (which makes it very suitable for tessellations).

Single-layered tissue paper ('zijdevloei') is almost impossible to fold with, so you'll need to bind two sheets together using MC. MC can be bought at stores like Pipoos very cheaply. You might want to see if there's a Peter van Ginkel store near wherever you live, as they have some really nice paper in stock.

I think most stores call Unryu 'Japanse zijde'. This is a fantastic paper to fold with, once you've MC-treated it.
Bon-origami

Post by Bon-origami »

Thank you adam, i will soon go to that store because now im busy with shool and stuff so once i have it you guys will know it :D
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

Hey adam, how come someone from singapore knows about dutch stores?

@bon-origami: I would suggest getting into making you're own tissue foil. It's cheaper then buying online and the process of making is also kinda nice
Bon-origami

Post by Bon-origami »

Roodborst so you mean not two layers of tissue paper but one layer and foil on the other side? And do you have experience with thai unryu?
Adam

Post by Adam »

roodborst wrote:Hey adam, how come someone from singapore knows about dutch stores?
Well, I'm not really from Singapore. I lived there for a (short) while, but have now moved to the Netherlands. Haven't visited the forums for a long time, so I hadn't updated my location :)
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

@ Bon origami: You can make it with one layer of tissue, but it's better to make two layers so:
tissue-foil-tissue. Because if the model got a colorchange you will see the foil.

@ adam: Ok now I understand!
GWB origami
Forum Sensei
Location: somewhere in the evil netherworld riding a giant, three headed tarantula

Post by GWB origami »

i like to use thai unryu which is available at many craft stores in my area.
Bon-origami

Post by Bon-origami »

I bought it!!!

Made my first piece of tissue foil :)
Am going to try to fold something very quick
mummykicks

Post by mummykicks »

http://store.hiromipaper.com/
They've got a wide selection various handmade and machine made paper in both sheet and roll format. The manila hemp is abaca, and will work very well MC'd to regular tissue paper, as will any of the kozo or thinner gampi stuff.

You can order a conservation sample book for $15 that has 3-4" squares so you can test fold to figure out what you like.
origamibeast

Post by origamibeast »

i like using butchers paper its nice and thin i got the paper at the butchers store for free
:mrgreen: