Double tissue question

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
ginshun

Double tissue question

Post by ginshun »

Has anybody made double tissue using spray adhesive?

Just wondering if this works well and what the disadvantages of this would be over using MC.

Basically what is going on is I have made tissue foil using spay adhesive a bunch of times to great success, but would like to try some double tissue, and I am having trouble finding MC locally.

I may just end up ordering some, but since I already have spray adhesive...
origami_8
Administrator

Re: Double tissue question

Post by origami_8 »

The MC adds sizing to your paper, that's like the internal glue that bonds paper together. If you make double tissue paper this works out in a way that the two layers of paper become like one crisp sheet. Tissue paper alone isn't any good for folding. It rips easily, is soft and has no strength. The MC adds all those properties it is missing, making the paper strong and crisp. The spray glue does not add those properties, it makes just two glued together sheets of tissue paper. They are soft, rip easily and are hard to fold (yes I tried). If you really can not find any Methyl Cellulose in your area try making starch glue instead. It should work just like MC. MC is often sold as wallpaper paste in hardware, craft or paint stores. I've also heard of people buying it at a pharmacy. It is a white powder that has to be diluted with water to become a gooey solution.
ginshun

Post by ginshun »

Thanks. I found some wallpaper paste that i think is MC. It is a powder. At the very least it is starch glue, will try that.
Langko

Post by Langko »

I made double tissue once using spray glue and the paper worked out fine...
The only limit in origami is your imagination and your patience
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/langko/
ginshun

Post by ginshun »

In case anybody is wondering, Zinsser SureGrip All Purpose Adhesive & Wall Size IS NOT methyl cellulose. I tried it and it didn't work all that great, so I called the company and asked. I don't know exactly what it is, but it is a synthetic product.