A wide, really heavy, and inexpensive paper to fold

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
psaalbach

A wide, really heavy, and inexpensive paper to fold

Post by psaalbach »

Hello All. For a very large origami model, I need very heavy paper (about 200+ gsm ... would 140 lb.+ be equivalent?) and at least 48 inches wide that will likely come on a roll (I haven't found sheets bigger than 22x30) -- an even wider roll would be extra wonderful. I'm assuming the paper color will be some form of white, although I started the search looking at really heavy kraft paper and then maybe spray painting it (I like that idea less at the moment).

I've been on sites like DIck Blick that has art paper in rolls, but ... Yikes! ... the price (for this particular project).

Have you folded successfully with really heavy paper for a big big model?
- if so, which one(s),
and
- how did the creases turn out? Were they tidy, acceptable ones?

I need to find a solution in the next few days, if at all possible, to determine if the project is even do-able. But, if the conversation goes on through early November, that will still be helpful.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Pamela
origami_8
Administrator

Re: A wide, really heavy, and inexpensive paper to fold

Post by origami_8 »

The first paper that comes to my mind that you can get in that size or bigger but a little bit less heavy would be background boards. Since the weight doesn't necessarily say anything about stiffness, foldability, crispness and so on, you would have to try out whether it fits your needs. Modulor carries a nice assortment of bright colours: http://www.modulor.de/shop/oxid.php/sid ... /anid/DANG
Joe the white

Post by Joe the white »

I've folded an 8ft Floderer mushroom (as well as many other models from smaller sheets) from art paper rolls, like those sold on Dick Blick. The paper doesn't tend to support its own weight, but it is easy to fold and works nicely for creating large origami models.

It'd be difficult to find a paper stiff enough on its own to support the weight of a standard model. I've seen Robert Lang and Joseph Wu fold very large models, I'm not sure what paper they used however (or if it was custom made), you might want to drop them a line at their respective websites ( langorigami.com and origami.as ). I've also heard of people using photographic backdrop paper, but I'm not sure how foldable it is.
psaalbach

Post by psaalbach »

Thanks to both of you ... origami_8 and Joe the white, for your responses. If I may ask your opinion, what do you think about this?

http://www.artpaper.com/mm5/merchant.mv ... e=Featured

It is certainly not inexpensive, but perhaps one cannot have everything? I checked some of my stash of watercolor paper that was marked as 214 gsm, and it seems to have the "feel" of being able to support itself if folded large. The 300 gsm seemed far too stiff (?) The product in the link above is 250 gsm. Is it worth a go, do you think?

Also, I will continue to explore Mr. Lang and Mr. Wu, as well as a couple of others who come to mind ...

Again, many thanks!

Pamela
Joe the white

Post by Joe the white »

That is a pretty thick paper, about 1/10th of an inch thick (around 3 times as thick as standard copy paper). You would probably have to wetfold it, and that might help give it support in general by causing it to stiffen up afterwards.
psaalbach

Post by psaalbach »

Wetfolding is an interesting idea, joe_the_white.

It appears I can purchase tablets locally of a couple of the papers I'm looking at in rolls to use for experimentation purposes. That way, maybe I can anticipate some of the limitations that would likely be encountered on a much larger scale ?

Learning about paper is humbling ... so many types, then the individual's experience with each one in different scenarios . Wow.