Where to buy large squares of foil?

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
Baltorigamist

Where to buy large squares of foil?

Post by Baltorigamist »

I remember at Centerfold 2011, Michael Assis was teaching his Alarm Clock model, and he supplied us all with very large (50-60cm or more) squares of foil paper.
Given the quickly-increasing complexity of my designs, I need larger squares of foil paper like that for several of my models. But where do I find them? I've checked Nicolas Terry's site, OUSA, and a few others, but none of them seem to have foil paper larger than about 15-30cm.

I get the feeling that I've been looking in the wrong places, but I don't know where else to look. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
steingar

Re: Where to buy large squares of foil?

Post by steingar »

OUSA always has outsized sheets available at the Convention. I don't know if they sell those through the source or not. They also sell large (24 inch) packs of Kami.
Joe the white

Post by Joe the white »

For foil, the OUSA Convention usually has extra large sheets of paper in the vendor's area, I'm not sure which vendors though. In 2004 I bought several square sheets of what seemed to be japanese foil that were around 2.5-3 feet, and again in 2007 I bought several square sheets, but they seemed more like american foil that were around the same dimensions. Both times they were white and gold in color. Maybe someone at OUSA or on the O-List might remember the vendor, I'm very sure that it wasn't "The Source" because it was in the same area as the Origamido table in 2007.

Here is a map from memory:

A non-foil solution could be to use MC back-coated or treated tissue paper, or use it as tissue foil (personally, I prefer the tissue by itself).
GWB origami
Forum Sensei
Location: somewhere in the evil netherworld riding a giant, three headed tarantula

Post by GWB origami »

just to be annoying the table for origamido is a little shorter. i never saw the large foil :-s i would like to use it for the Bahamut which i just finished.
Joe the white

Post by Joe the white »

Which year(s) did you attend? It was there both times for me, as described above in 2007, and in 2004 when the vendor's room was in the same area as the usual saturday night dinner (the huge foil paper was in the room to the right of the elevator, in the corner of the building, sorta near the stairwell). Michael and Richard didn't attend in 2004, so no Origamido, but they had some as a prize for part of the raffle.
GWB origami
Forum Sensei
Location: somewhere in the evil netherworld riding a giant, three headed tarantula

Post by GWB origami »

only the most recent ones (2011 and 2012). in the 2012 i actually took a class from Michael LaFosse!
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

Thanks for the tips, but it's difficult for me to get to the OUSA convention because 1) I'm a minor still, so I can't drive myself, and 2) I live a few hundred miles west of NYC.
Any information on the source of the foil, or would I need to contact OUSA myself?
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

here ya go. 10 meters long, 50cm wide roll.

for you non metric system people, thats 394 by 19.7 inches.
http://www.origami-shop.com/en/goldfoil ... 3-675.html

rather cheap too.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

Thanks a lot!
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
phillipcurl